How to apply custom SF2 soundfonts to ZDoom (AND OTHER PORTS

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
enderkevin13

How to apply custom SF2 soundfonts to ZDoom (AND OTHER PORTS

Post by enderkevin13 »

EDIT

Just use CoolSoft, it's easier to use and doesn't have a delay. You'll have to turn up your music though.

Okay, so a while back I made a tutorial on basic MAPINFO lumps for those starting out. Now I'm here with, you guessed it- Applying custom soundfonts to ZDoom!
Now this works for most source ports that support custom MIDI devices.

Anyways, here we go with the tutorial.

1. Make sure you downloaded Timidity++.
Timidity++ is a program that is used to change soundfonts in certain games that use MIDI music.
You can download the software here.

2. Grab yourself a SF2 file.
The SF2 file is another important component to the process of enhancing the MIDI quality ingame.
Now what I would recommend is getting the Arachno Soundfont to use, mainly because it has great quality.
Here's the link to download it by the way :P
Keep in mind that the filename can't have spaces, so replace them with dash lines

3. Extracting the files
Okay, you have the files, and your SF2 ready, now you need to extract the files from the ZIP to your ZDoom (or some other port you use) directory.
Put the SF2 file in the same place where you extracted Timidity++.

4. Configuration
Now I'm not referring to ingame configuration, but rather configuring the Timidity++ CFG file.
This may seem hard for those who are new, but it's fairly easy in fact.
Anyways, there should be a line with "dir (directory)" in which you should remove, as it is unnecessary.
Replace the line with "soundfont (name of soundfont, no spaces though)".

5. Ingame configuration
Now that you've gotten the other stuff done, it's time to finish this.
Go into the source port you chose to do this to, and go to options.
Go to sound options and change the MIDI device to "Timidity++", and select "restart sound".

Now that you've done all of the steps in order, you should be done with the tutorial!

Anyways, have fun with high quality sound, and I'll see you soon!

-enderkevin13
enderkevin13

Re: How to apply custom SF2 soundfonts to ZDoom (AND OTHER P

Post by enderkevin13 »

Sorry for wasting any space on the thread, this was before I discovered CoolSoft. Feel free to delete this thread if you want.

Return to “Tutorials”