New Spriting Tutorial - Angled Weapons Up! (P. 1)

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.

Re: New Spriting Tutorial

Postby Siggi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am

FuzzballFox wrote:I still feel somehow this...iiissnnntt really spriting in the way that most would think of sprites.
Using the smudge tools and brushes with A&A isn't true to the term really...but that's not really important...XD

I would say that smudge tools and stuff don't fall under pixel art, but I'd understand spriting as making sprites so how you do it doesn't really matter.
Of course, that's just how I see it.
Siggi

Postby FuzzballFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Well considering the tutorial is to make sprites, as in- separate frames of animation conbined to create animated graphics in a game- (plus we call them sprites anyway...:P) I'm not fussy...eh I dunno what I'm on about...XD

About the Pixel art...if you went somewhere like Pixelation and showed them they would throw their arms up and whail at you that they are not sprites or Pixel art...thats what I mean...XD
FuzzballFox
アシレーヌ!! (´▽`)ノ♪

Postby Ceeb » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Phobus wrote:Just to jump on the spriting is boring bandwagon - I get bored even doing Virus monsters, but that's probably because most of them don't require much work at all... proper attempts at more Doom-y looking monsters bore the hell out of me after a few sprites, even with music, lapdancers and- oh wait...

My "pencil" always ends up flipping the desk over when I have lapdancers. :?
Ceeb
Official Idoit Of ZDoom
Banned User

Postby skadoomer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:20 pm

FuzzballFox wrote:About the Pixel art...if you went somewhere like Pixelation and showed them they would throw their arms up and whail at you that they are not sprites or Pixel art...thats what I mean...XD

Again, its about the feel of what you are going for. Pixel art junkies often time can be as bad as the hardcore voxel scene, where if you don't see it from their perspective and honnor their tecniques, they your art, no matter much you argue it will not be in the same category as their art. I guess some people just like solid edgy blocks of color more than the rest of us.

this...iiissnnntt really spriting in the way that most would think of sprites.

How so? Sprites by definitions are just 2d graphics and its a rendering technique that's still used in high end productions today on modern engines. I think its restrictive to think of spriting as a purely old school technique.
skadoomer

Postby Nomekop » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:32 am

I will love this tutorial
Nomekop

Postby DoomRater » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:10 pm

Cutmanmike wrote:I mean for things like with weapons. Making them animate in a way that doesn't look odd must be a huge pain in the ass, especially animations like the super shotgun. I haven't seen anyone animate a rocket launcher reloading sequence yet, and I have no idea how you would even begin. :?

The Greaser has a Rocket Launcher where it disappears offscreen and a rocket is shoved into the tube, but that's about it. That's the direction I'd go too, turn the RL to the side pointing down, open a door, stick a rocket in (and feel free to move the sprite around as this happens, a lot of people seem to keep the movement of the gun extremely stiff during the hand animation reloads for some reason!) and point it at the enemy again!
DoomRater
Hi, I'm bob.

Discord: DoomRater#6308

Re: New Spriting Tutorial - Weapon Basics Up! (P. 1)

Postby Amuscaria » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:27 pm

The first basics section has been finished. I will continue to post the other sections as I finish up the images and typing up the crap that goes along with it. If It's not too much trouble, would a mod mind sticky-ing this? :)
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby esselfortium » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:41 pm

Nice! I might have to play around with an attempt at following this sometime. Thanks Eriance :)
esselfortium

Postby Remmirath » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Awesome. I've finally managed to draw a sprite with my mouse with a perfect perspective. :D

Now i just have to learn how to make some shading. >_>
Remmirath
Slowest mapper on Earth

Discord: Remmirath#0424
Twitch ID: TheRemmirath
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vader » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Nice work on the article :)
Vader
Mandroid ginger Ninja

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:57 am

Ghastly_dragon wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:Not necessarily. When you're spriting for awhile you just want to do something else. It's not an easy task.

Usually, when doing something tedious like that, I listen to some music. Currently learning Josh Groban - Caruso. :P

A great singer ;) I listen to him as well from time to time when working on Doom.. funny somehow :) Btw, great tut Eriance!
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Jimmy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:50 am

Someone sticky this thread. It is amazing. :mrgreen:
Jimmy

Discord: Jimmy#4100
Twitch ID: JimmySquared
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Cutmanmike » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:26 am

Personally I think this sort of thing should be uploaded onto a site rather than stuck on a forum. Eriance haven't you got a website to slap your tutorials on? I know it's easier to edit them this way but it would probably get seen by more people if it was on it's own independent page.

If you like, when you're done I'd be happy to host them on Cutstuff.net. They wouldn't even need to be in the Cutstuff layout (dark and goffic).
Cutmanmike
Is it hot in here or is it just ZScript

Discord: https://discord.gg/Whts7Bj
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Ghastly » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 am

Cutmanmike wrote:Personally I think this sort of thing should be uploaded onto a site rather than stuck on a forum. Eriance haven't you got a website to slap your tutorials on? I know it's easier to edit them this way but it would probably get seen by more people if it was on it's own independent page.

If you like, when you're done I'd be happy to host them on Cutstuff.net. They wouldn't even need to be in the Cutstuff layout (dark and goffic).

I agree, actually, since sticking it onto a single post would somewhat ruin the layout of the tutorial. However, this should be stickied, in the meantime. :P
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby CaptainToenail » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:00 am

Heh, well, it was worth a try, plus I have no idea how to do shading besides with a set of grey pencils

:laff:

CaptainToenail

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials