[Models] 3D Models for GzDoom

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
aivar242

[Models] 3D Models for GzDoom

Post by aivar242 »

I converted the best models from the packs of Sitters, Doomsday, Risen 3D to the GZDoom port. Some models I improved. Whoever wants can try them.

aivar242's Graphic Mod v.1.
PREVIEW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVHaK43 ... e=youtu.be

DOWNLOAD:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MByFo ... F0j4VnP_1x
Last edited by aivar242 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Airos
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [Models] 3D Models for GzDoom

Post by Airos »

Very awesome.

If I may offer a suggestion, it would be to consider adding rotation to most pickups. There are cases in your video where the helmets are facing into corners (thus directing their glow away from the player's POV), or the health packs with their front facing a wall. Basically, since pickups originally always faced the player, there are places where no care was given to which "direction" the item was facing.

One edge case may be the box of rockets. Later in your video, there's one that sits very nice and neatly up against a wall. Adding rotation in that specific case would likely create clipping. The Megasphere and Invisibility Orb look fantastic as well.

There are pickups for which rotation isn't vital (bullet clips, shotgun shells, rockets, etc), but I personally find it more aesthetically pleasing if all pickups follow the same behaviour, rather than some rotating and some not.
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I don't think that is possible because the direction the model faces depends on the angle of the thing placed in the map.
aivar242

Post by aivar242 »

Airos wrote:Very awesome.

If I may offer a suggestion, it would be to consider adding rotation to most pickups. There are cases in your video where the helmets are facing into corners (thus directing their glow away from the player's POV), or the health packs with their front facing a wall. Basically, since pickups originally always faced the player, there are places where no care was given to which "direction" the item was facing.

One edge case may be the box of rockets. Later in your video, there's one that sits very nice and neatly up against a wall. Adding rotation in that specific case would likely create clipping. The Megasphere and Invisibility Orb look fantastic as well.

There are pickups for which rotation isn't vital (bullet clips, shotgun shells, rockets, etc), but I personally find it more aesthetically pleasing if all pickups follow the same behaviour, rather than some rotating and some not.
I thought about it and even did it first so that the helmets would rotate. Then I looked and realized that when the helmet rotates there is absolutely no glow effect inside the helmet and it's not beautiful.

As for the rocketbox then I do not know what else you can do with them? When they lie side by side along they pull each other together. I can make them rotate but it will not be right. I'm generally against the rotation of objects in Doom. Let it belong to the game Quake.) The fact is that this is just a necessity when the model is flat and that it can be seen it is necessary that it rotate.

In general if a few more people want a helmet to rotate I'll do it. I can also make sure that each helmet is sent to either side spontaneously. Most of all I like fire, on barrels sticks and candles. It is generated, as in the Doomsday port.
Airos

Post by Airos »

I'd just like to make sure that I've been clear with my suggestion, I mean "spin" in 360 degrees like the armor and keycards currently do, not "rotate to always face the player". I apologize if that wasn't clear before.

I agree that the missile boxes should not spin. It was simply to clarify that I understand not every pickup should spin, only that I thought a few more than currently do should.

With that being said, I respect your view as well, and there's a perfectly valid argument to leave the choice of pickups spinning or not to whomever makes a mod using these resources. I personally have become accustomed to spinning from how the voxel mods tend to handle it, but it's perfectly valid how you've done it as well.
aivar242

Post by aivar242 »

Airos wrote:I'd just like to make sure that I've been clear with my suggestion, I mean "spin" in 360 degrees like the armor and keycards currently do, not "rotate to always face the player". I apologize if that wasn't clear before.
I fully understand you. You want the helmet model to rotate 360 ​​degrees around its axis.
I did it several times and watched how it would look. I did not like it and I did not move the helmets.

If you want, I can tell you how to make helmets rotation.
Airos

Post by Airos »

aivar242 wrote:If you want, I can tell you how to make helmets rotation.
Yeah, actually, I'd greatly appreciate that, thank you. I don't mind tweaking things myself, it helps me learn what I'm doing and get more comfortable with the editing tools.
aivar242

Post by aivar242 »

Airos wrote:
aivar242 wrote:If you want, I can tell you how to make helmets rotation.
Yeah, actually, I'd greatly appreciate that, thank you. I don't mind tweaking things myself, it helps me learn what I'm doing and get more comfortable with the editing tools.
1. You need to open this archive with my 3D models, and you find there the file "Modeldef.Powerups.def" - open it.
2. In this file you look for the line "Model ArmorBonus_GlowEff".
3. In the empty line between Scale and FrameIndex enter the word "Rotating" and then save the document, and changes in the archive.

It should look like this:

Model ArmorBonus_GlowEff
{
Path "MD\ArmorBonus"
Model 0 "SpiritualArmor.md3"
Skin 0 "SpiritualArmor.png"
Scale 1.8 1.8 2.4
Rotating
FrameIndex BON2 ABCDCB 0 0
}
Genisys

Post by Genisys »

[quote="Airos"]There are cases in your video where the helmets are facing into corners (thus directing their glow away from the player's POV), or the health packs with their front facing a wall.[/quote]

I have also noticed that the models sometimes are facing walls or corners. Could someone please advice me on how to force the model to always FACE TARGET.
TheDramaticSkull

Post by TheDramaticSkull »

Any chance you'll be adding 3D models for the monsters and weapon sprites?
hoover1979
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by hoover1979 »

TheDramaticSkull wrote:Any chance you'll be adding 3D models for the monsters and weapon sprites?
I second that motion. It would be great to get GZDoom fully 3D.
TheDramaticSkull

hoover1979 wrote:
TheDramaticSkull wrote:Any chance you'll be adding 3D models for the monsters and weapon sprites?
I second that motion. It would be great to get GZDoom fully 3D.
Absolutely! There is already a fully 3D mod for Skulltag (or Zandronum with Skulltag's pk3 files), but It's not compatible with GZDoom. There are also things like Risen3D that can have full 3D models, but I'm not a fan of that source port.
Clay

Post by Clay »

That is a tall order guys. I think enough people have tried but it is just too difficult to be true to the sprites and see it through. There is the thread over at doomworld - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... d-project/

But he hasn't done much with it lately.

Something like that would almost certainly need to be a community project and that is made even more unlikely due the skill it would take to pull it off. Few doom modders have advanced modeling, UV texturing, rigging, and animating skills like what would be required.

To the OP. Thanks for sharing this! It will make for a great resource for learning how to use and implement 3d models in gzdoom.
TheDramaticSkull

SomeOtherDoomGuy wrote:That is a tall order guys. I think enough people have tried but it is just too difficult to be true to the sprites and see it through. There is the thread over at doomworld - https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/6 ... d-project/

But he hasn't done much with it lately.

Something like that would almost certainly need to be a community project and that is made even more unlikely due the skill it would take to pull it off. Few doom modders have advanced modeling, UV texturing, rigging, and animating skills like what would be required.

To the OP. Thanks for sharing this! It will make for a great resource for learning how to use and implement 3d models in gzdoom.
To be honest I would be satisfied if someone just ported the 3D models that were already made for Skulltag or Risen3D to GZDoom. :0
Clay

Post by Clay »

I can understand that. It's like your not asking too much and that is good. If you are talking about these models - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0mGsmVDJ4 - then that seems like a far easier task. However a few of these models are completely hideous..... like the baron, hell knight, caco, cyber. Even the more decent models have movement speed that is completely out of sync with their walk cycles. I guess it just seems to be unworthy of the effort..at least to me. I am working on something with another forum member and using my own 3d models to make sprites and it is slow going and painstaking.

What would be involved with porting those models over? Are in using md3 in skulltag or risen3d?

Return to “Resources”