What's wrong with this midi?

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

What's wrong with this midi?

Post by Enjay »

Anyone know why *ZDoom can't play the attached midi?

It works OK in Media Player Classic but when I try to use it in *ZDoom I just get silence. I'm really just asking out of interest. I have a bunch of files in a folder (I think they may have all come from the same game) and ZDoom can't play any of the ones I've tried.
ImpieTwo

Re: What's wrong with this midi?

Post by ImpieTwo »

I noticed some really old midi files -- such as the soundtrack for tyrian -- are in a different midi format that's so obsolete they aren't recognized as midi. The actual file format is rmid or something, but on modern comps it might still have the .mid extension. Do you think that's the case here?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

According to my foobar2000 MIDI plugin, this is in MIDI format 0, which not a lot of programs properly support; most programs expect MIDI format 1, which there are a surprising number of programs available with which to convert format 0 to format 1. This one topped my Google queries.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Works fine in SLADE 3, though.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I had the same problem, but thankfully, Anvil Studio can automatically convert format-0 MIDIs to format-1 MIDIs. Mind you, some instruments can get mixed up, and notes may end up at the wrong instruments. If this happens, one must manually copypasta the misguided tunes to their respective tracks.
If everything else fails, you can create a new MIDI file, then open up the format-0 MIDi and copypasta track after track into your new file. Hopefully this will help future victims of this problem.

Return to “Resources”