[solved] Anyone remember this old Half-Life-style WAD?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Nash

[solved] Anyone remember this old Half-Life-style WAD?

Post by Nash »

It's a very old project. Like, REALLY old. It's a finished project though; from the early, eaaaarrrrllllyyy days of ZDoom. The WAD was basically Half-Life-like in gameplay and design - there was a story, you started out with no weapons and you could roam in a friendly area... and then as you progress through the maps, things get crazy.

It was a good showcase of fancy ZDoom features, hub levels that you could inter-travel through, and especially ACS scripting to turn Doom into a story-driven experience.

Does anyone remember this project?

Answer: It's tqtrust.wad
Last edited by Nash on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Anyone remember this old Half-Life-style WAD?

Post by Chris »

It's not Paranoid, is it? Was going to say it's not that old, but was surprised to realize it was released 8 years ago. Damn. Wouldn't necessarily say it was the early days of ZDoom, though.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

If it didn't explicitly use Half-Life resources, it might have been tqtrust.wad.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sounds like it, it even comes with a [censored word] HL-style ending... :mrgreen:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It does sound like tqtrust. It was (is?) a great WAD but the ending was indeed a let down IMO. (YMMV)

It's probably not Paranoid, but an outside contender could be Paranoia ( https://zdoom.org/wiki/Paranoia ) which is sort of a precurser to Paranoid. It probably uses ZDoom features a bit less than tqtrust but it was still a fairly early example of a ZDoom project with quite a bit of scripting and so on. I *think* most of the actor/enemy/AI changes were done by either dehacked or just re-skinning Doom stuff though.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Tei Tenga springs to mind - again that's not using HL resources though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

wildweasel wrote:If it didn't explicitly use Half-Life resources, it might have been tqtrust.wad.
This is the one! Thank you. It was killing me that I can't remember the name, considering I played it a LOT back in the day (it was the project that got me hooked to ZDoom modding, among many others...)

@ Graf Zahl - well, they say the journey is more meaningful than the destination... :mrgreen:

Return to “General”