The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Post by R4L »

Hey all.

I wrote on the Discord server that I was going to make a tutorial dealing with 3D models, and I've finished the first part. Part one covers importing/exporting models correctly out of Blender and into SLADE, and using the SurfaceSkin property. I might make a video detailing this as well. I understand that this could be quite a bit to read and therefore some what difficult to follow, but I feel I have explained everything well enough. If you feel that I haven't, I would appreciate any kind of feedback!

Part I
Part II
AFADoomer

Re: The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Post by AFADoomer »

Nicely done! I can't speak to the Blender portion, but this captures the rest of the process well.

The one thing that may be outdated - From what I have seen, the TEXTURES lump entry for the sprite is not necessary any more... I'm pretty sure that's a relatively recent change, though.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Oh? I had no idea about the TEXTURES lump being outdated... if you don't mind me asking, what should I be using now?
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

TEXTURES itself isn't outdated... Just the part about adding an entry for the sprites that are used to assign model frames to an actor - So in your tutorial, you can just skip the part about adding IBMEA0 to TEXTURES, because everything will work fine without adding it.
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Awesome, good to know! I'll update the tutorial.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Do you have something with 3D Studio Max, or it should be the same? I have never touched blender before... as i am afraid a little because i learned myself how to use 3DSMax and it took me about a year to model properly.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

X-DOOM wrote:Do you have something with 3D Studio Max, ......
At the Blender logon screen one can set so that Blender behaves just like 3DSMax.
Spoiler:
But, since I never really used Blender myself, I'm not sure if creating a model is like 3DSMax.
X-DOOM

Post by X-DOOM »

Kappes Buur wrote:
X-DOOM wrote:Do you have something with 3D Studio Max, ......
At the Blender logon screen one can set so that Blender behaves just like 3DSMax.
Spoiler:
But, since I never really used Blender myself, I'm not sure if creating a model is like 3DSMax.
Oh man that sound great. I hope it behave like 3dsmax.
Marcello

Post by Marcello »

That I was looking for: thank you! Now I will fall in to the "guide part 1".

Just a quick question: is it possible to modify a 3D model that already exists?
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Marcello wrote:That I was looking for: thank you! Now I will fall in to the "guide part 1".

Just a quick question: is it possible to modify a 3D model that already exists?
What do you mean? Like a model that someone else made? If so, then yeah, you can do whatever you want to it. If you mean editing models in-game, I think you can do some stuff with ZScript.
Josko

Post by Josko »

Will this guide work for Milkshape 3d? That's the one I use, dont have blender and have never used it, maybe blender is better?

Anyway what will part 2 cover and when will it be done?
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Josko wrote:Will this guide work for Milkshape 3d? That's the one I use, dont have blender and have never used it, maybe blender is better?

I cannot speak for Milkshape 3D, but I assume the process is the same. IMO, Blender is vastly superior. It just has a slight learning curve.

As for part 2, I'm not sure exactly.
Josko

Post by Josko »

R4L wrote:
Josko wrote:Will this guide work for Milkshape 3d? That's the one I use, dont have blender and have never used it, maybe blender is better?

I cannot speak for Milkshape 3D, but I assume the process is the same. IMO, Blender is vastly superior. It just has a slight learning curve.

Alright. I'll easily get Blender and use that instead when you have part 2 done. How far done is it? :P

I read your Part 1 and it was very good! Unfortunately I really need help with what Part 2 will be covering, that is, weapons and it's animation and such.

Tell you what, if you do decide to complete part 2 of the Tutorial I really want to gift you a steam game of your choosing as a token of my gratitude :)
R4L
Global Moderator

Post by R4L »

Josko wrote:
R4L wrote:

Alright. I'll easily get Blender and use that instead when you have part 2 done. How far done is it? :P

I read your Part 1 and it was very good! Unfortunately I really need help with what Part 2 will be covering, that is, weapons and it's animation and such.

Tell you what, if you do decide to complete part 2 of the Tutorial I really want to gift you a steam game of your choosing as a token of my gratitude :)
I appreciate the gesture, but no need to do that my friend. :)

If I do finish part 2, please note that it will only cover animation in GZDoom, not how to animate in Blender (although I will make a simple animation in the tutorial).
Josko

Post by Josko »

Yeah it's only animation in GZDoom that Im interested in, the part in MODELDEF where you state all the animation frames, that bit really gets me confused!

I suppose you will cover decompiling models? Crowbar is a great Decompiling tool for half life models.

I'm really looking forward to part 2, Can't wait to properly convert ANY model I want into MD3 and successfully implement it into the game.

I tried it with Milkshape 3d and the weapon model just became Invisible, when loading with Noesis Model Viewer it wouldn't load the MD3 lmao. Epic fail :D

Havn't been able to find any tutorial about this so until it's finished I will just have to wait I guess :P

Return to “Tutorials”