Voxels with MagicaVoxel

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Nash

Re: Voxels with MagicaVoxel

Post by Nash »

GraveUypo wrote:
Nash wrote:
Phoebe Mengerman wrote:Hey, i'm back!
I found this whole process of converting a file a bunch of times a bit cumbersome, so i asked the guys at drububu.com if they would implement conversion directly from .obj to .kvx, and my request was actually fulfilled! like in the same week, which is amazing.
Here it is:
http://drububu.com/miscellaneous/voxelizer/?out=kvx
Converting directly to kvx is a new feature so it hasn't been tested properly, but it should help in skipping at least one step in this tutorial and make things a little easier. The tool itself is pretty intuitive to use so that helps. anyway, i'm off to do some testing.
That's neat, but it doesn't seem to transfer the texture/UV map? So you end up with a colour-less/texture-less voxel object... unless I'm doing something wrong... ?
I think we've just finished tuning the tool. I mean, i bothered Arjan for way too long with my selfish requests. It should now work straight out of the box in slade, no need to go through any conversion. All you'll need to do is to adjust the pivot in slab6 to prevent the model from sinking into the ground, but that's done in literally seconds.

As for texture, you need a model with a baked texture (a single texture and a single object). It should work automatically with some models, and with others it will ask for a texture file.
Here's a couple of tests i made using this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-LdLYvvWo
Colors can be a bit off at times, but if you're careful when texturing to keep within the doom palette (i asked him to implement the doom palette into the software too) it shouldn't be a problem.

[edit] welp i gave him some wrong info, so now the default pivot is now on the top row of voxels instead of the middle, and the model sinks entirely underground by default. I guess i'll bother him one last time to fix this so you don't even need to go through the trouble of fixing the pivot in slab6

Alright, thanks for the info. Forcing the Doom palette on to the voxel isn't a good idea I think. Should make it optional.
GraveUypo

Post by GraveUypo »

I'm not sure it is forcing the doom palette. Been having a hard time getting 100% accurate results. I've been getting plenty of "good enough" though.
I'm going to try to make a voxel monster anyway. Just need to pose it and convert each frame to a different voxel file
https://i.ibb.co/T4L9Xyh/Screenshot-Doo ... 193827.png
Angel Soul
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Angel Soul »

I have some troubles with this. I am importing a .PNG icon that I made, as said in this tutorial, and this is the result:
Attachments
bild_2020-10-21_150657.png

Return to “Tutorials”