Syntax highlighting for Notepad++ and TextPad

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Nash

Re: Syntax highlighting for Notepad++ and TextPad

Post by Nash »

Blue Shadow wrote:Heads up! Support for ZSCRIPT has been added.
Was just about to ask about that! Thanks so much. :D

EDIT: I made up a .zc extension for my ZScripts as a temporary measure (it just forces Notepad++ to use C++ highlighting)... you chose the extension .zsc... pretty close. XD
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Nash wrote:EDIT: I made up a .zc extension for my ZScripts as a temporary measure (it just forces Notepad++ to use C++ highlighting)... you chose the extension .zsc... pretty close. XD
That extension is supported now.
YukiHerz
Global Moderator
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by YukiHerz »

Coincidentally yesterday I was moving things from decorate to ZScript, and I used the .zsc extension, this helps.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hey Blue, is now a good time to update the definiton? GZDoom 2.4 is almost out and is in feature-freeze mode, now's a good time to catch all the new keywords.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Actually, that's not the reason why I stopped updating. I've just grown distant from Doom-related stuff (though I'm slowly returning) due to me losing two months worth of work/files to a hard disk failure, among other things.

So unless someone is willing to help keep it alive, which is unlikely, consider this project dead for now.
Nash

Post by Nash »

That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that! I guess I can offer to update it every now and then... is it possible for you to let me write to your repo?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I've updated the ZScript stuff but I might've went overboard with what is considered suitable for highlighting. Feel free to review and/or remove whatever you feel is unsuitable...
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

That's a lot of stuff that has accumulated. Thanks for the addition.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I was trying to make my Notepad++ match my dark Visual Studio colour scheme and I was thinking it might be a good idea to separate the colours for the keywords (if, const, void etc) and the basic types like ThinkerIterator, F3DFloor etc. They're currently both the same colour.

Good idea or nah?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes, it makes sense to keep them separate/colored different.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I'm currently re-doing the ZScript configuration, so updates for that are going to stop for the time being.

Also, I'm considering dropping support for DECORATE. The main problem is that I don't know which functions work with DECORATE and which that don't, and even if I'm able to tell, there are hundreds of functions to go through. I'm not going to do that. Besides, I'd rather just focus my efforts on ZScript and ACS.

Nash wrote:I was trying to make my Notepad++ match my dark Visual Studio colour scheme
I'm curious, how does it look?
Nash

Post by Nash »

I fully agree and support your decision (on both issues, re dropping DECORATE and also redoing the ZScript highlighter). To be honest I didn't really feel too good about trying to help you with it - which is why I said in the other post, feel free to revert if you don't like it. :D

About dark Notepad++ skin: Not worth the effort. The program doesn't allow you to recolour the basic Windows elements (toolbars, scroll bars etc) so you're left with a half mish-mash of light and dark. It looks ugly. :/
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

My decision for redoing it was because I want to organize things better. Since I created this, ZScript has really grown. For instance, in the current configuration, all the functions are lumped up together, and there are a lot of them now. I want to separate them into groups by class/struct.

Your contribution was, and still is, welcomed. Having someone to back you up is nice. If I go MIA, for whatever reason, I'd like for these to be kept alive if possible.

Hopefully once I'm done, it will be a little easier to figure out where to put things when updating the configuration.

----------------------

Edit: The work on the ZScript syntax highlighter is done.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Looks so much better now! Thank you so much for doing this. :D
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

You're welcome.

And for the people who use TextPad, a ZScript syntax highlighter has been added. Although it's not tested, as I don't use TextPad and I don't have it installed.

Return to “Resources”