GZDoom - Looking like ZDoom!

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

GZDoom - Looking like ZDoom!

Post by Hellser »

Welcome to my GZDoom Guide! Granted, this is a ZDoom forum, but with so many people using both – why not post this guide here? Now, what does this guide do? It helps setup your GZDoom to look crisp as if you've taken a screenshot from ZDoom it self!

GZDoom, under no circumstances, will look exactly like the software renderer – but it will try. First, lets talk about one of the main “features” (which is actually a handicap) of the software renderer. Banding. Banding is the software renderer half-assed, but quick attempt at shifting from a brighter scene (near the player) to a darker scene (further away from the player). Since the software renderer doesn't have any sort of dithering that many games after Doom and Duke Nukem 3D uses (namely Unreal), it resorts to banding. This image here shows the difference between OpenGL and Software – and the banding effect. I would also like to note that image isn't a true representation of the truecolor capability of GZDoom, as GIFs – like Doom – only uses 256 colors, 255 if using transparency.

Now that I've explained a little about the software renderer. Look at your ZDoom, then to GZDoom, then to mine. I'm on a horse and I'm here to guide you! To simplify some things; I will use the acronym 'UD' (User Discretion) for certain options. The options I'm about to give you is what I personally use. I do not use any sort of 'High Quality Resizing', there is a GIF that floats around describing how terrible it is. To round it off, you're scaling a sprite up using advanced algorithms, only to either botch the quality of the sprite, or to make it look like a spotchy painting. It doesn't work well in Doom, I'm sorry. Another thing too that is odd that I've seen other people use. Additive Lighting. Again, using a GIF – and as said above, it isn't a true representation, but you can see the difference. Having Additive Lighting on makes the lighting seem muddy. While this effect might work amazing in Photoshop, GZDoom however seems to be rather terrible at it. Until we get better lightning options for GZDoom, stick with having that option off. Atleast then it won't look like you're wading through a field of red, green or blue than that awesome flat texture.

Display Options
Most of these options are considered user discretion. The only thing I would recommend changing is “Use Fake Contrast” to either On or Smooth.

OpenGL Options;

Dynamic Light Options
  • Dynamic Lights Enabled: Yes
    Enable Light Definitions: Yes
    Clip lights: Yes
    Lights Affect Sprites: Yes
    Lights Affect Particles: Yes
    Force Additive Lighting: No
    Light Intensity: 1.0
    Light Size: 1.0
Texture Options
  • Textures Enabled: Yes
    Texture Filter Mode: None (Nearest Mipmap) / None
    Anisotropic Filter: 16x
    Texture Format: RGBA8
    Enable Hires Textures: On
    High Quality Resize Mode: Off
    Resize Textures: Off
    Resize Sprites: Off
    Resize Fonts: Off
    Precache GL Textures: On
    Camera Textures Offscreen: On
    Trim Sprite Edges: On
    Sort Draw Lists By Texture: No
Preferences
  • Sector Light Mode: Software
    Fog Mode: UD
    Fog Forces Fullbright: UD
    Weapon Light Strength: 8.0
    Environment Map On Mirrors: On
    Enhanced Night Vision mode: Off
    Env Shows Stealth Monsters Any Fixed Colormap
    Force Brightness In Fog: Off
    Adjust Sprite Clipping: UD (Recommend: Smarter)
    Smooth Sprite Edges: Off
    Fuzz Style: Noise
    Sprite Billboard: Y Axis
    Particle Style: Particle Style: Square
    Ambient Light Level: 20.0
    Rendering Quality: Quality
Now, like I said, this is make GZDoom look as close as possible to the Software Renderer. If you're using high resolution textures with 3D Models, switch the Texture Filtering Mode over to Bilinear or Trilinear. Everything else should fall into place.

Comments? Suggestions? Or maybe general kind discussion about GZDoom vs ZDoom and which one is superior? The only winning move is not to play.
Last edited by Hellser on Sat May 16, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disc Primitive

Re: GZDoom - Looking like ZDoom!

Post by Disc Primitive »

I also prefer soft rend over OGL. It's a shame most mods won't work or look as good with it.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Will this shader stuff that was added to GZDoom that broke compat with older PCs allow posterization effects and maybe even paletting when it's fully implemented? I believe Graf said he hasn't finished adding it all in. I want GZDoom to look exactly like ZDoom, just with real 3D.
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Possibly, what I gave is a guide using the built in GZDoom settings. I do not think Graf is looking to add screen shaders (which will include paletting and posterization). Only time will tell. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

torridGristle wrote:Will this shader stuff that was added to GZDoom that broke compat with older PCs allow posterization effects and maybe even paletting when it's fully implemented? I believe Graf said he hasn't finished adding it all in. I want GZDoom to look exactly like ZDoom, just with real 3D.

Why should I add image degradation effects? If these are so important for you there's a simple solution: Use ZDoom!
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Graf Zahl wrote:
torridGristle wrote:Will this shader stuff that was added to GZDoom that broke compat with older PCs allow posterization effects and maybe even paletting when it's fully implemented? I believe Graf said he hasn't finished adding it all in. I want GZDoom to look exactly like ZDoom, just with real 3D.

Why should I add image degradation effects? If these are so important for you there's a simple solution: Use ZDoom!
You've added filters. :wink: Also, ZDoom's up/down look is terrible and ZDoom doesn't support models; GZDoom is the superior port outside of gritty aesthetic. Anyway, the way that I understood it, or at the very least thought that I understood it, you wouldn't be adding degradation effects specifically. It'd just be like GLSL which can do posterization among other things.
doony

Post by doony »

add the configuration file download link, this is very useful for zdoom lovers like myself :D
a suggestion
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

I gave a detailed explanation on how to achieve the "ZDoom" look in GZDoom through the first post. Just take your time, run the game in a window and copy the settings or change one or two to your liking.
GooberMan

Post by GooberMan »

Anisotropic values are meaningless if you're using the no mipmapping option by the way ;-)
Hellser
Global Moderator

Post by Hellser »

Yep! I personally use None (Nearest Mipmap). Which uses Anisotropic filtering. If you're using None, then don't bother with Anisotropic. :P
doony

Post by doony »

it works, thanks
I never liked very much this blur thing in gzdoom
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

I didn't know where to post this question and didn't feel like starting a thread for it. How do you change how far up/down you can scroll the camera? I'd prefer there be a limit so I don't have to see the billboard effect on the sprites.
maseter

Post by maseter »

To quote wildweasel: "Make sure your settings are all in order, then quit the game and rename the resulting zdoom-USERNAMEHERE.ini to zdoom.ini. Any time G/ZDoom would create a new ini file for a new user, it will use the zdoom.ini as a base and load all settings from that."

You should create such gzdoom.ini, but with just the graphics cvars from your guide, for example:

Code: Select all

[GlobalSettings]
vid_vsync=true
vid_defwidth=1920
vid_defheight=1080
gl_lights=true
gl_attachedlights=true
gl_lights_checkside=true
gl_light_sprites=true
gl_light_particles=true
gl_lights_additive=true
gl_texture_filter=5
gl_texture_filter_anisotropic=16
gl_texture_usehires=false
gl_texture_format=0
gl_texture_hqresize=0
gl_precache=true
gl_lightmode=8
This are some, but not all settings you listed, just to get the stone rolling...

Edit: gzdoom.ini does not override the existing gzdoom-USERNAME.ini
it's just a base for the new user ini which is always created on first run.

Return to “Tutorials”