Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v3, look, up in the sky, more SKIES!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Mechadon

Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v3, look, up in the sky, more SKIES!

Post by Mechadon »

Download Box 'O Skies v3 RIGHT HERE! [66mb]

-------------------------------
Version 3:

- This adds an additional 407 new skies (again, many are recolors and variants). Many new base images, foregrounds, and other scraps have been included. Also check for .xcf files in the scraps folder if you wanna dig around some of the sky layouts. Lastly, check the animfiresky folder for a set of animated fire skies; these will need to be manually animated using something like ANIMDEFS.
-------------------------------

I figured it was finally time for me to officially release some of my sky textures. Some of them have been posted in random threads over the years, and many others have been released in projects such as Resurgence and THT: Threnody, among others. I've also had random skies lying around that I've made but never used, as well as some sub-par quality stuff that might be useful to someone. So I spent the better part of a day organizing everything and dumping it into a .zip file for you guys to enjoy :D

Currently I have 562* sky textures in the pack. They are all in Doom's palette and most of them are 1024x240px. There are a lot of color variations of the same texture, but there should still be quite a bit to choose from. Some are seamless vertically as well as horizontally (ie. the star skies). In addition I've included some of the base greyscale images, some foreground stuff with .png transparency, and a folder filled with some slightly crappier skies and experiments that I thought might be useful to someone out there. Unfortunately I don't have the base images for most of the skies that I made a few years ago, but I've included what I do have.

(*Note that I haven't tested every single sky, so let me know if one or more of them looks bad or is broken)

All of these skies can be used in any way you see fit! Chop 'em up, recolor them, stick 'em in a stew...do whatever! If you do use them, try and remember to give me some credit, I would appreciate it ;)

I will probably be updating this in the future with new skies and other stuff. What I would like to know from you guys is whether or not I should take the time to plop all of the skies in a wad and make a test map to showcase all of them. It will take a while to do, but I don't mind if its something that would be worthwhile. I think I would also like to dump this on /idgames at some point, though I would want to wait until its more finalized.

Here are some example skies:

If you guys run into any problems, or if you have any requests, just let me know ;). Thanks guys!
Last edited by Mechadon on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Mek's Box 'o Skies!

Post by Rachael »

I can't wait to see what people make from some of these - there are some really nice ones in this pack. ^_^
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

These look really good, I'm sure they will come in handy when I need a good sky.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks very much for this Mechadon :D Awesome work!
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm always happy if I can contribute something worthwhile to this awesome community :D

If you end up using any of these skies in your maps, send me some screenshots, I'd love to see 'em!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Mechadon wrote:or if you have any requests, just let me know
Think maybe you could whip up a starry night version of Ultimate Doom's episode 1 sky? The China mountains? I'd like it to look similar to Doom 64's blue mountain with stars, but obviously with classic Doom's episode 1 mountains.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Hi guys, I've got an update to share!

I had a sky that someone wanted me to make for them, and I got around to doing that today. So while I was at it, I made a few more and added some from projects that have been released since v1. So here's v2 with 40 more skies (along with new bases, foreground stuff, and scraps).

Box 'O Skies v2 (Mirror) [18mb]

Here's a preview of a few of the new skies.

I also included a little test map that let's you quickly toss in a sky to see how it looks. It's nothing fancy and it requires some SLADE 3 and TEXTURE1 editing knowledge, but it might be useful to someone out there.

Like last time, I was too lazy to really test every new sky here :P. So if there's a cruddy looking sky, or if you see a bug or something that could be done better, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Thanks again to everyone who has left kind words, and an extra special thanks to all of you who have used these in your maps! More updates will likely come in the future :)
Nevander wrote:
Mechadon wrote:or if you have any requests, just let me know
Think maybe you could whip up a starry night version of Ultimate Doom's episode 1 sky? The China mountains? I'd like it to look similar to Doom 64's blue mountain with stars, but obviously with classic Doom's episode 1 mountains.
Sorry I missed this Nevander, I wasn't paying attention to this thread for a while. Do you still need something like this?
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

Mechadon wrote:Sorry I missed this Nevander, I wasn't paying attention to this thread for a while. Do you still need something like this?
If it's not too much trouble, yea.
Mechadon

Re: Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v2, now with more SKIES

Post by Mechadon »

Here ya go Nevander, hopefully this is close to what you were looking for:

I did a version with some clouds in an attempt to obscure the bright upper edge of the mountain in the background against the night sky. But I wasn't sure that was something you would like, so I did a plain version too.
Mechadon

Re: Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v2, now with more SKIES

Post by Mechadon »

Yo! So lately I've had an itch to make some new sky textures. I figured it would be a good time to expand the pack since there are some skies that I've made that have been released in a couple of projects (D64D2, Vargskelethor map project #2, etc). I also wanted to work on some new ideas I've had for a while. So I've been working on this over the past couple of weeks.

Well, I may have went a bit overboard with the new additions, and I had to finally stop myself tonight. There are about 407 new skies, with a grand total of 562 sky textures! Don't get too excited though, many of them are color variations. I think I counted about 32 unique new skies of varying designs. Some of the older skies got updates and extra color variations. I thought about making a few more variations, but like I said I figured now would be a good time to stop :P

Box 'O Skies v3 [66mb]

Here's a preview of the new stuff:

ImageImageImage

As usual, I wasn't able to test all of these. So if you spot something that looks bad or broken, let me know. Some ideas came out better then others so expect quality to vary. I kept most of the base images (check the scraps folder) and there are also some .xcf files if someone wants to dig into them.

Also I'll reiterate that anyone can use these in any way they see fit. All I ask for in return is a small little credit blurb somewhere :). If you have a request, let me know and I'll see what I can do. More updates my come in the future!

One more thing to note - there's some animated fire sky textures included (they are in a separate folder). I found a dumb little GIMP plugin that let me make them. I didn't test them but hopefully they'll work out ok. They'll probably look best when animated at around 4 to 8 tics per frame. If you try them out, let me know how they look.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v3, look, up in the sky, more SKIE

Post by Kappes Buur »

Any Open GL (6-sided 512x512) skyboxes?
:)
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

A lot of good stuff in there :)
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Kappes Buur wrote:Any Open GL (6-sided 512x512) skyboxes?
:)
Heh, that's probably outside my skill set. I've never really looked into how they are made though I understand the basics. Maybe one day?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I use Flaming Pear's Flexify2 filter for Photoshop, it allows to create 6-sided skyboxes.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Thanks for the info, I'll look into that :)

Return to “Resources”