Doom 2 Wad

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Doom 2 Wad

Postby JangoFett » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:05 pm

Is there anyway I can download the Doom 2 Shareware wad? So that I can see if I should buy it.
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby SirTimberWolf » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:06 pm

There isnt a doom2 shareware version unfortunately =(
SirTimberWolf

Postby SargeBaldy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:20 pm

you can always play the doom1 shareware.. although that wouldn't be a good indicator of how what doom2 was like.
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby Nanami » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:40 pm

If you want a good indicator of what Doom2 was like you can buy a toy shotgun and lay in a pile of mud for an hour... yeah that's about it.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:51 pm

Or you could just get DooM 2 on the basis of hearty recommendations from all of us...
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Hold on! Before I buy anything. . . .

Postby JangoFett » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:19 pm

I would like to find out afew things,

Is Doom2 worth spending $9.99 on it?
How many levels are in it? From what I heard there are 32.
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby Chilvence » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:28 pm

Its worth buying doom 2 just to facilitate using 95% of all custom maps ever made.
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby Biff » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:46 pm

It would be a pity not to spend that small price for doom2. For the reason Chilvence says, also if you want to play csdoom, zdaemon or skulltag online.
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Re: Hold on! Before I buy anything. . . .

Postby Enjay » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:52 am

JangoFett wrote:Is Doom2 worth spending $9.99 on it?

Surely $9.99 is a pretty measly amount of cash. What else can you get for $9.99 that could potentially give you hours, days, weeks, months even years of pleasure? Surely it's worth the risk?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby SargeBaldy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:04 am

doom2 as a game isn't worth $9.99, but for all the mods and such you can get for it is it's a great value. buy eeeeeeet!
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby Lexus Alyus » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:37 am

All the cool mods out there? I don't know, maybe cus i've had it for years I just take dooms power for granted :-D, but your right, all of the mods out there are really worth spending that amount of money, although I have no idea about the value of American curency is to English :-D. I got my most recent copy of doom with id Antholiogy, so I got all the old id games and all the doom games and quake, in one package :-).

Alternatively, with just the sacrifice of the original 32 levels you can buy Final Doom (I'd sugest that actually). You get all the stuff that was in Doom2 (except the original levels) and an additiuonal 64 levels! They are in two differant wads (both with 32 full levels) but they are of really high quality and you wouldn't be missing much from the original doom2 :-D, although the city levels are quite cool :-)... ah, stuff it, get both Doom2 and Final doom, then you get 96 levels of non-stop dooming fun! :-D

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Postby Enjay » Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:08 am

SargeBaldy wrote:doom2 as a game isn't worth $9.99

Really? OK, I think Doom2 could have been better, and Doom1 was a better executed game in many respects IMO, but to say it's not worth $9.99 you must have pretty high standards of what to expect for almost no money. What can $9.99 buy? A couple of burgers and a side order of fries? Most of a cinema ticket? Nearly all the tracks on a CD? A couple of beers? $9.99 is hardly a fortune. Disposable money to most. Like I said, worth the risk.

And yes, the fact it gives you access to so many more 3rd party wads and mods is value enough in itself. So buy it!

Or I suppose you could use the Freedoom IWAD to get acces to Doom2 mods, but although working, it's not complete yet.
Enjay

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:26 am

Is Doom2 worth $9.99? Two answers:

If you don't own Final Doom: Yes. If only for the ability to play mods.
If you do own Final Doom: No. You can easily use one of FD's Wads to play all the cool stuff. Doom 2's levels aren't worth it.

(Considering that I spent €13 for Heretic , Hexen and Deathkings combined - THAT was a great value!)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby JangoFett » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:07 am

So I should buy it?
JangoFett
The Bounty Hunter

Postby Enjay » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:11 pm

JangoFett wrote:So I should buy it?

Ummm....

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:on the basis of hearty recommendations from all of us...

Chilvence wrote:Its worth buying doom 2 just to facilitate using 95% of all custom maps ever made.

Biff wrote:It would be a pity not to spend that small price for doom2. also if you want to play csdoom, zdaemon or skulltag online.

Enjay wrote:Surely it's worth the risk?

SargeBaldy wrote:for all the mods and such you can get for it is it's a great value. buy eeeeeeet!

Lexus Alyus wrote:ah, stuff it, get both Doom2 and Final doom, then you get 96 levels of non-stop dooming fun! :-D

Sounds like it to me. :)
Enjay

Next

Return to General