ZKVN - Visual Novel Engine for ZDoom

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: ZKVN - Visual Novel Engine for ZDoom

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Hi ZombieKiller, I was very interested to try this ZKVN in order to see what's new from USDF et similae, because in the future I'm just planning to do an Ultima Underworld TC for Hexen using dialogues, bartering & RPG systems and I'm searching some more versatile programs for dialogues implementation.

BTW I must advice you that when I download the gdcc from the link, once when the file is downloaded I get this message:
Spoiler:
Now it's time to see ZKVN!
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

Ah, I guess that's because it has exe files in there. I can't really think of how I'd fix that though, I guess I could compress it in a format other than zip, like rar. That would only work if Chrome doesn't search through those files though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Why are you including the GDCC stuff inside the ZIP? Can't you just instruct users who wish to compile it to download GDCC by themselves?
DavidPH

Post by DavidPH »

I am always excited to see projects using GDCC getting mentioned, since I get to pretend to be relevant to the creation of such projects. :P

As far as distributing GDCC, just providing a link to the builds is possible, but I am uncertain of the etiquette in these matters.
The Zombie Killer

Nash wrote:Why are you including the GDCC stuff inside the ZIP? Can't you just instruct users who wish to compile it to download GDCC by themselves?
Yeah, I plan to do that for the next release, in order to trim down on filesize and to make sure people don't use outdated builds of GDCC.
The reason I included it in the first place was simply for user convenience.
DavidPH wrote:since I get to pretend to be relevant to the creation of such projects. :P
Well, you DID help me out with pretty much every problem I had with the project, so it's safe to say you were pretty relevant regardless :wink:
Lishy

Post by Lishy »

Woah... I know I joked about this not too long ago, but it's really a coincidence seeing this become a thing.

I'm actually a VN dev working on my own visualn ovel, When the Bells Toll, but it's being coded in Ren'Py.

Still, it's sweet to see this.
The Zombie Killer

ZKVN is now on GitHub!

If you wish to get early access to version 1.2, feel free to follow the guide at the bottom of the page to compile the source code.
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Just a bump: starred and watching your ZKVN inside GitHUB. Maybe I'll need it for future projects of mine, now it's time to try out your interesting engine.
Big C

Post by Big C »

The Zombie Killer

Big C wrote:
Any idea how a multiplayer visual novel would work? :P
Take a look at HDoom :p
Ozymandias81 wrote:Just a bump: starred and watching your ZKVN inside GitHUB. Maybe I'll need it for future projects of mine, now it's time to try out your interesting engine.
I'm really interested in anything people make with ZKVN, send me a PM if you ever make something, I'd love to check it out
Ozymandias81

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I'm really interested in anything people make with ZKVN, send me a PM if you ever make something, I'd love to check it out
ATM I'm not doing anything, just planning some stuff I'll need to do Ultima Underworld TC for Hexen. But I fear I'll need more than simpler ZSDF dialogues for ambitious projects like this. :-)
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Spoiler:
EDIT: Nevemind, I'm stupid, I was using the oldest version of GDCC, not the latest. :lol:

Return to “Resources”