monster design contest, spriting of entries has started

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Guardsoul

Re: monster design contest, win and your design gets sprited

Post by Guardsoul »

Here it is the bastard I told you in R667 forum, a quick sketch I made in 10 minutes so dont expect a proffesional picture.
http://i.imgur.com/Kmg7A5x.jpg

PS: Forgot to add it to the image, its height is more or less the same as a baron.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

looking good soul :)

guys ill try to get the submissions organized in the first post this weekend
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Good to see you finally posting some concepts of your own, Cappy J. :)

Anyway.

"It's alive! It's alive! Holy shit, it's alive. RUN!"

Oh look, it's a Tormentor Brute. Big stupid flying torso with a big stupid head. Flies around just like a caco. Likes to charge things with its horn. Doesn't see shit so it only reacts to sound.
But wait, dude's a damn tesla coil. Metal arm things make it so that electricity always surges around this mean mother. Don't think you can sneak around him just because he can't see you. ZZZZAP!
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

that seems like a very fun monster! :)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Head and maw could probably be smaller. It all started with "It's gotta have a face horn" and then just went from there.
Spine could be cybernetic to go with what Yholl was talking about, hooked up to the tesla coil.

Sloppy. But the idea's fun.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Put it a railattack and let's see where it goes! :D
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Corrupt humans are an underutilized resource. So...

Here we have a captured and converted chemist. An empty shell of a man, waiting to be utilized.
He grabs the vial from his pocket and douses himself with the contents. And then...

MULTI-CHOICE MADNESS!

Green vial.
Skin and muscles melt off. Skeleton crumples into the pile gore pile. Skeleton dissolves. Gore pile disappears into the floor... and reappears as a goo enemy. Spooky goo monster!

Orange vial.
Guy falls to his knees and grabs his head. Arms fall limp and the super evil, satanic scripture on his forehead starts to glow. Mouth hangs open, starts to emit light. KER-POOF! Goresploison (don't get too close) and then he turns into a lost soul or whatever.

Blue vial.
Guy hulks up, tattered clothing and armor still hanging off him. SO ANGRY! Fast and bulky melee enemy.

First guy on this page knows what's up.

Many, many possibilities. Unless you shoot him before he gets his vial out.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

please note that the first post mentions that zombies wont be allowed (as in human looking enemies, humanoids are fine of course), in cases like this however its fine because it turns into a monster
Last edited by raymoohawk on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I had this idea for a monster a while back called the FleshCrawler: it's basically a mutated human skull and spine that uses the ribs for legs. The idea was that they would emerge from a zombie when you killed it and then try to rip you to pieces. Can't really give a reference picture, but hopefully it's simplistic enough.
raymoohawk

Post by raymoohawk »

interesting and disturbing :)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Here's a good stash of monster concepts.
http://www.twitch.tv/floatharr/profile/past_broadcasts

For inspirational purposes if nothing else. :bang:
IMX

Post by IMX »

First of all:

-All of the previous concepts posted here are great. Love the Brute that Slax posted here first.
-I'm in complete disadvantage because I can't draw for shit

So let me be the one who takes the cheap route and pull some concepts out of my concept bag which consists of nothing but drawings from other people that I've downloaded over time, even before *really* getting into monster spriting. Apologies for taking this action but I have no choice but to roll in this way. I will post the pics via Imgur but when being clicked they should lead to the right source. They should merely serve as inspiration, I guess.

So far what I've read regarding rules is no zombies and no ethereal creatures, right?

-A flying demon/ball, sorta like this dude. His arms would look better if they formed an "X" while being open. Eriance did a monster with arms like that not too long ago (can't remember its name at this moment) but it's in the Realm667 repository if you want to look it up for reference. His attack would basically be the same as the Caco, a flying ball and a nasty melee chomp. Bonus points if his dead involves his "bubbles" popping in a nasty form.

-A thin, Imp-sized demon, very, very relentless and agile, almost like a goddamn cockroach, with a row of small spikes coming out of his spine. Almost humanoid, with a diamond-shaped head. No color of skin in particular. Has a small set of wings but doesn't fly at all, has no need to, anyway. Both concepts I'm posting have horns in his head, but I think the real concept as a whole in particular doesn't need them. XDeath would be a must, considering how small he is

(Note: There's this infamous urban legend in Mexico about an alien-ish creature called "Chupacabra" who constantly attacked farms by killing their goats and doing nothing but sucking literally all of their blood and leaving the rest of the corpse. I should admit being inspired partially by this :lol: )

Image Image

-We could use more skeletons in Doom. How about a medium/big-sized fellow with big, metallic arms (like the ones in the third pic) that has both melee and a purple projectile? With brown-colored remnants of what used to be ligaments, tendons and muscle? Think of it as an undead baron. His skull would be almost dog-shaped and should have a recognizable occult mark on its forehead

Image Image Image

-Doom's theme is "an unholy union of tech and hell", let's roll with that, then! A big, Doom Boss-sized brute demon, with exposed, metallic ribs and muscular goat legs. Let's avoid comparisons with the cyberdemon, so no horns and no eyes, with some teeth missing. Right arm is the one of a crab and the left one is actually a flamethrower! His back should expose his spine (which is also metallic).

Image Image

-Fatties! A dark-skinned, circular-shaped chomper thing with a dumb-looking face but with enough force to kill you. This could serve as a Pinky replacement, we don't have many of them. It should suffer from the Hank Hill Syndrome

This is all I can come up with at the moment, might post more concepts if I have the time
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Here's a little creation of mine (the image is quite flat because I'm not a good artist):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hzkdofmsi2sk ... r.jpg?dl=0
Don't know how the picture got flipped like that...

I imagine it being more of a quick but large enemy, that would attack by slashing players with claws or spitting fire at them.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

@idGamer
I shall name him... Bootsy. He's actually quite adorable.
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Slax wrote:@idGamer
I shall name him... Bootsy. He's actually quite adorable.
Yeah, I guess I can see that. :)
Also, I forgot to mention that the loincloth is optional; I just added it because his crotch looked too... empty. (that sounds so dirty :lol: )

Return to “Resources”