[SKYBOXES] "Dredd vs. Death" & "Rogue Trooper"

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Well, that was tedious and took way longer than it should have, but, having lost the last ones of these that I did in a HD crash, I've re-done the skyboxes from "Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death". :)

https://www.gog.com/game/judge_dredd_dredd_vs_death

I don't remember having so many problems last time I extracted these - so either I didn't do all the boxes, or I uploaded them flawed.

Most boxes had something that needed to be addressed: mismatched panels, panels in the wrong order, visual glitches and there was also the issue that some of the graphics have translucent areas that needed to be resolved. Lighting levels across the different panels could vary quite a bit too. I tried to minimise how obvious this is. There were 2 skies (2 variations of the same one) where the bottom section didn't really match the sides very well colour-wise. I've improved it but it's not perfect.

So there was quite a bit of manual editing involved in getting these ready (which can be quite tricky on a flattened net of a cube).

They're not perfect but they are better than they were on first extraction and I think I've got them to an acceptable state. So, they could now be used "as is" or they could be tweaked further if someone wanted to.

Some of the boxes are really pretty cool, others less so. The first one ("Base") had lots of glitches on it (strange grey squares all over the place that weren't meant to be there) and the sky behind the buildings is not very well matched to the foreground (I couldn't get it any better). Frustratingly, it took the longest to do (waaaay too long) and yet it's possibly my least favourite of them. I don't particularly recall that one in the game and its style isn't really consistent with the other maps so maybe it wasn't used - or was used in a map where the sky wasn't really seen much. It was in a folder called "Basement" if that means anything to anyone. In contrast, the Dead World sky looked great straight out of the box.

Anyway, the file is one my own web space at the moment. If someone has a file sharing account at Mega or somewhere, I'd appreciate a mirror.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... dSkies.pk3

~64MB. Map included with a switch that cycles through the skies to make things easy to check out.

And some screenies to give folks an idea:
Spoiler:
Update:
Just for the hell of it, I've also extracted, fixed up and prepared the skies from the other 2000 AD game by Rebellion on the Asura Engine - Rogue Trooper.

https://www.gog.com/game/rogue_trooper_redux

Unfortunately, the skyboxes in this game were obviously rendered from a "just what we need for the map" basis. i.e. most do not have a proper floor and many are just from "the waist up". i.e. from about the mid-point downwards there is either no detail or there might be detail on some panels, but not others. So, they could be used in Doom maps, but it would have to be in maps where you never see the lower part of the sky. I suppose that could be addressed by anyone who wanted to flip the upper half and mirror it on the bottom. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would allow a complete sky.

The file is a lot smaller than the Dredd one. It still has 10 skies in it but because so many are 1 colour from the mid point down, the file size is much smaller. The maps are named as per the folders the graphics were found in (Level01, Level02 etc). However, there are gaps in the sequence (Level05 is missing for example) because these folders had incomplete skies (e.g. only 2 sides and a top).

Anyway, file is here:
http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... eSkies.pk3

~11 MB as before, a map is included to help view the skies.

Screenies
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Updated the first post with skies from Rogue Trooper.

Also, when poking around in the Rogue Trooper files I also found a bunch of explosion (and other particle effects) sprites. I have extracted these and they are on 2048x2048 transparent PNGs now. If anyone wants them, let me know. They'll need cropped out and made into individual sprites (and offset etc) but, I dunno about you, I'm fed up of always seeing the same Unreal Tournament explosion over and over in mods so perhaps these might provided a bit of variety.

The following is just an example - downsized and converted to JPG because Imgur seemed to be struggling with the original. As I said, the originals are 2028x2048 and have transparent backgrounds:
Spoiler:
In total there are something like 12-13 explosion and/or smoke sheets plus blood spats, glass shards and a few other bits and pieces.
luigiman0640
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [SKYBOXES] "Dredd vs. Death" & "Rogue Trooper"

Post by luigiman0640 »

I think you put the wrong link for the Rouge Trooper skyboxes. It links to the DreddSkies file.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

I took a guess at the file name and found it.

http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/ ... eSkies.pk3
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Ooops, :oops: Yup, sorry about that. Thanks for finding the file wolfman. First post updated with corrected link.

Return to “Resources”