New monster - Stability Officer

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

New monster - Stability Officer

Postby Nmn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:14 am

Heeeey everybody!

I've updated my spriting utilities, which made them crash far less often now. So in order to test the - stability - of the software I've decided to finish an old sprite from a year ago. Because I was tesing the stability of the software - I thought this may be a good name! So here's the "Stability Forces" officer.

The idea behind this was that a very long time ago my buddy comissioned me to make a sci-fi police officer of sorts, but explicitly stated that I would NOT give them a cap, but a helmet instead. Ofcourse that project never went anywhere. :roll: So years from that, last year, I remembered the idea beind the enemy and being the kind of a person I am, I decided to do exactly what I was told not to do :lol: And here's a security guard/police guy of sorts, with armor and stuff, and a cap.
You know, I always wanted to see a blue monster in Doom...

EDIT: Added the preview and the file as an attachment, so it looks more interesting now. I had no idea how to do this with all the new fancy imgur and whatnot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nmn

Re: New monster - Stability Officer

Postby Cabo_Fiambre » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:41 am

Looks fantastic!!! Did you used a 3D model or it's entirely hand-drawn?
Cabo_Fiambre

Postby Nmn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:51 am

@Cabo_Fiambre - thanks man :) kind words made my day.
I used a custom 3d model as a base and then done some pixel editing by hand (pixel-pushing).
Nmn

Postby Enjay » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:58 am

Indeed, it looks great - really good proportions for a Doom engine game.

The blue is a bit in-your-face IMO, but limited palette colours are what they are. Personally, these days I quite like doing sprites in Doomguy green and then using translations in DECORATE to colour them to whatever I want.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Nmn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you Enjay :)
I always had difficulty with proportions in Doom so I kept a close eye on references.

TBH, I enjoy working with Doom palette. Years ago I would make many different palettes, but nowadays I find Doom's palette a challenge and it's still pleasing artistically after all the years, the ultramarines, the pinks, oranges :)
Nmn

Postby Toberone » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 am

Hey it looks pretty good! Nice work! btw this definitely gets bonus points for being a doom-style pistol wielding human without holding an invisible rifle barrel.
Toberone

Postby Nmn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:54 am

@Toberone - hey thanks :) Yeah I'm keen on making sprites that are universal, without making them generic, so people can edit them mayhaps to other things.
I had a generic NPC in works, but it went sour. I'll make the attempt again the nearby future.
Nmn

Postby Cabo_Fiambre » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Just because i'm curious, what modelling software do you use?
Cabo_Fiambre

Postby AlphaSoraKun » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm

This looks pretty damn good! I shall give my rating now. It is difficult but let's give it a 9 out of 10!
AlphaSoraKun
An amateur modder

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Nmn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:40 am

@Cabo_Fiambre - I use Gmax, which is a very old version of 3ds max without rendering, shaders, plugins. It was originally developped for making game content, low poly models, however I use it in a traditional sense to make hi-poly base which are then spritised with some pixel editing.
I could not get 3ds max since it's expensive while old versions have difficulty running on 64 bit hardware.
And sadly, I never learned Blender :(

@NeonLights95 - such kind words, thank you :D
Nmn

Postby Vegeta(dw) » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Great as always
Vegeta(dw)

Postby Nmn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:30 am

@Vegeta - nice to see you as always old buddy ;)
Nmn

Postby undeadmonk354 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Hmm... the Stability Officer could fit quite well within Doom and Strife.
undeadmonk354

Discord: Crazyboy88#3491

Postby Nmn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:35 pm

@undeadmonk354 - feel free to use in your mods ;)
Nmn

Return to Resources