[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Nmn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:19 am

bimshwel wrote:I have been using aseprite for this sort of thing since 2017 and it has made a tremendous difference for me

I've seen some screenshots of it, looks very leet. Maybe I'll give it a try once in the nearby future.

Prior to then I did all raster pixel drawing in paint shop pro 6

Tell me about it, I've used PSP 7 for about 10 years, from 2003 to 2013 o_O
I am still using Animation Shop 7 (bundle with PSP) for checking out animations of sprites up to this very day. I'm intrigued by aseprite, I'll definitely have to check it out.

Looking forward to see more of your stuff :)
Nmn
Stay creative, my friends.

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby doomjedi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:25 am

Bratish wrote:My native language is Russian. But I remember my stay on iddqd.ru. There I was pretty bad, and I remember those times with hatred. This is because when you speak Russian, it is difficult not to do without a mat, and in the end I asked to be removed from there.

I've got different impression on that community, very nice community, supportive, big Doom fans, never had issues there.

Even fewer people who point out flaws in my style.

Well, I am ready to give you feedback if you want some.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Discord: DoomJedi

Postby Bratish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:31 am

Well, if it doesn’t bother you ... Just as you can see, I have not yet formed my own style, and sometimes bad things will come across, and if my work was sorted out in parts, I would understand what my problems are, and corrected them. What is my animation of plasticine worth - in my opinion, a man has some frames too thin to resemble a living person. Well, my terrible guns - it’s good that they gave me advice on how to draw them correctly. Thank you all!
Bratish
I'll be back someday...

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby Bratish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 am

By the way, I decided to show everyone what I sent bimshwel yesterday. These are character blanks that can actually be used right away for any kind of picture (like my TITLEPIC).

In this archive there are only 18 artworks - 8 HUD Face, 7 close-ups of the character, and 3 actual sprites of the player, as it is seen during the gameplay.

This hero is so much like James Sunderland that I could be convicted of piracy, if not for one fact - this is actually the actor who played in the film, according to which I am making my project. Moreover, what lies in the archive is different from the person himself, because he has black hair and a black jacket, and only after my operations did he become a blonde in a green jacket. Something like this.

I sincerely wish that someone would use this modest contribution for their own purposes, since there is almost no sense in him from me - unless I put 7 art on the intermission collages.
Attachments
Bratish`s Hero Sources.zip
(229.69 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Bratish
I'll be back someday...

Postby DeXiaZ » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Kinda offtopic question, I'm looking for the zombieman sprite which uses shotgun instead of his rifle/pistol. I do remember I saw it in some mod, but I can't find it. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance
DeXiaZ

Postby Nmn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:54 pm

@DeXiaZ - There's a shotgun wielding zombieman in wildweasel's stranger: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/combos/ww-strng
Except he has a different uniform and death anim, don't know if that's the one you're looking for.
Nmn
Stay creative, my friends.

Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby DeXiaZ » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:22 pm

Thank you for the fast response and help, but that's not a zombieman I'm looking for. I need the Vanilla styled. The only change is weapon, the suit must be the same.
DeXiaZ

Postby Robot J » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Made a doom 64 like weapon :D. I thought of it as like a plasma rifle that fires faster and more powerful shots but takes 2x the ammo. I nicked it the plasma Charger :)
Doom64Thing.png
Robot J

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan Support

Postby Dr_Cosmobyte » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm

Nice touch on using the Plasma Rifle front end! Pretty much the same thing the ID guys did on the Vanilla BFG.

EDIT: It's been a long time since i don't post here.

Here you have a M202 FLASH/M66 Rocket Launcher.

Image Image

Credits to Post and Gabbuz85.
Dr_Cosmobyte
Demons are a disease. Meet the cure.

Postby Captain J » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:40 pm

Oh, finally i'm seeing this rocket launcher widescreen-friendly and green! Would be nice if there's some kind of scope or laser pointer, but i'm just asking too much here. :P
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Bratish » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 pm

So... From this day I will not be here for at least two weeks, and even then it is unlikely that I will return at all... If everything is fine, I will come back to you with fresh strength and ideas, and continue to work on the project if But no... Then just do not forget me, please... :cry:
Bratish
I'll be back someday...

Postby Ac!d » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 am

Powder combinations of Resident Evil
Resident Evil gun powders (2).png
Credits : Loss for Words, Ac!d
Resident Evil gun powders (2).png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 203 times

Doom Eternal Health (based on Clownman's work, don't know if it's count for an edit)
DE Health Pickups.png
Credits : Id Software, Clownman (Inspiration)
DE Health Pickups.png (893 Bytes) Viewed 203 times

I've used the medikit pickup sprites of Aracnocide by Dr_Cosmobyte. I don't know who's the original author of the sprite.
Ac!d
Perfection is a way, not an end. - Korean Proverb

Discord: Acid_Citric#2732

Postby osjclatchford » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 am

been playing around with this last night.
rotated deeed.png
rotated deeed.png (28.74 KiB) Viewed 170 times

they are intended as slumped against a wall deaths like the corpses in kdizd and also featuring in brutal doom...
I feel its much better than the originals (I always felt the legs were odd, looked like a doll or lego character) but i'm still not 100% on it.
there's no 4/6 frames as there aren't in the brutal originals. I simply figure that these are designed to be viewed from the front (against a wall) so that rear rotation is not really as vital. but you have to have 5 because ,well, it just wouldn't work without it...
if anyone can tweak these to look better I'd eternally appreciate it... ;)
osjclatchford

Postby doomjedi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am

osjclatchford wrote:been playing around with this last night.
rotated deeed.png

I did such work for Project Brutality already (in May) - for Sergeant, Trooper and Imp:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/syf1hgqrd9rqkx4/sitting_frames1.rar?dl=0
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

Postby doomjedi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:42 am

Bratish wrote:I have not yet formed my own style

It seems, at least to me - like you do.

if my work was sorted out in parts,

It would be interesting to hear your method of work (for deeper feedback). Is it pixel art from zero, some tool-assisted thing, model-based, photo-based?

What is my animation of plasticine worth

Well, sometimes it's just from using too many frames, instead of key movement frames.
Also - not all frames need to have same delay. Human starts to fall slowly on first frames, and the fall itself is much faster due to gravity.
The dying pose doesn't look natural, and (his) right hand is bent in some weird way.
Animation itself looks tool-assisted...There is overuse of blur that makes it to lose focus, maybe too much color depth that causes additional blur.
Also body - the hand, the blood - doesn't interact with the ground.
There is one fast frame where hand seems to get much closer to body and then back away - in a very short timescale. What is going with legs there is not clear (and yes, in some frames they get too thin), right leg especially (note the boots should move away/disappear if body falls forward). You can make open shirt to get more loose when he falls forward.

This is one of the best pixel art tutorials I know, you can learn alot there (including realistic blood animations BTW):
https://blog.studiominiboss.com/pixelart

Other possible thing is physics - ignoring the fact body has bones (and inertia), not all can be...bent.
doomjedi
"Blade of Agony" spriter

PreviousNext

Return to General