[beta] kLazer - 3d laser beam

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [beta] kLazer - 3d laser beam

Post by Ozymandias81 »

AFADoomer wrote:An additional small tweak that might be useful:

Code: Select all

A_SetScale(FRandom(0.95, 1.05), GetDistance(1, AAPTR_MASTER) / 33.25, AAPTR_TRACER);
This makes the beam scale to varying 'diameters', and gives it a kind of shimmering effect instead of being a fully static.
Updated. Thanks for the nice hint AFA.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Reactor wrote:Whew!!! So far so good!
Tell me, kodi; can you make a version of these kLazor beams which would work like the ones in Quake 2? You know...those barriers which I could use to make the course harder (or easier, if enemies walk into them & get fried to delicate brown). There were constant, flickering (sequential and random), and even diagonal ones, albeit only at one occassion (Grid Control level). It would be truly awesome if these kLazor beams could also be used as hazards for levels (or even decorations - they look gorgeous!)
It pretty much works like that in the released version if you just remove the spinning frame from the laser emitter actor and give the bullet function non-zero damage. Anyway for static lasers like that I think it'll be easier to implement them with an ACS function that shoots a laser from any actor with arguments for angle, beam style, range, width pulse etc. I'll include one in the next version. Another bonus: should be zandro compatible.
AFADoomer wrote: I ran into this problem while making the moving spotlights in BOA. The rail attack still occasionally will jump to autoaim at the player, but nowhere near as often as the bullet attack does.
In this case, using the rail attack has the added benefit of being able to spawn actors along the path of the trail, so can give the beam some additional effects if desired...
I did a little experimentation with rail instead of bullets for non-weapon actors, which worked well as long as the beam wasn't hitting the floor or ceiling. When it did, the puff appeared but at very strange angles even with +ALWAYSPUFF.
Ozymandias81 wrote:Very small spoiler... I've managed to add spark flares & decals in conjuntion with Tormentor's white particles and smoke...
Neat! Side note about spotlights: I was actually planning on including a light cone model in the final release of this.
AFADoomer wrote:An additional small tweak that might be useful:
(code)
This makes the beam scale to varying 'diameters', and gives it a kind of shimmering effect instead of being a fully static.
Great idea. I'll mention it in the next release.

Speaking of which, managed to make an improved 3D model that scales directly with map units in both dimensions and which doesn't have any built in skin info.
blood

Post by blood »

Good job sir, this is sure an interesting stuff here.
Jerav

Post by Jerav »

How is the progress going Kodi?
kodi

Post by kodi »

Short version: Had a rough last week at work+a nasty cold so not much progress. Finalized a better 3d model and did some experimentation with puffs. Tried making a laser beam gunflash for use as a smooth first person beam but it can't even handle additive blending so I gave that up.
Xabis

Post by Xabis »

Hello, the original download link no longer seems to work. Any possibility of re-uploading it?

If you do, please consider uploading it as a file attachment on this forum instead of a 3rd party host.

Thanks!
kodi

Post by kodi »

Copy-pasting from a PM I sent to someone asking about this:

[This] laser system is actually kind of deprecated in gzdoom. These days you can use a 3d model actor as the "spawnclass" actor for a railgun function, preferably setting the sparsity argument to the base length of the 3d model beam I would assume. This wasn't possible when I wrote [klazer] (railgun-spawned actors didn't retain the pitch of their originator) [...]

So I don't think there's much use for this as it was when I uploaded it, but I could cut out the edited ACS version of this I'm using for my current zandronum project if there's still interest.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

kodi wrote:Copy-pasting from a PM I sent to someone asking about this:

[This] laser system is actually kind of deprecated in gzdoom. These days you can use a 3d model actor as the "spawnclass" actor for a railgun function, preferably setting the sparsity argument to the base length of the 3d model beam I would assume. This wasn't possible when I wrote [klazer] (railgun-spawned actors didn't retain the pitch of their originator) [...]

So I don't think there's much use for this as it was when I uploaded it, but I could cut out the edited ACS version of this I'm using for my current zandronum project if there's still interest.
Well, even if it's deprecated, if you still have the laser beam model you used, that'd be helpful for chumps like me who want to do this but don't have the resources available.
kodi

Post by kodi »

http://forum.zdoom.org/download/file.php?id=27454

Note: The "1mubeam" 3d model is 1.1.1 units and points straight down, meaning you can apply angle offsets and scale or whatever in gldefs to use it for projectiles with exact control over its dimensions.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Otherwise you may also check this version used on Blade of Agony :P

PS: Thank you very much Kodi!
Minuk

Post by Minuk »

File doesn't exist :3:

Return to “Resources”