[Models] 3D Models for GzDoom

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
TheDramaticSkull

Re: [Models] 3D Models for GzDoom

Post by TheDramaticSkull »

SomeOtherDoomGuy wrote:I can understand that. It's like your not asking too much and that is good. If you are talking about these models - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0mGsmVDJ4 - then that seems like a far easier task. However a few of these models are completely hideous..... like the baron, hell knight, caco, cyber. Even the more decent models have movement speed that is completely out of sync with their walk cycles. I guess it just seems to be unworthy of the effort..at least to me. I am working on something with another forum member and using my own 3d models to make sprites and it is slow going and painstaking.

What would be involved with porting those models over? Are in using md3 in skulltag or risen3d?
Idk about Risen3D, but I know the Skulltag models (ds-models, the only ones I can find) wont work in GZDoom because it requires Skilltag's pk3 files. Those pk3 Files do work with Zandronum so I can use ds-models there. I once tried to make it compatable myself by removing the Skulltag related files from ds-models. While I did get it to run, it broke some of the weapon models.

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to coding btw. ^^;
aivar242

Post by aivar242 »

Idk about Risen3D, but I know the Skulltag models (ds-models, the only ones I can find) wont work in GZDoom because it requires Skilltag's pk3 files. Those pk3 Files do work with Zandronum so I can use ds-models there. I once tried to make it compatable myself by removing the Skulltag related files from ds-models. While I did get it to run, it broke some of the weapon models.

What 3D models do you consider to be the best at the moment? Throw me a link to download them here if you can.
I can say at once that I only attach models to GZDoom and Zandronum ports because I consider them to be perspective ports.

I now occupy myself with another project but I will definitely look at them whether they are worthy to be in the game.
TheDramaticSkull

Post by TheDramaticSkull »

aivar242 wrote:

What 3D models do you consider to be the best at the moment? Throw me a link to download them here if you can.
I can say at once that I only attach models to GZDoom and Zandronum ports because I consider them to be perspective ports.

I now occupy myself with another project but I will definitely look at them whether they are worthy to be in the game.
I use DS Models. You can find several different versions on wad-archive.com (https://www.wad-archive.com/search?q=DS ... ar&start=0). However there are some compatibility issues. The majority of them require assets from Skulltag, and while they are compatible with earlier versions of Zandronum, some of them may not work with the latest version.

Only one of them there can be run with GZDoom, gz-models.pk3, but the only models that seem to work are the monsters, armor pickups, and the chaingun (kinda weird how thats the only weapon model that works).
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

what bout 3d gun models?
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

I wish someone could port the Risen3D weapon models to be useable in GZDoom. The Shotgun in Risen3D looks very close to the original Sprite, and the Doomsday/SkullTag model packs have an awful model for the Shotgun (at least the ones I tried).

I had a pack of models from Skulltag (with the horrible Shotgun model), and I spent weeks looking for a set of Defs that allowed it to work in GZDoom (otherwise all objects weapons and enemies were invisible and I couldn't see what was killing me), a few years ago, however it was broken by a GZDoom update, meaning the weapons and some of the pickups became invisible. I have long since lost the files though so even if I found new Defs without the original file I am screwed.

I don't think GZDoom supports the model format that Risen3D uses so someone with 3D modeling experience would need to convert them to a GZDoom compatible model format. Hopefully without breaking some of the effects (particularly with the Decor, and the flames I don't know how they could be ported without breaking the transparencies).

Today, I found a PK3 of the Skulltag models but GZDoom won't accept them and crashes when attempting to run GZDoom, after showing red error messages with every file in the moments before the crash.

But if someone could convert the HUD weapons in Risen3D to a format accepted by GZDoom that would be wonderful. If I knew how to, had the right programs and could write the def files correctly I'd have a crack myself.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

We're workin' on additional models for GZDoom, they shall be in MD3 format, with all complete animations and stuff, however, I'll require some help resizing them, if they prove to be too small or too big.
Since full-3D automated turretguns are very sparse, we decided to churn out some. They can be either destructible enemies (we'll utilize them that way) or indestructible obstacles. Their rotations will allow wall and ceiling placements, too, and will be able to track the player in 3D, not just sideways. Three types shall be made: A cannon turret, a rocket turret, and a lazor turret! Pew pew pew! That should be more than enough for 90% of techbase-themed levels.
The fourth model shall be a Battle-bunker, which'll only allow floor placement and cannot aim vertically. This one shall be made for environments without electricity and somewhat fulfill the role of turrets.
Attachments
Lazor turret alpha
Lazor turret alpha
Cannon turret pre-alpha stage
Cannon turret pre-alpha stage
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Reactor wrote:...and will be able to track the player in 3D, not just sideways.
that sounds interresting
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, I have a skilled modelist, as you can see :) Small things, such as a turret being able to shoot elevated angles is not that difficult to produce. Oh ye, all turrets shall come with their own sound effects as well.
Of course, none of said turrets will be able to aim downwards, so they shall be defenseless from below. The Battle-Bunker will be even more vulnerable for attacks. We cannot really decide, however, which turret is better than others.
drako

Post by drako »

Are you able to convert 3d models from Doom 3 to work in (G)Zdoom? They have been already extracted and work in doomsday: https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-resou ... /jd3rp-v12.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It looks like a lot of the work may already be done. Most of the models in that pack have been converted to MD2 format for use in Doomsday and others are in DMD format which is a Doomsday modification of the MD2 format. Both are supported by GZDoom so it would "just" be a case of writing the necessary config files. Unfortunately, MD2 is a terrible format with wobbly vertices that move around all over the place (especially noticeable in animated models) but I don't think Doomsday supports MD3 (which has more precise ways of storing vertices) so that's that.
drako

Post by drako »

What "config files" do you have in mind? Is there a way to generate them automatically?
Is there a way to automatically convert from MD2 to MD3 (or some other) format which can be handled by GZDOOM without the need of creating these "config files"?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The "config" files I had in mind are [wiki]MODELDEF[/wiki] and because those models contain loads of frames of animation you'll need to create some underlying actors with long walking cycles etc in [wiki]DECORATE[/wiki] or [wiki]ZScript[/wiki]. It's certainly doable, but it's not a particularly quick task. There are already lots of *.ded files in that mod which define the actors (I suppose they can be thought of as what Doomsday has rather than DECORATE/ZScript) but I'm not aware of an easy conversion from one to the other.

As for converting the MD2 files to MD3 files, there are some programs that can do it but, unfortunately, the damage has already been done. Saving the files in the MD2 format messes up the vertices and there is no way to un-mess them. It would be like converting a jpg to a png and hoping that all the jpg compression artefacts would just go away. The only way to fix them would be painstaking manual editing of every single animation frame - or doing the conversion again from scratch and straight to MD3 instead of MD2. I took a look at a few of the models in a model viewer and the wobbly vertices were immediately apparent to me. They were very noticeable on the BFG idling frames, for example.
drako

Post by drako »

Does GZDoom support MD5 (which is used by Doom 3 - for example in the demo which can be downloaded for free)?
Edit: Nevermind. It seems that GZDoom does not support MD5 - https://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?t=7061
On the other hand, I have found this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqleCw8foI
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Sooo, this means, it is possible to put Shotgun Z-Sectors and Machinegun Z-Sectors in GZDoom somehow?
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

The last video from drako showing the md5 models is using D-GLES, which is different surceport.

Return to “Resources”