Point Blank Gibs

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
WhateverMena

Point Blank Gibs

Post by WhateverMena »

I'm in the progress of creating my own little custom gameplay mod, which is just a little archive of a few of my favorite mods put together in one convenient package and some other changes. Most of the changes are monster animations and behavior from XASER's Argent mod and whatever sources he used. Not that it's absolutely necessary, but I enjoyed the extreme death animations so much I wanted to switch it up a bit by making it easier to perform those glorious and bloody kills. One way I wanted to do so was by making the shotgun and super shotguns gib enemies when shot at point blank range (first noticed this in Brutal Doom). I was curious to see if anyone help point me in the right direction by referencing a specific piece of code that would help me make this possible.

Again, this isn't intended for public release. This is merely a gameplay mod I'm fixing together because I'm too lazy to scroll through my ever-expanding wad list to drag and drop multiple files onto an executable.
Thanks in advance.

- Mena
Lt.blam

Re: Point Blank Gibs

Post by Lt.blam »

Maybe you could have the weapon fire an extremely powerful projectile with an extremely short life span (2-6 tics i'm thinking) that would die after leaving "point blank" range. This projectile would use invisible frames (TNT1) and be fired in conjunction with the normal "bullets".

BTW sorry I'm not referencing a specific piece of code, but this is how I would make a weapon a guaranteed instagibber. The way its done in brutal doom is that the shotgun pellets do enough damage to instagib small enemies when fired at pointblank range (the pellets pretty much form a single very damaging bullet).

Return to “Tutorials”