The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
HAL9000

Re: The How-To Guide To 3D Models In Doom

Post by HAL9000 »

You can convert ("decompile") MD3 to FBX with bones in noesis with -vertbones parameter while converting the model.
Bones will be weird because they will be autogenerated from vertex animation but the animation and mesh will still work without any problems in any 3d software.
You can use it as a reference for creating a new/similar/remixed model/animations in minutes.

I use this technique to import vertex animated models for my project(s) to create vanilla-like high res versions of them from scratch or to fix them if they had any issues, while keeping the same animations & position of the old models. If you know what you are doing Noesis conversion works perfectly like a charm 110% every time. Never had any issues.

I wont describe the workflow for editing MD3 and other vertex animated models because I use Cinema4D for creating/editing my models. (Most of you here are Blender users)
I also use Noesis to convert my FBX animated model back to MD3 or MD2 animated models for GZD or Q1/2/3 projects

I highly recommend Noesis for the conversion process tho.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josko

Post by Josko »

HAL9000 wrote:You can convert ("decompile") MD3 to FBX with bones in noesis with -vertbones parameter while converting the model.
Bones will be weird because they will be autogenerated from vertex animation but the animation and mesh will still work without any problems in any 3d software.
You can use it as a reference for creating a new/similar/remixed model/animations in minutes.

I use this technique to import vertex animated models for my project(s) to create vanilla-like high res versions of them from scratch or to fix them if they had any issues, while keeping the same animations & position of the old models. If you know what you are doing Noesis conversion works perfectly like a charm 110% every time. Never had any issues.

I wont describe the workflow for editing MD3 and other vertex animated models because I use Cinema4D for creating/editing my models. (Most of you here are Blender users)
I also use Noesis to convert my FBX animated model back to MD3 or MD2 animated models for GZD or Q1/2/3 projects
Thanks for the info, but I'm very new to all this so I don't even understand half of it :D

I suppose later on I might do :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

HAL9000 wrote:I use Cinema4D for creating/editing my models.
Pretty sure that's what Willem Sitters uses too. I understand it's a pretty decent piece of software, but expensive. Worth it?

I didn't even realise that exporting bones from a vertex animated model was even possible. Interesting.
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

I use it for years, It's worth it. I mostly use it on my work but not often. Our Graphics department use it on a daily basis for product vizualization.

Yes blender is free, but compared to C4D it is junk. I would rather pay for C4D license than use blender 4free. Once you taste C4D there is no comming back to other sw. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Bones? Yes you can but they will be autogenerated.nde

Return to “Tutorials”