Original MIDI files for you to play with *UPDATED AGAIN*

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
LewkForce

Original MIDI files for you to play with *UPDATED AGAIN*

Post by LewkForce »

Hey, I just joined. I joined with a purpose, though. Hear me out.

I used to play with Sibelius a lot back in the early 2000's. At the same time I was listening to a lot of Tool, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, and was in the high school jazz band. Having Sibelius around was a nice way for me to compose a few things (often times on a whim, never intending to finish anything). However, I did manage to "finish" a fair amount of tracks. Enough to create this post, anyway. I only had Sibelius versions 3.0 and 4.0 between 2000 and 2007, but I somehow managed to keep those tracks on a backup drive that I completely forgot about until recently. By my folder's count, there's 218 files. I offer 51. *EDIT* 50 in the MIDI pack, 49 in the MP3 pack

Mind you, many of the MIDIs from the main set are incomplete and will probably remain that way forever. So I thought I'd refine that collection into a smaller set of actual completed compositions and, well, this is what I have to offer.

Yes, it's free. Don't claim that it's yours, though. Just credit "LewkForce" in your notes/credits and that's enough. Basically, don't be a dick. <3

*IF THE LINK DOESN'T WORK, FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME DIRECTLY - lukeseiwert@gmail.com

https://nofile.io/f/CkzHzE6tB6n/LewkForce+MIDI.zip <---- LINK IS DEAD *NOTE* PLEASE SEE LATEST POSTS FOR CURRENT LINK
Last edited by LewkForce on Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Blue Shadow

Re: Original MIDI files for you to play with

Post by Blue Shadow »

Moved to Resources.
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

Thank you for moving this to Resources, for some reason I wasn't able to post it here originally.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This is probably why you weren't able to: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=58406
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

I appreciate that, and thank you.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Oooo! I love a good MIDI pack. Thanks for sharing these!

I've been listening to these for the last few days, and I won't bother you with a huge blow-by-blow critique of the whole thing, I'll just talk a little bit about select tracks. Have tried not to be too critical. :P

"Black Label" reminds me of the Street Fighter II Vega theme. :P

"Checkmate" is a favorite, it's got a great 5/4 groove and some sweet riffs and melodies. I enjoy the way it swings between placid and heavy.

"Clutch" is another fave, with some great rhythms and drumming. Reminds me of Muse for some reason.

"Coward's Park" is pretty entertaining the whole way through except for that bassy outro that I think goes on for far too long.

"Crabs Don't Need Butter On The Ocean Floor", aside from having the best name for a song I've heard in a while, has some great rhythms and riffs and is very traditionally "doomy".
EDIT: Note to self, use this for an intermission track somewhere...

"Echoes of the Future" is slow and sombre but still quite interesting. I hear a lot of your influences pretty strongly here. :)

"Field of Korn" builds a little too slowly for me personally, but I really love its climactic outro.

"Folding" is just a really cool song, definitely usable somewhere! Same with "Gat Out of Hell" despite its short length.

"Joe Arpeggio" is a pretty cool track with lots of neat ideas, but it's kinda short and hence feels like it doesn't have as much direction as the other tracks.

"Little River"'s funky organ and brass are fantastic.

"Lure" is another very Doom-like song that reminds me of some of Mark Klem's older compositions.

"My Marriage is Fucked Up" suffers a bit from the same lack of direction as "Joe Arpeggio", but again the musical ideas that are there are really cool and catchy.

"Nest of Vipers" is long and epic and while it has a great feel and structure, some of the melodies feel a bit "disjointed" like fewer notes would've done the job well.

"Outerworld Class" has got some pretty rad drumming, but the melodies really let this track down - they seem to have no idea where to go.

"Page Removed" has some really interesting and coherent change-ups. Even its more complex melodies all interplay quite nicely.

"Primal Pool (La Brea)" is uhh... sorry, it might be my least favorite of this bunch. Very monotonous.

"Pyrrhic Victory" is, I fear, also far too repetitive to really be terribly entertaining for any Doom map that lasts its five minute length.

"Stone Chamber" is another cool Doomy track with a really ominous vibe.

"Toxic Hallucination" is heavy and slow-building and very cool once it really kicks off. You've got a great handle on drum programming.

"Triangulating" is a beautifully sombre track, though maybe a slight bit repetitive.

"Unconscious News" I'd say the same about, but it's slightly more rhythmically dynamic with the 5/4 pattern, and it keeps itself pretty interesting melodically throughout.

"Vette" is something I truly didn't expect out of this pack. Jazzy! I love it. This is in a league of its own. :o

Highlights: "Clutch", "Crabs Don't Need Butter On The Ocean Floor", "Folding", "Little River", "Lure", "Page Removed", "Stone Chamber", "Toxic Hallucination", and "Unconscious News".

Some tracks I haven't mentioned here just because I couldn't quite think what to say. Overall, while some tracks can feel overly repetitive, or in the reverse case have a few "too many ideas" for their length, I really have enjoyed listening to these and have recommended them to the mappers on my Discord server, so I thoroughly would like to see these get used in maps.

It's great to see new blood keeping MIDI composition alive. Please keep it up! :thumb:
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun May 20, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armaetus
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Armaetus »

If someone can go through the completed tracks, can you list them here?
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Not sure what you're asking? Here's a list of the track names if that's what you were needing. There's 50 in this pack.
Spoiler:
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

Jimmy wrote:Oooo! I love a good MIDI pack. Thanks for sharing these!

I've been listening to these for the last few days, and I won't bother you with a huge blow-by-blow critique of the whole thing, I'll just talk a little bit about select tracks. Have tried not to be too critical. :P

"Black Label" reminds me of the Street Fighter II Vega theme. :P

"Checkmate" is a favorite, it's got a great 5/4 groove and some sweet riffs and melodies. I enjoy the way it swings between placid and heavy.

"Clutch" is another fave, with some great rhythms and drumming. Reminds me of Muse for some reason.

"Coward's Park" is pretty entertaining the whole way through except for that bassy outro that I think goes on for far too long.

"Crabs Don't Need Butter On The Ocean Floor", aside from having the best name for a song I've heard in a while, has some great rhythms and riffs and is very traditionally "doomy".
EDIT: Note to self, use this for an intermission track somewhere...

"Echoes of the Future" is slow and sombre but still quite interesting. I hear a lot of your influences pretty strongly here. :)

"Field of Korn" builds a little too slowly for me personally, but I really love its climactic outro.

"Folding" is just a really cool song, definitely usable somewhere! Same with "Gat Out of Hell" despite its short length.

"Joe Arpeggio" is a pretty cool track with lots of neat ideas, but it's kinda short and hence feels like it doesn't have as much direction as the other tracks.

"Little River"'s funky organ and brass are fantastic.

"Lure" is another very Doom-like song that reminds me of some of Mark Klem's older compositions.

"My Marriage is Fucked Up" suffers a bit from the same lack of direction as "Joe Arpeggio", but again the musical ideas that are there are really cool and catchy.

"Nest of Vipers" is long and epic and while it has a great feel and structure, some of the melodies feel a bit "disjointed" like fewer notes would've done the job well.

"Outerworld Class" has got some pretty rad drumming, but the melodies really let this track down - they seem to have no idea where to go.

"Page Removed" has some really interesting and coherent change-ups. Even its more complex melodies all interplay quite nicely.

"Primal Pool (La Brea)" is uhh... sorry, it might be my least favorite of this bunch. Very monotonous.

"Pyrrhic Victory" is, I fear, also far too repetitive to really be terribly entertaining for any Doom map that lasts its five minute length.

"Stone Chamber" is another cool Doomy track with a really ominous vibe.

"Toxic Hallucination" is heavy and slow-building and very cool once it really kicks off. You've got a great handle on drum programming.

"Triangulating" is a beautifully sombre track, though maybe a slight bit repetitive.

"Unconscious News" I'd say the same about, but it's slightly more rhythmically dynamic with the 5/4 pattern, and it keeps itself pretty interesting melodically throughout.

"Vette" is something I truly didn't expect out of this pack. Jazzy! I love it. This is in a league of its own. :o

Highlights: "Clutch", "Crabs Don't Need Butter On The Ocean Floor", "Folding", "Little River", "Lure", "Page Removed", "Stone Chamber", "Toxic Hallucination", and "Unconscious News".

Some tracks I haven't mentioned here just because I couldn't quite think what to say. Overall, while some tracks can feel overly repetitive, or in the reverse case have a few "too many ideas" for their length, I really have enjoyed listening to these and have recommended them to the mappers on my Discord server, so I thoroughly would like to see these get used in maps.

It's great to see new blood keeping MIDI composition alive. Please keep it up! :thumb:
Thank you much for your review and please feel free to employ them anywhere. It would be nice if you have room to give a credit in any projects you're working on, but I understand if you don't want to. Hopefully I'll hear a track or two in the future, and that's an honor enough for me. :) Thanks also for recommending them to your friends on Discord! I renamed many of these tracks just before I uploaded, so I'll have to go back and listen to them - many of the original filenames were something ridiculous like "finish this track dammit" or "groovykindafunkyshit".

Heh, I wanted to spend a second to mention "Crabs...", as it was a ridiculous little track I knocked out for a friend originally titled "Nathan's Clam Experience". He was a huge fan of Primus and also Led Zeppelin, so I made it for him. It's got the quirky funky bass lines Les Claypool was known for and even a bridge dedicated to Zeppelin's "The Rover". It had lyrics and everything (since lost) and was just a fun one-day composition that stuck around.

As far as making more MIDIs, that's up to fate and if I can find not only the software but also the time now that I'm a working-class adult (most of these were made when I was still in high school). As I may have mentioned, I boiled down a set of well over 200 tracks into 50 that were at least listenable and could be utilized for anyone in development of mods, games, or if they simply wanted to use them to build a composition of their own. I'd say most of these tracks were never "complete" in my mind because I had plans to incorporate them into sequencing on Ableton using plug-ins and further editing that Sibelius couldn't offer. This should help explain my some of the tracks seemed repetitive, too, as they were designed for future editing on Ableton.

Again, I thank you so much for giving them a listen and hopefully found a few things you can use. I think the package has a decent amount of variety so that others can pick and choose.

Much love!
-LewkForce
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

Oh, and "Vette" has two versions, actually. This was originally composed as a chart for my high school jazz band, but I also made another version where I wrote some example solos.

Also, I'm in the process of converting these to WAV (16-bit 44K) format, too. I may release those when I'm finished doing this, as WAV/MP3 is sometimes easier to code in to mods and the result of the conversion sounds much closer to how I heard them back in the day. More than likely, it's due to different chips (Microsoft, Roland, Yahama, etc.).
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

In light of Jimmy's reviews, I thought I'd give a more track-by-track approach and actually list not only the tracks but some insight (and review) on them. I was going to respond to Jimmy's comment in an itemized fashion on what he said, but I think it's better to give insight on all of the tracks. I have a few hours, why not? Plus, it gives you a tracklist for all 51 in this pack. Also, please read the whole thread first as I mention a few things that might be available and some insight previously.

I will provide here the track name, instrumentation used, composition notes, track notes, and map recommendations.

I will continue this list when I have the time, but for now I can only provide a few.

Acceptable Levels of Biohazard: Bass, guitar, synth, drums. This track is in 4/4 and direct. Simple melodies, a few fills, and a few breaks. Heavy guitar and drums, nothing really standing out but probably good to use for an opening map or a shorter map.

Awakening: Bass, guitar, drums. Multiple time signatures. Complimentary melodies, yet catchy. Very short. Not very many maps can use this, but best for shorter maps

Black Label: Bass, guitar, drums, synth. Track in 4/4. Has build-ups to increase tension. Think Serious Sam with this track. Fun, almost Middle-Eastern/Greek in the composition. Extra percussion helps move the track and creates a sense of urgency. One of Jimmy's recommended tracks. A good track to use for a map with some verticality and especially if your map requires you to be on your toes at all times.

B-lieve in your Organ: Organ, synth. Track in 4/4. Many key changes to accommodate the melody. Organ creates the sense of motion, almost jazzy. Smooth 90's style riffs. Good for a map that doesn't take itself too seriously nor is particularly stressful.

Checkmate: Drums, bass, synth, guitar. Track in 5/4. The glockenspiel starts the track off and continues through, giving the track a very dark feel - especially if the map/mod has babies in it. SIDENOTE: The track was originally called "Babies Should Be Illegal". Best used on freakish maps. EDIT: This track was kind of created by accident. The weird melody in the middle was the result of a botched copy/paste job that went from one instrument to another. Essentially, the drum track was accidentally pasted into the guitar track, but the resulting sound was too good to omit. That's how it ended up sounding that way.

Clutch: Acoustic guitar, drums, guitar, bass. Track in 4/4. Starts off with acoustic and distortion guitars providing the groundwork and melody for the track. Reminds Jimmy of Muse, and is one of his faves. One of the more technical tracks in terms of melody/fills/programming. This track doesn't really hold back, so use it on any map where the flow just "works". Recommended if your map makes use of arch-viles.

Controlled Explosion: Piano, synth, drums, guitar, bass. Makes use of 6/8 and 3/4 time. Heavy influence from Dream Theater. Can be used in almost any occasion.

Corrupt Firmament: Synth, strings, piano, drums, guitar, bass. Track in 4/4 at first, complex later. Ostinatos of strings and guitar provide tension. Best for maps with many low-level enemies in corridors.

Coward's Park: Piano, guitar, bass, drums. Track in 4/4. Groovy and catchy melodies most of the way through. Bass outro goes on a little long, but looping should break up the repetition. Best used for maps with puzzle environments (keys, doors, etc.)

Crabs Don't Need Butter on the Ocean Floor: Slap bass, drums, synth, guitar. Track in 4/4 and triplet 4/4. Has Led Zepelin's "The Rover" in the middle. This track can be used pretty much anywhere, especially in boss levels or intermission screens.

Cradle of Anthrax: Track in 4/4. Strings, percussion, drums, guitar, bass. Probably the more overlooked of the tracks, it's got epic appeal to final bosses and has a haunting melody. For those who enjoy the buildup to an epic boss battle or even a horde of enemies on a slaughter map, this one's for you.

Crystalline: Synth, bells, guitar, bass, drums. Multiple time signatures. One of the first compositions I made almost 20 years ago, still beautiful in it's own right. Niche track, was experimenting with time signatures and melodies at the time. Probably the most disjointed track here. If you have a disjointed map, then I recommend it. Otherwise, it's just got pretty melodies and that's it.

Dolphin Song: Synth, guitar, drums, bass. Track in 4/4. Heavily inspired by Tool, but thanks to the limitations of MIDI the translation made it feel more repetitive and annoying more than anything else. You could use it in a map, I guess. It's also unfinished.

Dynamo Frats: Bass, drums, organ. Track in 6/8. The melody is catchy as hell, the organ is well programmed. The bass saves this track, though. While maybe not DOOM-worthy, this track could be put to use on a less serious DOOM mod.

Echoes of the Future: Acoustic guitar, bass, piano, drums, synth. Track in 4/4 and 3/8. While it doesn't stand out at first, it builds up. Many influences in this track. What I personally like about this track is nothing stands out too much and every instrument has a purpose. This track tells a story. If you're going to put this track in, you're doing it because your map has a story to it.
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

Fetal Psoriasis: Bass, glockenspiel, drums, guitar, percussion. Track is in 4/4. Influences of early Tool. Any map with large areas and puzzle elements could benefit from this track, although it is short.

Field of Korn: Percussion, drums, guitar, bass. Track is in 4/4, with a few odd signature elements near the end. Melodic percussion lines with interludes of heavy guitar and good drum programming - does kinda drone on, but builds near the end. Could best be suited for maps that are straightforward and don't really have much going on before the next mission. Jimmy seems to agree.

Filtered Peaches: Piano, guitar, bass, drums. Track is in 4/4. Split into two "movements". Melancholy melodies and phrases create the feeling of loss in the first "movement". Second "movement" gives a feeling of accomplishment. This is probably best done with a well-orchestrated map which hands out a big weapon for the first time.

Folding: Piano, drums, guitar, bass. Track in 4/4. Flowing rhythm and phrases allude to movement. Particularly good for maps with verticality or have a steady flow. One of Jimmy's faves.

Gat Out Of Hell: Drums, synth, guitar, bass. Track in 5/4. Fast, but intelligent. Best suited for maps that require a lot of circle-strafing projectile enemies (Revenants, Imps, CyberDemon, etc.)

I Don't Trust This Bridge: Synth, drums, percussion, guitar. Track in 4/4. Cadence-driven, almost war-like short track. Influenced by Wumpscut's B-side releases on BlutKind. Using this track when instantly facing a boss (or bosses) makes a lot of sense.

Joe Arpeggio: Guitar, bass, drums. Track in mixed time signatures. Lots of interesting melody ideas not put into length, Most unfinished track on the list. Was meant as an overture to future projects later abandoned. Might be cool to include in a few things, but nothing comes to mind. This one is more for those who wish to use parts of it as a template for their own creations.

Kyoto Dusk: Synth, bass, drums. Track in 4/4. If Natalie Imbruglia toured with Depeche Mode and wrote a song together, this is what they'd come up with. One of my first compilations on Sibelius. Again, it could be used as a template for others.

Lazy Eye: Drums, guitar, bass. Track in multiple time signatures. Great drum programming. Very disjointed melodies. Best used for a map where things are just... weird.

Life on the Line: Synth, piano, electric piano, strings. Track in 4/4. Use of oscillating arpeggios. Heavily inspired by Wumpscut and Funker Vogt. Builds tension - best used in maps where tension is building, particularly to the next map.

Light it Up: Guitar, bass, drums, organ. Track in multiple time signatures. Has an almost late 90's ska/punk feel to it at times. Great for any map.

Little River: Synth, organ, slap bass, drums, brass. Track in multiple time signatures. Lots of brass hits and a killer bass line. The organ sings over all of it. One of my favorites to listen to (Jimmy seems to agree). Flows well, fun to listen to, and just plain good in F-minor. Complimentary drums set this piece off. Best used pretty much anywhere.

Lure: Guitar, bass, drums. Track in 4/4. Hits the ground running. Very OG Doom-like. Fast-paced. Suited for opening maps that enter the player to the new world they're in, especially if it's fucll of enemies to turn into a thin red paste.

My Marriage is Fucked Up: Piano, drums, bass, guitar. Track in multiple time signatures. Great melodies, but then kinda hit a wall. Ska elements. Good for future development for anyone interested.

Nest of Vipers: Synth, piano, drums, bass, guitar, percussion. Track in 4/4. Heavily inspired by Dream Theater and use of arpeggios with many counter-melodies. One of the longer tracks - epic and interesting, almost like an overture. Possibly too many notes to make some melodies work. Longer maps will work well with this track.

Numerology: Guitar, bass, drums. Track in multiple time signatures. Heavily inspired by Tool. Melody is simple, but all other instrumentation is mostly complex. Lengthy maps will be best suited for this track.
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

Outerworld Class: Bass, synth, strings, drums. Track is in 4/4. Melody and bass driven, but quite repetitive. Best used on a map with corridors and key/puzzle elements.

Page Removed: Bass, synth, guitar, drums. Track varies from 4/4 to 6/8 feel. Heavy inspiration from Led Zeppelin and Tool. Great "all-around" track. Complex and groovy with a subtle melody. Put this one in any classic lengthy DOOM-style map and enjoy!

Pay the Toll: Percussion, drums, guitar (2), bass. Track is in 4/4 and 3/4. Inspired from early Tool albums. An early composition, Exploratory maps benefit from this track.

Primal Pool (La Brea): Drums, bass, guitar. Track is in multiple time signatures. Experimental. Disjointed. Best used... well, don't use it.

Pyrrhic Victory: Electric piano, bass, drums, guitar, synth. Track is in 4/4. Epic track, reminds me of DOOM II's "Suburbs". Most maps with a destroyed city theme should work well with this track.

Shapeshifter: Guitar, bass, drums, piano. Track is in 7/4. Very DOOM-like in the opening, melody kinda drones on with kicks from the chorus. Great track to use for a map much like DOOM II's "Nirvana". A map that requires some thinking (puzzle/key/secret elements).

Shimmering: Guitar, bass. Track is mostly in 4/4. Acoustic setting, probably best used in open maps.

Slow Burn: Bass, drums, piano. Track is in 4/4. Odd phrasing gives the illusion of odd time signatures. Piano seems to have a mind of it's own, but aligns itself with the bass and drums. Melancholy. Best used on maps with either not much action or sparse moments of action.

Stone Chamber: Guitar, drums, piano, bass. Track is in multiple time signatures (mostly 12/8). Inspired by Ozzy Osbourne''s album "Down to Earth". Unfinished.
zzzzzzz

Post by zzzzzzz »

What I've heard so far is great. I love the guitar solo at the end of Filtered Peaches.

Will you ever do an mp3 conversion so I can listen on my ipod?
LewkForce

Post by LewkForce »

zzzzzzz wrote:What I've heard so far is great. I love the guitar solo at the end of Filtered Peaches.

Will you ever do an mp3 conversion so I can listen on my ipod?
I'm in the middle of doing so, actually. Thank you for the kind words, as well. I will hopefully have mp3 uploads ready by Monday.

Return to “Resources”