Moving .zds save game files from PC to Mac

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
kwicktech

Moving .zds save game files from PC to Mac

Post by kwicktech »

Hey all, newcomer here to GZDoom. I have been using GZDoom on my Windows 10 PC for a while now. Now I am playing with a Macbook Pro, so I got GZDoom Mac up and running with the same WAD files. I copied my .zds Save Files into the Documents>GZDoom>Savegames folder; however, the game itself does not see those previous saves.

Any thoughts on how to get GZDoom mac to recognize my previous save game files?

Thanks!
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Moving .zds save game files from PC to Mac

Post by Rachael »

1) Are they the same version? (i.e. 3.2.5 on both?)
2) Are you sure they're the same source port? (QZDoom saves normally will not work on GZDoom, nor vice versa)
kwicktech

Post by kwicktech »

Rachael wrote:1) Are they the same version? (i.e. 3.2.5 on both?)
2) Are you sure they're the same source port? (QZDoom saves normally will not work on GZDoom, nor vice versa)
Thanks Rachael! Thanks to you, I noticed that the mac version was older, so I updated. They are now both 3.2.5. They are both GZDoom.

Now I have a different, worse problem. When I launch GZDoom on the mac, I get the list of WADs to play. No matter which one I choose I get a totally black screen. If I bring up the Force Quit menu (Cmd+Opt+Esc), I see that GZDoom is "not responding", and I need to Force Quit it to get back to my desktop.

Thoughts on that one? I will reread to see if I am missing any pre-requisites....but the older version did work ok, just did not see my save files.

Thanks!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Saved games are compatible between any 3.2.x versions. Most likely the problem is in their location.
I tried to use saved games from Windows on macOS and everything works just fine.

Also, you can save game and path to newly created file will be printed on top of the screen.
(Detailed save messages setting should be enabled in Message Options menu but it is so by default.)
Did you put *.zds files to the same location?

If the full path is the exactly same then please attach one of .zds files along with output of the following command from Terminal

Code: Select all

ls -lR ~/Documents/GZDoom
kwicktech

Post by kwicktech »

Thanks for replying! Now I am troubleshooting the black screen issue with 3.2.5a. Once I get that fixed, I will see if my save game issue still persists.
kwicktech

Post by kwicktech »

Now that I fixed my black screen issue (thanks _mental_), and upgraded to 3.2.5a, I can see my save files. All good here.

Thanks!

Return to “General”