The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Mannequin

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by Mannequin »

I've just installed Linux Mint 11 (64 bit) and have recompiled ZDoom for it. It's working like a charm. :)

-M.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

So, similar thing, I've just built ZDoom (regular, not GZDoom) on a fresh install of 64-bit Mint 11, but it's not entirely going smoothly. The game runs a bit choppy, not unplayably, so, but it feels more like playing in the DOS EXE rather than the smoothness I get on Windows. I tried different resolutions and different MIDI player options, but if that had any effect it wasn't a noticeable one.

Edit edit: or maybe it's still choppy either way the bar is...
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

What happens if you set the cvar cl_capfps to 0 or 1? Does it change something?
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Edward-san wrote:What happens if you set the cvar cl_capfps to 0 or 1? Does it change something?
It was set to 0 by default, as I expected, but changing it either way doesn't change much.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

Which hardware do you have? (most importantly the CPU)
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

In addition, what fps are we talking about when you say "choppy." I know the Linux builds have an issue with uncapped frame rates jerking whenever the frame rate changes (which I assume has something to do with the lack of vsync). With cl_capfps on it should feel like vanilla in the sense that it caps to 35fps which is desirable in this case since the aforementioned problem.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Can't see shaders menu in GZDoom, BUT I see that menu in Skulltag (running Ubuntu 10.04, ATI mobility HD 4250)

How can I enable it? :roll:
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Edward-san wrote:Which hardware do you have? (most importantly the CPU)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 545
GFX: ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Using free drivers--should this make a difference for software ZDoom?)
RAM: 8 gigs
HD Space: Plenty
Blzut3 wrote:In addition, what fps are we talking about when you say "choppy." I know the Linux builds have an issue with uncapped frame rates jerking whenever the frame rate changes (which I assume has something to do with the lack of vsync). With cl_capfps on it should feel like vanilla in the sense that it caps to 35fps which is desirable in this case since the aforementioned problem.
According to vid_fps, over 300 but below 400 most of the time. On Windows it's generally in excess of 500 on the same map, but even at 300 I would think it would be totally smooth, so maybe something else is going on? Might be the problem you're describing, but using the DOS frame limit isn't an improvement.

I thought about trying different MIDI playback methods from the options in case that was slowing things down, but they all seem to perform about the same.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

Yeah you're going to get choppiness at any frame rate over your refresh rate. cl_capfps works great for me, but of course you'd have to get used to the DOS frame rate. The free drivers could make a difference as after the scene is rendered it needs to get to your graphics card some how. I know, for example, using a compositing window manager can significantly speed up ZDoom.

I use the catalyst drivers, so I would recommend trying that.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

For some reason I cannot get any sound while MOC is playing. Is there any way around this?
(note: the executable (GZDoom 1260) was originally compiled on Mint 11, for whatever reason I can't download all the required libraries in #! to recompile) righto, actually reading what those commands say in the compiling instructions.

Anyway, I'm also not getting the queryiwad menu in the newest subversion (GZDoom 1280), if I set it to true I default to Harmony, or Chex3 if Harmony is not found. This was (and still is) working fine with the 1260 Mint compile. Help plzkthx?
phual

Post by phual »

I recently planned to return to playing doom after an absence and came to compile on my newly installed OpenSuse 12.1. I immediately ran into a problem.. I can't find fmodex in the repositories any more.

Just wondering what others do about fmodex (i.e. do you compile it or install from repo) - especially anyone else who is a OpenSuse user.

Stuart
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

phual wrote:do you compile it or install from repo
FMOD is closed source so you have no choice but to install a binary. You can get the proper version here.
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

This is what I'm getting when I try to compile zdoom or ubuntu 11.10:

make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sound/fmodsound.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/all] Error 2

I've followed the ZDoom installation guide to the letter as well. Any ideas?
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

I assume you figured it out since you seem to be running it in the thread you made?
Dave_B

Post by Dave_B »

Yeah I did I looked about for more instructions on compiling it and it worked successfully. GZDoom, on the other hand is still producing a similar message.

Return to “Tutorials”