Equippable Torch + Dynamic Light Artifact Torch

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

Equippable Torch + Dynamic Light Artifact Torch

Postby Colerx » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:17 am

Almost entirely got the equippable TorchWeapon from BrutalHexenRPG and the Artifact torch from Carnage Galore 3 mod by Ichor, so I made them standalone with some tweaks, many thanks to Ichor and BH creator!

Useful for lighting up the darkest dungeons, obviously.
The default Artifact Torch in Hexen and Heretic just makes the whole map bright so, nowadays, with all these cool graphic enhancements of Gzdoom I felt the need to change it to dynamic light mode.

You can set the key in controls menu to select the torch, I wanted to make it toggable with last weapon used but I may research for it later.

Screenshots:

Torch OFF
Torch ON

Nice showcase video by Nimlouth:

Spoiler:

Download: TorchV1.pk3

Notes:

The TorchWeapon is meant to be used when exploring the dark, it has a bit weak fire mode with unlimited ammo just in case but for fighting, as in vanilla, the ideal way is to use the Artifact and keep slashing using weapons!

Nice to use with DarkdoomZ mod

it should be universal, working on Hexen, Heretic and in case Doom.
About Wrath of Cronos mod, with which I planned to use it, the artifact torch effect seems not working , it still makes the whole map bright even if replacing its "NewArtiTorch" actor of WOC, there should be some ACS script operating I dunno, anyway

hope this will be appreciated!
Last edited by Colerx on Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colerx

Re: Equippable Torch + Dynamic Light Artifact Torch

Postby Nimlouth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:25 pm

Hey thanks a whole bunch for fixing the link! It works wonders! The artifact is a perfect modern replacement for the "classic" torch. although I mostly loved the weapon. Playtested it a bit with HexArcana and it worked wonders! I liked that Doom 3 Feeling of "I need to choose between seeing and shooting" using the weapon torch. I started wondering if maybe it could be integrated into the weapon pack so you can carry the torch with your 1h weapons i.e. kinda like Ashes 2063's handheld solar lamp. Are you ok with me or someone modifying the file if I ever get to try and do that?

Anyways this is a great addon, specially while using DarkDoomZ since, while the provided flashlight is cool, it doesn't integrates well with Hexen's/Heretic's medieval fantasy setting. Tysm <3
Nimlouth

Discord: Nimlouth#9203
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Lagi » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:48 pm

could you add a movie?

its a static light?
Lagi

Postby Colerx » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 pm

Nimlouth

Thank you very much for your kind words I'm happy you appreciated it. I would have attached the file to the OP but unfortunately it's too big in size.

I state that I'm still completely noob here and this was my first unfinished mod attempt, about equipping it with the first weapon I completely agree that would feel much better but I think it's gonna loose the "universal addon" kind of usage is meant with, for the little I learned I presume it will require to directly edit the original weapon, like adding an alt-fire state or something, so with so many mods, classes and different weapons out there will require tons of compatibility patches.
Probably there could be other valid methods to implement it but I guess nothing that automatically detects if a weapon is one or dual handed... even if would be fun with a 3handed cleric equipping mace, shield and torch at once :lol:

The first thing who came in my mind was to use the same key to quickly toggle the torch to the last weapon used in order to fight easier. I'll have another look if I can do that!

Lagi

Hey, ok I'll do a little movie as soon as I go back to my home pc. If I remember you do have a torch as well in your very nice Bitter Heretic mod?
Colerx

Postby Nimlouth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:34 pm

Yeah, I was more thinking about a "fork" of sorts, the addon you made on its current iteration is completely fine by itself!

Here, I made a YT video showcase of sorts: https://youtu.be/M5xjK3ILbIY

Cheers and thx again I'm super lovin' this! <3
Nimlouth

Discord: Nimlouth#9203
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Colerx » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:43 am

Thanks for the showcase it looks very nice!

Oh now that you mentioned a fork I think I may add a one handed weapon on the other hand, as medieval meaning the fork could be very nice
I'll try to add it or at least make it as an option.

Thanks once again for your appreciation
Last edited by Colerx on Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colerx

Postby Lagi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:49 am

Nimlouth
thanks for video
the torch look very nice, and has nice attack!
(i also respect your choice of gameplay mod - hex arcana is more technical than walpurgis (which looks better), however i cant look at hp bars - they steal my attention from the game)

Colorex
yes, there is one. I struggle to make the light from torch right.

im not sure if Bitter is very nice.
Spoiler:
Lagi

Return to Resources