The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Super Jamie

Re: The official "ZDoom on Linux" thread.

Post by Super Jamie »

Something about Linux sound and ZDoom sucks. If you have *anything* else open which can grab a sound channel (MP3 player, browser with Flash, etc) then ZDoom will not output sound. I assumed this was either widely known or something to do with FMod so I've never bothered to pursue it.

Also turn on OPL emulation instead of using Timidity. If you do use Timidity, get eawpats off idgames instead of the awful freepats that come with Ubuntu.
Grubber

Post by Grubber »

Super Jamie wrote:If you have *anything* else open which can grab a sound channel (MP3 player, browser with Flash, etc) then ZDoom will not output sound.
Works for me. Do you happend to have snd_output set to anything else than alsa?
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

Is anyone getting problems with a resource not being available from the X Server? I can start playing (normally E1M1 in Doom) but when I go to open a door (I have it mapped to my middle mouse button) it crashes as so:

Code: Select all

*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)

Generating zdoom-crash.log and killing process 8146, please wait... zdoom: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

^CSegmentation fault
The ^C is me having to kill it as the window closes, but then ZDoom just sits. Here's the crash log (i don't have a debugging flag on:)

*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
Address: (nil)

System: Linux emil 2.6.32-23-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 11 07:54:58 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
GCC version: 4.4.3
I am running Ubuntu 10.04 with ZDoom r2402. Need any other specs, let me know.

-M.
Blzut3

Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Blzut3 »

Let me guess, you're using fmodex 4.30
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

I could very well be using it. Although, I would have thought that it wouldn't have thought that the X Server would have spat at me on it. I'll see if I have it and downgrade to stop me from looking like an ass any longer. :)
Dasleah

Post by Dasleah »

Just compiled on Ubuntu 10.10 after following the instructions on the wiki and despite me being clueless as hell, I managed to get it working fine (well... music didn't work until after I'd installed Timidity) I still have no idea how to access the save files or the default .ini though, I'm not seeing them anywhere I can access (although I can make it create / load a new .ini)
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

They go into ~/.zdoom
Dasleah

Post by Dasleah »

randy wrote:They go into ~/.zdoom
I gathered that, but assume for a moment that I'm an average Windows user whose natural reaction to 'it's in here' is to find something to browse to and double-click on and open up. I'm not seeing any directory or folder named that.

GHETTO DEVIL EDIT OF THE NORTH STAR: The wonders of Ctrl-H. Thanks to the dudes on IRC that confirmed my recolection that . denotes a hidden file, so all I had to do was dig up the command to show hidden files and directories in Ubuntu.
ZDG

Post by ZDG »

So, since i started using Xubuntu, i would like if there was a way to install/compile zdoom on it.
Can anyone give me any tips?
Siggi
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Siggi »

ZDG wrote:So, since i started using Xubuntu, i would like if there was a way to install/compile zdoom on it.
Can anyone give me any tips?
[wiki]Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux[/wiki]
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

I'm getting an error while compiling since last night (not too sure what revision I tried to use last night.) I've upgraded to R2685 and tried to compile again with these results:

[ 90%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sound/music_hmi_midiout.o
/home/manny/Documents/zdoom/trunk/src/sound/music_hmi_midiout.cpp: In member function ‘bool HMISong::NoteOffQueue::Pop(HMISong::AutoNoteOff&)’:
/home/manny/Documents/zdoom/trunk/src/sound/music_hmi_midiout.cpp:720: error: ‘template<class T, class TT> class TArray’ used without template parameters
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/sound/music_hmi_midiout.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/zdoom.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Could this be my problem or is it a bug? Looks like this has to do with the new HMI music format support added recently: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26982

-M.
Mannequin

Post by Mannequin »

Whatever was updated today fixed the problem. :)

-M.
Kagemaru

Post by Kagemaru »

I felt so stupid after installing ZDoom on Linux after being unable to figure out why ZDoom wouldn't compile. When I looked through the instructions again, I did everything there and installed the compilers needed and it compiled. Runs good on my Ubuntu system, WADs, mods, and all. A couple problems I thought needed fixing were using a joystick and playing with bots, but I could download Skulltag and use it, though, if I needed any of that, since all that code's dead in ZDoom.

I might take up shell scripting and make a front-end for ZDoom with the ability to quick-load some popular mods, like Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta. I'm already using it to fix some problems where I would desire quick access to certain programs that don't function correctly if they're not running in the same directory as their data - I made working quick-access to my Zelda Classic Launcher using a shell script, then linked to the script on my desktop and my GNOME menu and now I can quickly access the ZCLauncher.
Xranger60

Post by Xranger60 »

Hey guys. I'm having an odd problem. I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.04, and when I use either Zdoom or GZDoom, when turning, there seems to be intermittent frames skipped, or some sort of "stuttering." This happens both when walking forward/backward, and when turning. Curiously, using mouselook when stationary is very smooth. What's vexing is that at times it will start perfectly (usually not)... but as soon as the level switches, it returns to the stuttering. I don't have this problem with the other source ports, OpenGL or otherwise. I've compiled Zdoom from source and tried to compile using older Zdoom versions, but the problem still remains (currently using latest Zdoom). FPS, (whether with Vsync on or off), is in the hundreds.

I've tried disabling compiz, enabling Vsync, etc. I've switched resolutions. I've switched to the software renderer in GZdoom. But to no avail.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Kagemaru wrote:I might take up shell scripting and make a front-end for ZDoom with the ability to quick-load some popular mods, like Hell Revealed or Alien Vendetta.
there's nothing quicker than issuing `(g)zdoom -file av.zip`, certainly not some frontend.

Return to “Tutorials”