High quality Hexen sound collecting!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

Re: High quality Hexen sound collecting!

Postby Finder153 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Captain J wrote:Maybe he bought some sound libraries used by certain game companies during the 90's. Though not sure they're cheaper or has rich information.

I think he found some of the Heretic (And DN3D, probably) sounds in the Sound Ideas libary. Here's what he said...

Perkristian wrote:Sorry, no progress lately. I don't know where to look anymore. I've quite thoroughly gone thru most of the Sound Ideas sound effect archives that were available at the time Doom came out.

I did find a few sound effects for Heretic while I was looking for Doom sounds and sort of started on a Heretic sound pack, but gave up... The game I've found the most sound effects for besides Doom is Duke Nukem 3D, but still it's just a fraction compared to the number of Doom sounds.
Finder153
Scorched earth!

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kinsie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:13 am

Of potential interest is this recent interview with Kevin Schilder about the audio and development of Heretic:

It confirms that a number of the Heretic monster sounds (Imps, Wizards etc.) are original recordings by the Raven team, so a "high quality sounds" project will have to recreate them through trial, error and mimickry.
Kinsie
A Concept Utterly Obsolete

Discord: Find Me...
Twitch ID: thekinsie

Postby Captain J » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:37 am

They actually interviewed with Kevin Schilder? That's super interesting. I didn't know they actually made their own sound effects for the game! Also that reminds me of ID Software also made their own sound effects for the enemies by distorting and pitching existing sounds(for instance, Arch-Vile's Death sound is actually the voice of little girl saying 'why?', but distorted and repeated 3 times). And yeah, 'bout that, finding similar sounds or editing vanilla sounds might be in a pickle.

... Thankfully i know how to edit and improve the sound effects, as an author of metadoom-inspired sound pack. But takes time and research to be done perfectly.
Captain J
'OH YE'

Discord: DiscussJ#3128

Postby Finder153 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:44 pm

I think in Heretic I heard some of the sounds that I recongnize such as the chicken noises and the saberclaw idle sound. Perhaps some of the sounds Raven got were stock sounds, while other are their own recordings.
Finder153
Scorched earth!

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Resources