3DLUT Doom Palette for Photoshop etc

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
torridgristle

Re: 3DLUT Doom Palette for Photoshop etc

Post by torridgristle »

Little update, I remember my old one being trash but this one's better.
compare.png
compare.png (18.17 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
Comparison of hidfan's 3DLUT which smoothly pulls colors toward the palette, and mine which looks more posterized and index-y. Situation for each I imagine.

Made it with IWLTBAP's free LUT generator. Here's an older version, the last time I tried a newer release it made the exact same files but now with advertisements underneath it.

To use it and make 3DLUTs for other palettes (Heretic, Alien Vendetta, Duke 3D, NES, etc) open up the program, click on the ? top right to set the size to 64, Generate a HALD which makes a 512px 16-bit PNG, in Photoshop or whatever change from 16-bit to 8-bit so you can index that with whatever palette you want and then convert it back to 8-bit rather than keeping it indexed, save a PNG, then use Convert to CUBE to turn it into a .cube format 3DLUT.
Attachments
DoomPal-RGB-Match-Photoshop.zip
(138.72 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Nash

Post by Nash »

torridgristle wrote:Little update, I remember my old one being trash but this one's better.
compare.png
Comparison of hidfan's 3DLUT which smoothly pulls colors toward the palette, and mine which looks more posterized and index-y. Situation for each I imagine.

Made it with IWLTBAP's free LUT generator. Here's an older version, the last time I tried a newer release it made the exact same files but now with advertisements underneath it.

To use it and make 3DLUTs for other palettes (Heretic, Alien Vendetta, Duke 3D, NES, etc) open up the program, click on the ? top right to set the size to 64, Generate a HALD which makes a 512px 16-bit PNG, in Photoshop or whatever change from 16-bit to 8-bit so you can index that with whatever palette you want and then convert it back to 8-bit rather than keeping it indexed, save a PNG, then use Convert to CUBE to turn it into a .cube format 3DLUT.

THANK YOU! I was literally going back to this thread a couple of weeks ago because I had to figure out how to make my own 3DLUTs. Saw that you haven't been online for a while so I thought I was SOL. Thanks for these updates and tips. :)
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Cool program, I wish it did 24bit ones. I've been making them by hand in CS5 (even drawing gradients with the pencil tool on occasion :x ).
This might not be helpful as it looks different to the others on here but I'll share it anyway. It's the result of reverse engineering the palette shader code and upping the size:
24bit LUT.png
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

The program does 24-bit and 48-bit, assuming you mean 24 bits per pixel. In Photoshop the bit depths are per channel so 8 bits per channel is 24 bits per pixel, or 32 bits per pixel if there's an alpha channel or it's CMYK, or higher if it's a multichannel project.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Interesting, all I can seem to get is a 512 x 512px LUT which, as far as I know can only produce 256 colours?

To be sure I just opened it's exported file and looked at the red channel- it only has 64 values.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

The 512px image is a 2D representation of a 3D cube of 64px, think of it like a cube made of voxels sliced into 1px thick sections down one axis and distributed flat. 64 possible values in 3 coordinates is 64^3 = 262144 possible combinations, same as 512*512. Can't have a 256 color 3D LUT, cube rooting it to get 3 dimensions whose possible combinations add up to 256 doesn't result in an integer, but a 1D LUT would be possible and is just a normal 256-color indexed bitmap with the palette being basically a lookup table and the 00-FF byte value being the 1 dimension.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Thanks Torrid Gristle, I realize I've had a bottleneck in my brain now. The way I've been picturing it meant that most colours were either repetitions or skipped by the look-up code. I must have been thinking in "post-palettization" terms and applying those rules backward to the unaffected LUT :?

It makes sense now why it's referred to as an 18bpp LUT, not 8bpp :lol:
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Update: 3 new paletting methods based on YCbCr, CIELuv with an adjustment to the distribution of hues to perceptually smooth it out, and Jzazbz. YCbCr looks like standard RGB but with better luminosity matching, Luv (Mod) looks good with skin and subtle colors, Jzazbz handles subtle colors and skin but not as well as Luv (Mod) and tries harder to match hues or saturation.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

torridgristle wrote:Jzazbz
Ah yes, my favorite music genre. :P

I briefly toyed with the idea of using a 24b->8b LUT for runtime color-matching, but the size is... ridiculous.

Seems like there ought to be a way to improve the software color matcher, though.

Return to “Resources”