Quake

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby HotWax » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:15 pm

Enjay wrote:The point that had me stumped for days the first time I played Hexen was finding a certain key. I don't remember which one it was, but I think it was tucked away in the back of a darkened alcove inside some sort of cave or tunnel complex. Or maybe it was the entrance to the cave that was hidden. Anyway, whatever it was, I remember that when I found it, I was like "aw, that's just crap, how the feck was I supposed to spot that". Two of my friends were also stuck at the same point, so it wasn't just me. We'd all spent literally days wandering around levels in the hub that were all but cleared out apart from the occasional spawning monster put in to "liven" things up. Regardless of that, the hub was empty, and we were stuck - and it felt like it - we were bored. Because of the poor location of the problem item/area there was no feeling of satisfaction or reward on finding it either.

After that, I went on and finished the game. Strange though it may sound, that one incident with the key (or whatever) was enough to tarnish the game for me. It didn't seem right or fair and that feeling lasted. I guess I never really felt warm towards Hexen again after that, despite all the cool stuff it could do. And the limited number of weapons available per class - therefore per game - was unsatisfying, especially as there was very little between weapons that were a bit crap, and the pretty powerful "Boss" weapons. And the general illogicality of the maps and puzzles (esp hub1) was very frustrating.

Yeah, so anyway, I second Cyb's recommendation of "Wolfen". In many ways it feels like Hexen should have done, but didn't.

Yeah. What he said.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:23 pm

As for the other classes.... well... I think I might have played them a couple of times.... the cleric gets that poison flechette which is good for dealing with centaurs...

I always play as the cleric. From what I've noticed, however, the flechette barely affects those bastard centaurs - it stops them dead in their tracks, sure, but they just stand there yelping and coughing without really taking much damage. I've always used the cleric's flechette for Chaos Serpents - they die in an instant once they get in a cloud of that crap.
I thought that the enemies in Hexen were well-done. No matter how much you disliked the game, you gotta admit, those were some tough monsters - the reavers and dark bishops are the sole reason that I never, ever, EVER play as the fighter.
Anonymous

Postby Chilvence » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:32 pm

Flechettes no good eh? Stun em, then whack em!

I dont think I've ever played the game properly as anything but fighter. For those two monsters, well the fighters got the speed to dodge those missiles, and his melee weapons rip them apart in two or three strikes. I think theyre much more difficult when they are dodging your shots...
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:35 pm

I love the cleric for his fire spell. It's practically instantaneous and very amusing to watch - you can use it like an anti-aircraft gun for those damn bishops. Plus, you have to admit, the Wraithverge is the most impressive weapon in the game...

I wonder if I could port that thing over to Doom...
Anonymous

Postby Chilvence » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:50 pm

Yeah, you just need to put all the relevent sprites into a wad, load it and type "addslot 7 cweapwraithverge" at the console. then of course "give cweapwraithverge"
Chilvence

Postby cccp_leha » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:59 pm

FYI, I just loaded up Hexen in full ZDoom glory. The first level was not without fun, but halfway through "Seven Portals" I quit. Damn, it is a pain in the ass. What you guys said - I agree with 100%. A potentially good idea that was executed rather poorly; it's just such a drag solving puzzles by thirds and pulling random switches, trying to guess which will happen first: fall asleep staring at that blue axe while killing the same ettin over and over again, or find what the switch accomplished. It's just a darker, more moody and more boring Heretic, if you ask me.
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:20 am

Don't judge Hexen by just the first hub. The rest really is much better and less boring.
Plus, if you know the goal of the hub (in the first hub it's - gasp - opening the seven portals!) you should always know where to look if a switch apparently didn't do anything. All important switches in the hub that do something else give a message. And if you are really stuck you can always take a look at http://www.raven-games.com/hxwalk/. The synopsis of the puzzles given there should normally be enough to solve it without reading the detailed walkthrough itself.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:53 am

Liam wrote:I wonder if I could port that thing over to Doom...

See Cyb's Massmouth 2 weapon 7.

Well well I just managed to finish hub 1 in 7 hours O_O and the next hub well.. took even longer. About 30 I think. (Not the first try to play thru Hexen!) You definitely need a walkthrough text until you memorized the way and order to switch-es.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:41 am

I play both Hubs 1+2 in just under 2 hours and that's without walkthrough and making lots of small errors. 30 hours for hub 2 is, well, a lot of time.
You don't need a walkthrough. For hub 2 knowing your objective is fully sufficient to solve it rather quickly. There aren't many cross-level puzzles in that one (except the main puzzle, I believe)
Graf Zahl

Postby Lexus Alyus » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:44 am

It didn't take me long to finish the first hub, it was the second hub that stumped me... Then I'm sure I cheated the rest through, so when I played it again I knew exactly where to go... itr was fun that time :-D. I don't know, i never really got incredibly stuck and nothing really annoyed me about the game... maybe I've got significantly better navigational skills than all of you :twisted:

Jon, I didn't say that...

As for the wraitheverge, I think it makes a great UNMAKER :twisted:. I took skyjakes weapon sprites and just summoned the wraitheverge into Doom, it was great :-D. Once I've finished ROTGS2 I'm gonna make a DM set with the themes from ROTGS2 (and the same weapons and sounds) and add the UNMAKER :twisted: as the ultimate weapon :-), should make for a fun DM, especially as you have to collect all three peices before you can use the weapon :-).

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Chilvence » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:13 am

You mean Scuba Steve right? Skyjake is the Doomsday programmer.
Chilvence

Postby Anonymous » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:49 pm

I agree that the 'Seven Doors' hub is a little weak ... there's no premise and the levels don't make much sense. It's just a bunch of switch-pulling. After that, IMO, it's uphill all the way - the Heresiarch's Seminary is a really intense one (especially when you actually face the Heresiarch himself).
I think people need to give the game more of a chance. I like the fact that you don't get many weapons - it emphasizes the strengths and weaknesses of each class. The fighter is supposed to be easiest to start with and hardest to finish with, and it's vice-versa for the mage. Also, whenever I got stuck in an area, I just stopped running around like crazy and began to take an interest in my surroundings, as well as using the automap constantly. Doing that, I passed the game after about 8 or 9 total hours of playing spread over 4 days.
Anonymous

Postby Nanami » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:03 pm

I've always liked the cleric, because he seems the best all around.

His starting weapon is fast and powerful; not as much as the fighter but better than the mage at least. His serpent staff is good because it's rapid fire and takes little mana. The fire weapon is very cool because it can take just about anything down. And yes, the wraithverge is the best weapon in my opinion. MUCH more useful than the bloodscourge.

I'm working on a Doom mod where I'm using a bunch of weapons from Hexen and Heretic. I ended up using all of the cleric's weapons, one of the figher's, and two of the mage's. It's a real shame I can't use the cleric flechettes, but the fighter flechettes make good grenades.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:31 pm

Nanami wrote:It's a real shame I can't use the cleric flechettes, but the fighter flechettes make good grenades.

You should be able to add all 3 kinds of flechettes to the inventory with giveinventory("ArtiPoisonBagx"); with x being 1,2 or 3. Which one is given to a player is determined while picking it up. Inside the inventory they are 3 totally different inventory items although they all use the same icon. (I wonder whether this can be done in a more flexible way)
Graf Zahl

Postby Nanami » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:15 pm

Wow! You're right! I just tried it, and it DOES work!

RANDY, YOU NEED TO ADD SUPPORT FOR MAKING DIFFERENT GRAPHICS FOR EACH FLECHETTE SO WE CAN USE ALL THREE IF WE WANT!! PLEASE!!
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

PreviousNext

Return to General