Demo Map: Stair Builders

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Gez

Demo Map: Stair Builders

Post by Gez »

This is the first in a little project about creating tech showcase maps. The idea is simply to provide examples of how to build cool and advanced stuff (anything more complex than a door or lift), and in this case it's stair builders. (Planned next are slopes and portals.) People can look at the map in an editor to see how these things are built, and play them to test how the various things work.

If you want to help, you can! I'm hoping for:
- Some more ideas of complex setups one could do, since I believe the simple ones are already taken care of. I've got some empty rooms to fill!
- Perhaps some prettification, but without detracting from the main goal of making the effect easy to analyze, observe, and understand.
- Speaking of prettification, a small, universal textureset so that the maps could be tried in any supported game, perhaps.

The end goal is to upload the map and link it from the wiki, in this case it'd be in the [wiki]building stairs[/wiki] guide.
Attachments
stairbuilders.zip
(30.89 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
leodoom85

Re: Demo Map: Stair Builders

Post by leodoom85 »

This is your first map? like for testing purposes?. I'll try it :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Interesting way to showcase all the stair-builder actions. Of course, the empty rooms can be used for some stair showcasing too :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, so why have I never seen those synchronised stairs before? They look really cool.

I got this when I started the map:

Code: Select all

Line 319 (type 31:Stairs_BuildDownSync), arg 5 is 1050 (should be 0)
Line 390 (type 31:Stairs_BuildDownSync), arg 5 is 1050 (should be 0)
BTW, for those having difficulty finding the map, it's called "STAIRS" not MAP01 so type

map stairs

at the console.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:OK, so why have I never seen those synchronised stairs before? They look really cool.
The Hexen ones have been around for as long as ZDoom has supported the Hexen format; the Doom ones are new (and can only be used in UDMF because their special number is beyond 255).

The rogue args have been taken care off.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Very good idea to start something like this. Fun fact: I don't even know currently how to make the stairbuilders work so this might be of use :)
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Moved to Tutorials. Thread won't get lost in 2 days that way.

Return to “Tutorials”