Standalone Game Template

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

Standalone Game Template

Postby Nash » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am

This is a standalone IWAD (.ipk3) that contains the absolute bare minimum assets needed to cleanly start the engine with no errors or warnings.

Contains a custom palette made by me from scratch - this palette is libre and you therefore won't run into any legal issues.

Contains basic lumps, a basic player sprite, some basic ZScript classes and a simple map.

Should be easy to modify - just do a search-and-replace for everything 'MyStandaloneGame' and 'My Standalone Game' and you're good to go.

The game starts with modern-style controls (WASD + mouselook) and SSAO enabled. You are of course free to edit your game defaults as you please - just edit defbinds.lmp and defcvars.lmp.

TIP: Use Rachael's config converter utility to generate your game's defaults based off your personal config files!

Use this to quickly prototype a custom standalone game project for GZDoom.

Start the game using the following command:

Code: Select allExpand view

gzdoom
.exe -iwad MyStandaloneGame.ipk3

All assets created by me (Nash Muhandes) and are released under Public Domain.

Compatible with both LZDoom and GZDoom! (Edit: LZDoom currently doesn't work because it doesn't have fallback fonts - I am working to provide libre fonts which will be included in the next update)

Happy game making!

[UPDATE: it is known that the IPK3 will only start up with devbuilds. I'll be pushing an update that alleviates this later. In the mean time, just delete the DEFCVARS and DEFBINDS lumps, and remove the 'Size Clean' lines from the MENUDEF]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nash on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Re: Standalone Game Template

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:19 am

Ooo, bookmarking this. Thanks Nash!

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Enjay » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:39 am

Potentially very useful. A lot of people ask "what's needed for a stand alone game" and the answer is now a link to this thread. :thumb:
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Rachael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 am

This is great! A basic "get-up-and-go" starter package with all the assets you need to get going immediately.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nash » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

I have been told that this does not start up on non-devbuilds. My mistake - looks like I was using some devbuild features.

For now, all you have to do is delete the included defbinds and defcvars lumps. You'll have to regenerate them using Rachael's config converter. I most like won't update the download in the OP because it'd be pointless to remove it now, then re-add it back when the next version of GZDoom comes out...
Nash

Postby Rachael » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:05 pm

It should always start on dev builds. If it doesn't that means it's a cvar we missed, please report it, that's rather urgent especially with an upcoming release.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Enjay » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 am

It's OK, it does start with the latest dev builds. It's the older builds and the last official GZDoom that it won't start with.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:22 am

Ah - yes, defcvars will not even start if you use a version more recent than its config version.

@ Nash: To fix this problem, you will have to start GZDoom on 4.4.2 first, using your current config, *then* run the config converter utility on the file that 4.4.2 produces.

Defcvars is designed to be backwards compatible, not forwards compatible.

The other thing you can do is bump the version number down by 1, and then remove the new CVARs from Defcvars one by one until it stops erroring out on startup.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby Nash » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 am

Yes, the defcvars issue is already fixed on my end. However now I run into another problem (as you've seen me ask on Discord) - it seems LZDoom has no fallback fonts and will fail to start if no fonts are bundled into the IWAD. Looks like I'll have to be creating my own libre fonts (both smallfont and bigfont). This turned out to be more effort than I initially thought it'd take... >_<
Nash

Return to Resources