[beta] kLazer - 3d laser beam

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
kodi

[beta] kLazer - 3d laser beam

Post by kodi »

The kLazer is a novel method of implementing a laser beam weapon in GZDoom. It doesn't use any ACS or TID's, and the beam is a single actor. Works for monsters and weapons alike.

It's only a beta for now, so there are some issues: the distance measuring stuff could be improved, the laser md3 model could be resized so it scales evenly with distance, and there could be a system in place for warping the same beam actor along with firing actor instead of spawning new ones all the time.

video demonstration

Edit: new download link
http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=27454

(requires the latest GZDoom development build)
Last edited by kodi on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSomariDX

Re: [beta] kLazer - 3d laser beam

Post by SuperSomariDX »

Now THAT is amazing!
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Sounds great!
Tell me, this is how the "Plasma Blast" weapon works in Q2 Ground Zero? Or the lazor barries in the walls/ceiling?
I just ask because I can't really decide what Quake 2 lazor beams are made of. Walls, sprites (NOT!), or models?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome, may I use it in WolfenDoom BoA?
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Dude that's pretty sweet! Are you planning on making the beam less jittery when firing in first person, or is there really no way around that?
kodi

Post by kodi »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

@Reactor
I'm fairly certain Q2 spawns a variable amount of copies of the same md2 model in a line, like the Q1 thunderbolt. That would have been the natural way to do it in GZDoom if the railgun functions weren't so limited (this seems to be changing soon enough though)

@tormentor667
Of course, and I'd be honored to have contributed anything to BoA. Everyone can use this, but I'd appreciate credits of course.
It does need some work before it's good enough for a player weapon though. Also if anyone comes up with any improvements to this I'd be happy to implement them for the next version and include you in the credits list.

@trusty
I think it should be possible to spawn just one beam in the fire state and have it warp to the player with interpolation while the fire button is held. Probably better for performance anyway.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Excellent! So this beta-3D laser beam was meant for player's weapon or an enemy weapon? Either way, it's truly an outstanding work, I just need to know it for sure before talking with the boys about utilizing it.
One thing is for sure: reproducing the same behavior what the "Plasma Blast" has in Quake 2 Ground Zero would be magnificent :) Especially if I give this weapon to certain enemies...it will make Super Meat Boy run for its money! Yep, we have the intention of making our game that hard...
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

Ooooooh, okay, this is pretty rad. I'm a sucker for beam weapons, and I tried implementing a constant-beam mode on one of my weapons a long time ago, but it just didn't work the way I wanted it to. This might be the thing I need for when I go back and remake that weapon.

Will definitely keep an eye on this.
Koto

Post by Koto »

Can't see the video. :(
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Try to open it with Firefox, it worked for me.
kodi

Post by kodi »

@Reactor
It's meant for both players and monsters(or Things in general). There's an example of both in the included map. The plasma thing from quake 2 has some kind of rings traveling down the beam right? That can't be sanely replicated until the railgun functions are updated.

@Henix
Post a screenie here if/when you get around to using it! :)

@kotolmetal
It's a webm, and I'm not sure whether IE or most phone browsers support that natively.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Thank you for the reply :) the rings aren't necessary at all, only the beam itself, and whether it works like expected.
(albeit it would be awesome if you could make the beam a bit more funky, akin to Lightning gun!)
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Nicely done! Here's what it looks like incorporated into my Star Trek mod, with a few graphical and model tweaks...
Click for larger...
Koto

Post by Koto »

Reactor wrote:Try to open it with Firefox, it worked for me.
It Worked, thanks.
kodi wrote: It's a webm, and I'm not sure whether IE or most phone browsers support that natively.
I normally use Chrome.

Now i saw the video, i like it. keep it up.
kodi

Post by kodi »

AFADoomer wrote:Nicely done! Here's what it looks like incorporated into my Star Trek mod, with a few graphical and model tweaks...
[images]
Man, that looks really awesome. Great glow effect on the beam!

The three things I have planned for the next version are a 3d model that scales correctly without multipliers, A_warp for continous attacks, and a laser ACS function patterned after (and likely incorporating) LineAttack. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

Return to “Resources”