New Spriting Tutorial - Angled Weapons Up! (P. 1)

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: New Spriting Tutorial

Post by Cutmanmike »

Any animation tips would be handy btw, for all 3 types.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Wow. You rock, Eric! :D :D
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Cutmanmike wrote:Any animation tips would be handy btw, for all 3 types.
That will be included yes. Of course, i'm not gonna go into the whole anatomy thing, since it would require that the person already know something about human and animal anatomy. Which is far to complex to get into for simple doom sprites.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I mean for things like with weapons. Making them animate in a way that doesn't look odd must be a huge pain in the ass, especially animations like the super shotgun. I haven't seen anyone animate a rocket launcher reloading sequence yet, and I have no idea how you would even begin. :?
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Cutmanmike wrote:I mean for things like with weapons. Making them animate in a way that doesn't look odd must be a huge pain in the ass, especially animations like the super shotgun. I haven't seen anyone animate a rocket launcher reloading sequence yet, and I have no idea how you would even begin. :?
Hm, reloads. That can be doable. Although i'll need to make a new weapon to show it. I havent animated many reloads, so I can't say for sure It's within my ability right now. Best way I can think of is to take screenshots of 3D FPS games like Doom3, Counter-Strike, and just look at how they reload their guns. o_o The whole reloading thing is highly variable. it totally depends on how you designed your weapon and where the "reloadable" part actually is.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

Lowering the weapon and putting in a rocket in the end could be one way, or Halo style being raising the weapon and putting a pack into the side- like you said depends on the design of the weapon...

Offtopic (kinda): What kind of tablet do you have atm Eriance? (And the one you ordered)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

FuzzballFox wrote:Lowering the weapon and putting in a rocket in the end could be one way, or Halo style being raising the weapon and putting a pack into the side- like you said depends on the design of the weapon...

Offtopic (kinda): What kind of tablet do you have atm Eriance? (And the one you ordered)
The current one is pretty crappy It's a 12"x9" AIPTEK HyperPen 12000u. It's pretty basic and can now be bought for a low price of 79.99. For general applications, it's pretty sufficient, but it lacks the pressure settings of higher-end tablets as well as the precision. The new one I ordered is a 12"x9" Wacom Intuos 3. :D
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Eriance wrote:@Cutman: I've worked on Hellion and met the goals for this week early on. So I have more free time. :D Besides, it's not like I'm working on anything new for DE. All i need for this tutorial has already been made; references sheets from the monsters I started, the PSD file for that monster, and just some other general crap. While I'm always motivated to START a monster for DE, i lose all of it by the time I get to the death frames, lol (happens everytime).

@Fuzzballfox: Yes spriting would be generally easier if you had a tablet. You can get a pretty decent on for 80 bucks *(the one I have now - Although i just ordered a 400-dollar one). But I think I'll show several styles of spriting in this totoruial, not just the gradient doom-style. Hellion's style with the Cell-shading like colors wont need a tablet.
If you get that new one I'll buy that old one off of you.
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

Eriance wrote:The new one I ordered is a 12"x9" Wacom Intuos 3. :D
12x9... Tasty. I've got the 6x5 Intuos3, and it's lovely.
FuzzballFox

Post by FuzzballFox »

A4 Wacom Intuos 3 eh? Very nice indeed...:P
I'm quite happy with my Bamboo One, wasn't too expensive costing about £36 brand new...now a DTF-720...
A guy can dream...XD
http://www.wacom.com/pendisplays/DTF720.php
Medricel

Post by Medricel »

FuzzballFox wrote:DTF-720
Cintiq 21UX is superior. It used to be $1,000 more when it first came about, but now it's the same price as the DTF-720, but is larger and has more sensitivity.
Unknown_Assassin

Post by Unknown_Assassin »

Eriance wrote:i lose all of it by the time I get to the death frames, lol (happens everytime).
Maybe you should do all of one monster's sprites, but the death frames; you can then continue on making other monster sprites excluding the death frames as well. :P That way, DE gets closer to being completed, and members such as myself would get to enjoy seeing your monsters. It's a win-win situation. :D
Project Shadowcat

Post by Project Shadowcat »

Unknown_Assassin wrote:
Eriance wrote:i lose all of it by the time I get to the death frames, lol (happens everytime).
Maybe you should do all of one monster's sprites, but the death frames; you can then continue on making other monster sprites excluding the death frames as well. :P That way, DE gets closer to being completed, and members such as myself would get to enjoy seeing your monsters. It's a win-win situation. :D
Not necessarily. When you're spriting for awhile you just want to do something else. It's not an easy task.
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

What he said, it's boring as hell.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Project Dark Fox wrote:Not necessarily. When you're spriting for awhile you just want to do something else. It's not an easy task.
Usually, when doing something tedious like that, I listen to some music. Currently learning Josh Groban - Caruso. :P

Return to “Tutorials”