Doom 2 Wad

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:23 am

No, you shouldn't!

Sorry, I was being sarcastic :-)
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby JangoFett » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:07 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:Is Doom2 worth $9.99? Two answers:

If you don't own Final Doom: Yes. If only for the ability to play mods.
If you do own Final Doom: No. You can easily use one of FD's Wads to play all the cool stuff. Doom 2's levels aren't worth it.

(Considering that I spent €13 for Heretic , Hexen and Deathkings combined - THAT was a great value!)

I don't own any full doom version.
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby Anonymous » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:17 pm

Then just buy it. Doom 2 is unbelievably high in replayability value - that game will last you for a long, long time. At least until Doom 3 comes out.
Anonymous

Postby JangoFett » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:49 pm

Yeah, I don't think I can use Doom 3. I think it's because of some GeForce 3 card that I don't think we have. :(
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby leakysneaker » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:30 pm

Check ebay.. Just saw some copies that will most likely sell for less than $10.
leakysneaker

Postby Anonymous » Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:35 pm

Heh, I don't think many people could play Doom 3 (least of all my computer). That would require one hell of a machine.

BTW, check either Ebay or Half.com if you decide to get Doom 2.
Anonymous

Postby HotWax » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:08 am

The leaked Doom 3 alpha (I know, shame on me) played at an acceptable FPS (read: 15-30FPS) on my AMD 1.67GHz w/ GeForce 4 TI4600 and 512MB RAM. As it was an alpha made over a year ago, I'd guess that the code has been significantly optimized. Of course, that's not exactly a ghetto system either. I'd estimate that most any computer capable of using a GeForce 3 or better should be able to run the game acceptably. The more RAM the better of course, and the CPU probably takes 3rd in the hardware running. The rest of the components shouldn't affect actual gameplay significantly.

BTW, the GeForce 3 is two years old now...
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Bio Hazard » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:24 pm

the alpha of another game "tHat wilL rock 2 much" ran at 40-60FPS on my system and it pretty much uses the same kid of renderer dosent it?

2.2Ghz Intel
1024MB PC2100 DDR
GeForce4Ti 4200 128MB DDR AGP8x
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Lexus Alyus » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:37 am

What games that? Where can I get these alphas? My spec is:

1.8Ghz AMD aphlon processor,
256ddr somitorother...
GeForce4 somitorother...
Terretec DMX 6fire sound card,
60 gig hard drive.

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby HotWax » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:02 pm

Lexus Alyus wrote:What games that? Where can I get these alphas? My spec is:

1.8Ghz AMD aphlon processor,
256ddr somitorother...
GeForce4 somitorother...
Terretec DMX 6fire sound card,
60 gig hard drive.

:twisted:

It's been a LOOONG time since that alpha was leaked. The code is no doubt quite outdated and you'll probably have trouble finding it. I'd start searching on file-sharing programs if you really want to find it.

The alpha contains a fully-playable but not-designed-to-be-playable romp through three small to medium sized levels. By not-designed-to-be-playable I mean they were scripted very meticulously and things will behave in an odd manner if you don't follow the set path you're supposed to take. Remember, only id employees were going to be playing this, and 99% of the time, they just had pre-recorded demoes running (this was at E3 I believe) to show off the engine. (One of those demoes is actually in the leaked package and can be replayed if ya wanna)

The download size was several hundred megabytes if I recall, so you'll need a broadband connection if you want it this century. :) Digging through the files (there are literally thousands because there are no "WAD" or "PK3"-like files, everything is just out in the open) reveals a fascinating array of goodies. Most textures have three components: The texture itself, the bumpmap, and some rainbow-colored thing I can't begin to guess at. There were also 5.1 Surround MP3's set to play during certain cutscenes in the level demoes. (Probably the most infamous one being the scene with the demon eating a guard's corpse in the bathroom -- and BTW, that scene looks even more incredible when viewed in realtime on your computer)

The physics code was noticibly incomplete. There are cases where you can kill something and have them hanging in midair held up by absolutely nothing. There is also a scene where two imps are poised ready to tumble down a flight of stairs after you kill them. The physics have been intentionally tweaked to make this part look good... if you do it wrong, it will look horribly horribly fake. :P Finally, there are monsters which I assume are hell knights or barons (they look nothing like it) in two places. They don't actually have an attack in either case. :) In the first instance, the enemy is scripted to walk out of a darkened hallway so that it's shadow is the first thing you see. Then it's supposed to walk on past (you're supposed to be hiding from it) and out of the level into another hallway. Since it can't attack, you can just get in its way and blow the crap out of it. It'll just keep trying to get by you. The second instance is at the end of the third level. You're SUPPOSED to leap down on some crates and head towards a door, only to see the large shadow of another hell knight approaching from behind. As you approach the door, it triggers an end-of-level script which starts a cutscene seen from the player's perspective in which the huge beast bites you in two... literally... the last thing you see before the screen darkens is your headless body collapsing to the ground....... Of course, if you DON'T approach the door... well, let's just say he's a lot less threatening in person. ^_^;

[/ramble]
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Bio Hazard » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:18 pm

Lexus Alyus wrote:Where can I get these alphas? :twisted:

BitTorrent

BTW, "tHe reaLly 2" cool game is heavly scripted too and some of the maps just plain dont work... but it comes with all the utilities (even the engine source, too pad i cant program :( )
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby Thrasher » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:14 pm

For $20 you can get Collector's DOOM which has 4 DOOM games and should also allow you to play all those mods and more. Best of all It's only 5.00 per game.
Thrasher
I deliver 30 frags, or the next DM is free.

Previous

Return to General