[SPRITE] Doom 4 Hellknight (Update 3)

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

[SPRITE] Doom 4 Hellknight (Update 3)

Post by Zanieon »

So i said some days ago, i made the sprite version of NuDoom's Hellknight with a simplified version of the texture i made for him in Substance Painter, though unlike Veridion which i posted as entirely a new monster ready to be implemented in anyone's mod, this one is like Neccronixis' project, it is only sprites.

Well then here's the list with the animation sets included:
  • Idle
  • Run
  • Leap with right hand only
  • Leap with both hands
  • Melee with right hand
  • Melee with left hand
  • Kick (a la Leonidas)
  • Jump
  • Death
  • Fireball throw

Currently i literally made the sprites from his 234 frames skipping 2 by 2 since sprites don't requires so much smoothed anims, so each rotation has 119 frames, he is in PNG format with images dimensions in 160x160, however they are still named as number frames not as named frames, his frames is also around the same resolution of Cyberdemon (128 pixels tall) as in the preview image and not paletted but i tried made him with simple colors to look more sprite look.

I may make updates to this yet, perhaps to make him a full functional monster.

Download (6MB)

Last edited by Zanieon on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
enderkevin13

Re: [SPRITE] Doom 4 Hellknight

Post by enderkevin13 »

Why the need for such a amount of frames though? I'm not complaining, it's just a small question.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

It gives the option to modders choose the frame rate they want, it's not necessary use all of them.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Thin details like the lines and ridges on the legs look a little aliased and disappear when they get too small, antialising / rendering 2x or 4x and downscaling would make it look more like a digitized photo and less like a model rip, as well as stronger ambient occlusion to accentuate the forms. The poses look really good though, that's got to be hardest part.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Thanks torridgristle :)

Though aliasing is an intentional thing since this is to make him look a sprite, rendering in hi-res to scale down would create unwanted smoothness which i don't think a sprite would have and if i remove these details the model looks so flat that he currently becomes too cartoon.

About the ambient occlusion, well i used additive in 0.3 exactly to not make the model so dark.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

If you don't want him to be dark then lower the AO radius and increase the lights around him, and Doom's sprites do have antialiasing because they're photographs. Antialiasing is a key technique in pixel art as well. Also, the model is already flat because you have additive AO removing or nearly removing all shadows, that's an issue unrelated to AA. Shadows give things depth.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

K, breaking from lazyness i tried the AO trick, it worked to make more details appear.

Updated first post with the actual result and already updated zip file with those.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Also, compared to some old renders I did these look a little thin. Are they aspect correct?
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

Nice dude, are you using a model viewer for rips the monsters?
HorrorMovieRei
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by HorrorMovieRei »

That's sick. Are you gonna do any other monsters? Or maybe just share your technique so others may try to rip the rest of monsters too?
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

HorrorMovieGuy wrote:That's sick. Are you gonna do any other monsters? Or maybe just share your technique so others may try to rip the rest of monsters too?
Is not so sick, i did the same with doom3 monster before, only you need to correct tools for that. But honestly i really like to know how to rip the doom4 monsters.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

torridgristle wrote:Also, compared to some old renders I did these look a little thin. Are they aspect correct?
You mean the 1.2 scaling? Nope, they aren't stretched that way.
HorrorMovieGuy wrote:That's sick. Are you gonna do any other monsters? Or maybe just share your technique so others may try to rip the rest of monsters too?
Baron of Hell is planned, well in fact he was my first attempt, however i messed up his UV and his texture is also too simple so i need rework on him, then i'll probably get Pinky only i think, after that i dunno if i will try the other monsters as i am one of that guys who are not impressed with Doom 4, mainly because a Campaign with cliffhanger doesn't cost $60 since multiplayer is dull and full of hacks and also Snapshit doesn't replace proper modding tool as they told "it will suffice the needs for mods".

I'm doing this mainly because these monsters really have a great evolved design in their models based in the older games, but pls don't ask me to get that Cybermoose, i really despise him, unlike Spider Mastermind which i liked alot and maybe can make an attempt on her too.

About sharing the technique to rip that, the process is very extensive and mostly requires production from the person who's ripping since all what i did is take only the mesh out of Doom 4, the texture i did on my own with Substance Painter as well the animations were made in Blender, the models also don't comes with UVs opened so the person have to do that part too.
DOOMERO-21 wrote:Is not so sick, i did the same with doom3 monster before, only you need to correct tools for that. But honestly i really like to know how to rip the doom4 monsters.
I can say it is so sick as NOT ripping Doom 3 ones with a model viewer since only DoomResEx can open the Doom 4 files with the great limitation of just showing the mesh, the texture you see, the animations you watched, all was done by me.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

If you make the sprites aspect correct you'll get 20% more pixels horizontally to work with without changing the height, though Cyberdemon height is a little large. Matching the Hell Knight to Doom's Hell Knight sprite size (73px tall) would make mixing and matching them look more cohesive in-game.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Sorry dude, but i am not wanting a fidelity patterns with vanilla sprites here, i really just wanted make sprited version of this monster, i don't want distort/strech/recolor him more than i already did just to fit in vanilla sprites' styles, my intention in fact is exactly to break this rule of making everything look just a heavy edited Baron of Hell, if the modder want to keep it in the proportions of the original Hellknight to not change the hitbox bounds, the decorate 'Scale' property exists for that.

Hellknight in Doom 3 and Doom 4 are kinda the double size of the player, i want to keep that proportion, Cyberdemon in both games are also 4 times bigger than player, if i someday make a sprited Cyberdemon too, i'll probably pick Doom 3 one and make him with a 256px tall sprite.
mutator

Post by mutator »

Enderkevin got banned? Why? :O

Return to “Resources”