Strife's Dialog System - UDMF Flavor

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.

Re: Strife's Dialog System - UDMF Flavor

Postby Enjay » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am

Worth pointing out that the Wiki states that sounds intended for use with the Voice parameter should be in the "voices" namespace in a PK3 (or between V_* markers in a WAD).

I haven't actually actually checked that though with an actual example.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Beatrice Fanstone » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:54 am

Thank you very much Zergeant, such a cool feeling hearing a doom character say "TEST TEST TEST" with my own voice.

As Enjay pointed out though, you need to get the sound file into the /voices/ namespace, which in a WAD can easily be achieved by creating a SNDINFO file that contains the following line (for your audio file TEST.wav):

svox/TEST TEST
Beatrice Fanstone

Postby Zergeant » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:24 am

Updated the OP with more goodies. The Voice property and the alternative way of defining your DIALOG file:
-Voices
-DIALOGUE in Map Lump
Zergeant

Postby Molly Fundershaw » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:34 pm

Is there a way to have dialog options effect things outside the "DIALOGUE" file?
For example picking a option increases a integer in "SCRIPTS"
Molly Fundershaw

Postby Molly Fundershaw » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Can i restrict a dialog choice to be only selectable once?
Lets say i have a Imp give me a keycard via giveitem how would i make it to give the player only one?

Also what does putting "log" in a choice (referenced below choices here: http://maniacsvault.net/usdf/usdf22-draft.txt) do?
Molly Fundershaw

Postby Zergeant » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:13 am

Molly Fundershaw wrote:Is there a way to have dialog options effect things outside the "DIALOGUE" file?
For example picking a option increases a integer in "SCRIPTS"

Not sure what you mean by this, but you can add the special property to a choice in the conversation of your actor and set it to execute an ACS script to increase an integer somewhere. See the FAQ for an example and check the Zdoom Wiki for what number id the ACS_Execute action has.
Molly Fundershaw wrote:Can i restrict a dialog choice to be only selectable once?
Lets say i have a Imp give me a keycard via giveitem how would i make it to give the player only one?

Also what does putting "log" in a choice (referenced below choices here: http://maniacsvault.net/usdf/usdf22-draft.txt) do?

Yes. Check the section for Include/Exclude Choices on the first page, and give the player a dummy item after the choice has been selected.

The Log property is most likely used by Strife to update a panel you can bring up to see what quest you're currently doing. Probably does nothing in Doom but I haven't done any experiments with it yet.
Zergeant

Previous

Return to Tutorials