[Sprites] Weapon hand templates

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
ETTiNGRiNDER

Re: [Sprites] Weapon hand templates

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

*pokes around in his heap of resource stuff*

Hmmm... Witchaven. Would anyone find use in a hands-only sheet from that, or are they too differently styled from anything useful?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:Hmmm... Witchaven. Would anyone find use in a hands-only sheet from that, or are they too differently styled from anything useful?
I love the Witchaven weapons. The gauntlets are pretty great too, and nicely gender-neutral.

So those could be helpful, yes. :yup:
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

NeuralStunner wrote:
ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:Hmmm... Witchaven. Would anyone find use in a hands-only sheet from that, or are they too differently styled from anything useful?
I love the Witchaven weapons. The gauntlets are pretty great too, and nicely gender-neutral.

So those could be helpful, yes. :yup:
shame the game was unplayably abysmal :(
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

Yeah, the weapon graphics are easily the best thing out of the game, but they have kind of a distinctive style (e.g. they don't mix well with, say, Hexen weapons which would be the closest other thing I think) and there are some issues using them with ZDoom (not only are they not suitable for widescreen, they're not even suitable for Doom's raise/lower and weapon bob animations, although I think DECORATE can work around those two issues.)

Anyway, I've got a sheet for the hands underway, although classes are eating a large chunk of my time at the moment. I can see where it will be a useful resource though, since there are lots of hand positions in this set.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Hm. I have a question, fellow Doomers...

Why isn't it a great idea to record your own hand while "doing stuff" with them, like, holding the gun, reloading and such? And then, you hard rip the images of your hand, and put it together with the gun. It is much easier to stroll through countless games, hoping that you may find the right one for your stuff?
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Reactor wrote:Hm. I have a question, fellow Doomers...

Why isn't it a great idea to record your own hand while "doing stuff" with them, like, holding the gun, reloading and such? And then, you hard rip the images of your hand, and put it together with the gun. It is much easier to stroll through countless games, hoping that you may find the right one for your stuff?
Many of us don't have actual weapons to record with, mainly due to certain countries' restrictions on ownership of firearms, or the prohibitively high costs of purchasing them. I own many toy guns, but it'd be pretty obvious.

Fun fact: I once ripped a prop AK-47 purchased from a Halloween costume shop. Didn't end well, until I hacked parts of the photo into ww-nazis' G43 rifle.
ETTiNGRiNDER

Post by ETTiNGRiNDER »

wildweasel wrote:I own many toy guns, but it'd be pretty obvious.
It worked for id. Are yours all garish colors or such?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, you got a point - I am talking about welding real-life hands together with virtual guns.

Take this for example. A couple o'months, I told ya that I'll create new weaponz for you guys. The first one shall be the Prism rifle, it'll also be a weapon for Tristania3D 2, in Vibeke Stene's inventory.

Now then, the Prism rifle is hard-ripped, and the original owner was a male - with a male hand, which is not good, as the Prism rifle will need a female hand (at least for me). So, I ask my sweetheart to position her hands EXACTLY as seen in the hard rip, when the player handles the gun - she will agree about this, especially if I promise shopping in the mall to her :D
So anywayz, I record what she is doin' with her handz, and then, hard-rip her hand movements from the movie. After this, I simply "fotosopp" her hands into the Prism rifle's original hard rip. And there - a female handling the Prism rifle!

If you have a somewhat good video camera, or a digital camera, which is capable of recording somewhat good quality footages, you can easily "overwrite" the original owner's hands in the weapon handling frames and hard rips, and modify it to your heart's content (wearing rings, wearing gloves, not wearing gloves, bleeding hands, holding a bar of chocolate in your hand while reloading etc.)

So you don't need the actual weapon for this, but still, recording real-life footages, you could easily modify the hands on that weapon with ease. But that's just my opinion.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

ETTiNGRiNDER wrote:It worked for id. Are yours all garish colors or such?
Nerf guns - even recolored, they'd still be pretty obviously shaped like nerf guns.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

wildweasel wrote:Nerf guns - even recolored, they'd still be pretty obviously shaped like nerf guns.
Yeah, for some reason they refuse all resemblence to real guns nowadays.

They got majorly Nerfed in later updates...
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Well, that's not stopping some people. :P
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Reactor wrote:So anywayz, I record what she is doin' with her handz, and then, hard-rip her hand movements from the movie. After this, I simply "fotosopp" her hands into the Prism rifle's original hard rip. And there - a female handling the Prism rifle!
I don't get it. Why do you call your penis a 'Prism rifle'? You sound like a strange couple.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

id used toy guns because back in the day it was ok to have realistic looking toy guns...seriously, when I was a kid i had 2 pretty realistic looking pistols, and a realistic looking uzi, with no orange tips, no garish colours. Nowadays youll be hard pushed to find any toy weapons that are either the right size or colour, or dont have stupid bright orange tips. I hunted for ages for my Punisher costume and I manged to get a decent-ish looking uzi (my toys being long gone), and the bloody thing cost me £7! £7 for a piece of poorly made plastic!!! I even managed to SCREW THE ORANGE CAP off the barrel!
Cardboard Marty

Post by Cardboard Marty »

I've been using photos of myself holding various AirSoft weapons for a couple of months using a DSLR to great effect. The hardest thing to do aside from masking them out is fitting them in specifically with Doom's style. Many time I find myself limiting colors and such so the rips don't look ridiculously out of place. Honestly, any toy guns and nerf guns work once you've made sure they fit in with the style of the environment and characters. Hell, colors and the like could always be edited after the fact. :P
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I wouldn't limit the colors, not one bit. I had enough of that paletting issue at Tristania3D.

If the real life graphics rips would REALLY look fugly, I'd simply prefer to choose another engine, or a port, which does not use any kind of palettes.

Return to “Resources”