Your favorite mod combos

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Airos
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Your favorite mod combos

Post by Airos »

So, I've had this idea for a thread for a few days, and I've been lurking around getting a little familiar with the forums both to get a feel for where this topic belongs, and to make sure that I'm not duplicating anything that's been recently active. Hopefully I've chosen correctly on both counts.

What are your favorite combinations of mods?

This isn't really intended to be along the same vein as the Cool mods people might have missed thread, but more like "yeah, Guncaster is great, but it gets even better when you stack [x][y][z] on top of it". Maybe some of the "extras" are things we've never heard of, maybe they're things we just never considered putting together.

So, I've got a few to throw out. I don't believe I've really done anything revolutionary, most things I'm doing have pre-existing compatibility patches, which tells me it's not unusual to run these particular combos. Still, I think there's a good amount of discussion that can be generated from this topic, and I'd love to hear feedback about other mods that may fit the "theme" of these different packs.
Spoiler: The List
I'm still testing out other combos, and have a huge backlog of mods still to test out, (and then I can move on from Doom to Heretic and Hexen), so I'll no doubt have more combos to tinker with in the near future.
Spoiler: Edit History
Last edited by Airos on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Your favorite mod combos

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

In terms of maps to play with mods, there's a few I could make note of that I like to play with a lot.

For lower-powered mods (IE your Doom Roguelike RPG combo), Scythe and Scythe 2 tend to be quite fun, as well as Back to Saturn X (Episodes 1 and 2). If you're feeling masochistic, Hell Revealed 2 is probably an option too.

For higher-powered mods (IE your Guncaster+ or Russian Overkill+ combos), Hell Revealed 2 and Dark Tartarus are great options, since they'll still offer a decent challenge even with the more overpowered weaponry.

In a pinch, Oblige is a pretty good option for generating mapsets to screw around in, too, especially since you can have it make you slaughtermaps.

(I'd provide links, but BBCode is presently disabled for me due to inactivity- but all the megawads I just mentioned can easily be found on /idgames (search by title, of course, not filename), and Oblige only needs a quick Google search.)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

RL Arsenal with Colorful Hell sadly crashes after a few minutes, no matter what maps are being played. It would be such a nice combo for megawads.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Play on "Spooky" difficulty. Doom instantly becomes a hardcore tactical roguelike survival-horror game. I'm too much of a pansy to play this regularly but damn if it's not compelling.

8-)
HyperLuke

Post by HyperLuke »

Any wads that go well with Doom4forDoom and Metadoom?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I played through No End In Sight with D4D and came to the conclusion that the level pack is great on it's own but not with D4D. Far too many places where you have to fight multiple Barons at close range in a cramped environment, which wouldn't be a problem in vanilla Doom but became a save & load orgy with D4D's increase in difficulty even on Hurt Me Plenty.
sarge_945

Post by sarge_945 »

I'm currently trying to get Skulldash to play nicely with Brutal Doom. It mostly works, but there are some issues. I had to make my own patch (there are general issues with BD and the Skulltag actors, not necessarily Skulldash ones)

I would love to try out DarkDoom which someone mentioned, but the dropbox link has gone down.

I think a good combo is:

Brutal Doom (or even better Project Brutality)
Maps of Chaos Hardcore Edition
Doom Metal
Play on hardest difficulty. You are in for a major challenge, but a satisfying one
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I like to play Combined Arms (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=51066) and Colourful Hell (viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47980#p818030) together. The weapons and monsters balance each other out really nicely.
Voros

Post by Voros »

D64WEAPS.WAD
That's pretty much it. I like the sounds of Doom 64's weapons, especially the chaingun. They all sound like they pack a massive punch, and using them is just as satisfying. Because the weapons are basically iterations of Classic Doom (The Unmaker is a bonus here) the balance in basically any megawad remains the same IMO.

I'm a pretty simple guy.

BTW, what's this chaoscol.wad you say has no history on the Internet? Mind uploading it somewhere safe so it can easily be downloaded?
Airos

Post by Airos »

Voros wrote:BTW, what's this chaoscol.wad you say has no history on the Internet? Mind uploading it somewhere safe so it can easily be downloaded?
Finally found it. I cross-referenced the file date with my browser history to figure out where I got it, which turns out to have been here.

Chaos Colosseum
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

Currently running:

Trailblazer v 1.4
Crosshairs (extra crosshairs I don't know where got them from :( )
Droplets v 1.5
DukeShadows v 1.3
Own Monster Randomizer WIP
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Is here any way to play DoomRPG reliably? It seems no matter hat GZDoom version I'm using, sonner or later is causes script errors and various parts of the game cease to dunction (shop can't be accessed, medkits can't be picked up, parts of the HUD disappear, and so on).
Airos

Post by Airos »

Cherno wrote:Is here any way to play DoomRPG reliably? It seems no matter hat GZDoom version I'm using, sonner or later is causes script errors and various parts of the game cease to dunction (shop can't be accessed, medkits can't be picked up, parts of the HUD disappear, and so on).
I haven't run into that, but I've only spent small amounts of time playing the early area. Have you tried using a different version of the mod (either making sure you have the older one for DoomRL compatibility, or the newest version without RL compatibility)?

Return to “General”