A PSA on Filesizes.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: A PSA on Filesizes.

Post by wildweasel »

I almost expected your story to end with the Holy Shit being marooned in a store room somewhere in the British Museum.

[edit] Incidentally, in an effort to keep this on topic, Jaxxoon, did you want me to move this to our Tutorials subforum under Editing?
Blox

Post by Blox »

here's a cheat sheet

oh and there's this thing for PNGs too

now if only we had opus support - that would be really nice (that's opus winning on "how imperceptible are the sound artifacts at 96 kbps" against shit like AAC, Ogg at the same bitrate and MP3 at whopping 128 kbps)
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

@wildweasel Do so, if that is what you wish.

Also I dunno... Snoic is pretty unholy at least.

Edit: BTW I had no idea that forum even existed.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

on the Opus thing, a similar analog can be applied with new efficiently lossy image formats. BPG would work really well on 'enchanched hi defaniton !!! texture's" and is something the Duke3D HRP would really need imo (to combat the loading times and huge space overhead of crushed PNGs that are zip compressed).

dumb for little sprites though
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Jaxxoon R wrote:Now, say we've just got this sweet texture we want to use for whatever reason. In this case, it's two planet-sized robots ready to duke it out to the death in the clouds:
Hey, I recognise that image: it's from the final battle between Mata-Nui and Teridax at the end of Bionicle's original run! I'll have to admit, I was not expecting to run into anything like that here.

Anyway... I confess that I hadn't readily thought about compression, but that's mainly because I work with small sprites as opposed to large images. That said, would you suggest a target filesize for a range of image sizes? Or can a minimum size be suggested before the quality of an image starts to degrade?

Return to “Tutorials”