Strife's Dialog System - UDMF Flavor

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.
Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.

Re: Strife's Dialog System - UDMF Flavor

Postby ImpieTwo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:37 am

I might've glossed over it, but is there a way to make it so the dialogue changes based on other level effects? For example, caged person asks you for help while their cage door is closed, then says something else once the door has been opened. Seems like it happened all the time in Strife, but I'm a little unsure how to go about it. Maybe that can be your next tutorial? (again, assuming I didn't miss it in the thread somehow)
ImpieTwo

Postby Zergeant » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 am

Everything you need for that is already in the tutorial. You should consider using a script via ACS for that problem and either change conversation ID of the prisoner or give the player an item when the door is open.
Zergeant

Postby ImpieTwo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Zergeant wrote:Everything you need for that is already in the tutorial. You should consider using a script via ACS for that problem and either change conversation ID of the prisoner or give the player an item when the door is open.

Problem is the mod is Heretic in Hexen Format, not UDMF, so there's no "conversation id" option. At the time I was using doom builder 2 and there wasn't a heretic udmf option.
ImpieTwo

Postby Zergeant » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:11 am

Hexen format still has ACS scripts though, which I'm pretty sure you can use to give an inventory item with.
Zergeant

Postby ImpieTwo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:58 am

Zergeant wrote:Hexen format still has ACS scripts though, which I'm pretty sure you can use to give an inventory item with.

Yeah, I got your item-giving examples to work in it just fine. I just don't think I can use the conversation id trick cos it's not an option in that format, as far as the gui is concerned, so I dunno if it would still work or not.
ImpieTwo

Postby Gez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am

ImpieTwo wrote:
Zergeant wrote:Everything you need for that is already in the tutorial. You should consider using a script via ACS for that problem and either change conversation ID of the prisoner or give the player an item when the door is open.

Problem is the mod is Heretic in Hexen Format, not UDMF, so there's no "conversation id" option. At the time I was using doom builder 2 and there wasn't a heretic udmf option.

GZDB-BF can flawlessly convert a Hexen format map to UDMF format.
Gez

Previous

Return to Tutorials