New Spriting Tutorial - Angled Weapons Up! (P. 1)

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.

Re: New Spriting Tutorial

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:22 pm

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Usually, when doing something tedious like that, I listen to some music. Currently learning Josh Groban - Caruso. :P

I listen to Orcheestra music lol. Like "Preliator" by Globus (look it up on youtube). :D
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Project Dark Fox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:36 pm

You people are weird. I listen to the heaviest shit I have when I'm doing artsy stuff.

Maybe that's bad.
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Captain Ventris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Project Dark Fox wrote:You people are weird. I listen to the heaviest shit I have when I'm doing artsy stuff.

Maybe that's bad.

Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon!

Postby Project Dark Fox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Captain Ventris wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:You people are weird. I listen to the heaviest shit I have when I'm doing artsy stuff.

Maybe that's bad.

wtf :laff:
Project Dark Fox
Married Furry Anxiety Bucket

Twitch ID: ProjectDarkFox
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:34 pm

God, I remember when I was like that. Drawing space ships and making all shorts of stupid sounds to accompany them. "Pew pew pew!!". XD
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Captain Ventris » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Eriance wrote:God, I remember when I was like that. Drawing space ships and making all shorts of stupid sounds to accompany them. "Pew pew pew!!". XD

Eriance's Childhood sketches:
Spoiler:
Captain Ventris
Buy my novel, “The Shadow Among The Stars” on Amazon!

Postby skadoomer » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 pm

I noticed in one of your screen shots that you used another program to do your coloring outside of Photoshop (Corel paint maybe?). While Photoshop is great at many things, it lacks a bit when coloring objects using just swatches as it dosn't display information to let you know if you've selected one or not. So I guess where this question is going is to what program the tutorial is for and what one you recommend for doom spriting in general?
skadoomer

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 pm

I tried Painter X once, it wasnt all the different from Photoshop. It WAS better than my tablet because unlike PS, it supported my tablet's pressure settings much better. For CGing my pix, it's much more useful. However, as for monster and weapons sprites that are so small, there is really not that much difference. PS with the smudge tool is all I needed (that and the layers and the magic wand). MSPaint is very reliable for touching up Sprites that are colored in PS, and is pretty good at doing most smaller edits. The reason being, photoshop doesn't let you place down a single pixel. Where in MS Paint where you click is where a pixel is placed, Photoshop only puts down a mark when you hold and move the mouse or tablet. Which is pretty annoying.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Medricel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Eriance wrote:The reason being, photoshop doesn't let you place down a single pixel.

Pencil tool, size 1 brush.

EDIT: What do you mean by this?
Eriance wrote:Photoshop only puts down a mark when you hold and move the mouse or tablet. Which is pretty annoying.
Medricel
26 is the new 18 is the new 11!

Postby FuzzballFox » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 pm

He means that you cant just click to add a single pixel~ you have to click, hold and move the cursor..
FuzzballFox
アシレーヌ!! (´▽`)ノ♪

Postby Medricel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:37 pm

Clicking for placing a single pixel works fine in Photoshop for me.
Medricel
26 is the new 18 is the new 11!

Postby skadoomer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:16 am

Eriance wrote:My Tablet

That's probably got a lot to do with your opinion of photoshop. Your experience is what works best for you and your equipment, and if photoshop isn't/wasn't that choice I can see the reasoning in it. However, I urge you to try Photoshop again with your new tablet. I have a 4 x 6" Intuos 3 Tablet which doesn't have any of the conditions you describe and works pretty well for most editing. I can set my brush to 17 and still paint with it like it was a size 6 because of the pressure sensitivity, and that works in great with my work flow.
skadoomer

Postby esselfortium » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:57 am

FuzzballFox wrote:He means that you cant just click to add a single pixel~ you have to click, hold and move the cursor..

It works if you're using the pencil instead of the brush :)
esselfortium

Postby Phobus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:18 am

Just to jump on the spriting is boring bandwagon - I get bored even doing Virus monsters, but that's probably because most of them don't require much work at all... proper attempts at more Doom-y looking monsters bore the hell out of me after a few sprites, even with music, lapdancers and- oh wait...
Phobus
Registered Occasional Lurker

Postby FuzzballFox » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 am

esselfortium wrote:
FuzzballFox wrote:He means that you cant just click to add a single pixel~ you have to click, hold and move the cursor..

It works if you're using the pencil instead of the brush :)

Indeed, unless it's not the pencil tool you are using...

I still feel somehow this...iiissnnntt really spriting in the way that most would think of sprites.
Using the smudge tools and brushes with A&A isn't true to the term really...but that's not really important...XD
FuzzballFox
アシレーヌ!! (´▽`)ノ♪

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials