[Project] Quake II Resources

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Project] Quake II Resources

Post by leileilol »

Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

leileilol wrote:Quake2 vwep models for players have a skinned blaster added after 3.20 point release. Check pak2.pak models/weapons/g_blast. This is as official as it gets, 'never finished' my butt
Curious. I have now checked using both Slade and Wally. Yes, the file is there but it's a greyscale image:

I'm sure I updated to 3.20.

[edit] Hmmm... console says 3.24. Is that a community update or something that I may have installed?[/edit]
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It looks like the palette isn't being loaded correctly. Maybe import that into PSP and load Quake 2's palette with "maintain indexes"?

Also, I had a look at this pack last night and found that, while mostly true to the actual game, the weapon slots are...really, really weird, matching neither Quake 2 nor the Doom conventions (why are both shotguns on slot 2? both bullet-hoses on slot 3? grenades and the launcher on slot 4? etc).
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That's what I thought, but then I didn't do the extra bit of thinking about loading the Quake 2 palette. That does indeed show the correct colours.

Odd that both Slade and Wally showed the grey image though. I assume that the skin actually works in Quake2? (I don't know how to drop the blaster to see its pickup in Quake 2.) For anyone interested, here's the PCX from the PAK file.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

leileilol wrote:Quake2 vwep models for players have a skinned blaster added after 3.20 point release. Check pak2.pak models/weapons/g_blast. This is as official as it gets, 'never finished' my butt
The Cutting Room Floor wrote:There is an unused world model for the Blaster. This suggests that you had to pick it up at one time instead of always spawning with it when you start. However, the texturing is very early, suggesting the idea of picking it up was cut early on. However, the model was finished later on, for the 3.20 patch that added weapon models for characters in multiplayer.
I hadn't played Quake II for years before I started this project, so I was unaware I even had the 3.20 patch. Anyway, after importing the skin into Slade, the skin, as Enjay posted, is completely grey-scale with all palettes. When loaded into GZDoom it is still grey-scale. So instead, I'm using the skin Enjay edited, it's a huge improvement over the unfinished skin I was using.
wildweasel wrote:Also, I had a look at this pack last night and found that, while mostly true to the actual game, the weapon slots are...really, really weird, matching neither Quake 2 nor the Doom conventions (why are both shotguns on slot 2? both bullet-hoses on slot 3? grenades and the launcher on slot 4? etc).
The weapons are currently grouped by the ammo type they use. This is how I had them bound in Quake II and found it worked best for me. However, if you guys don't like it, I can change it easily.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It would make sense to have either Doom-like bindings or Quake II faithful ones. I'm not sure which I would prefer personally. I'm more familiar with Doom bindings but there isn't really an equivalent to the melee slot in Quake II and the grenade toss and launcher on top of the rocket launcher sort of muddies things further. Basically, the Quake II weapon slots don't match well with the principles behind the Doom slots methinks. On balance, the Quake II slots are probably better. The mod feels so close to Quake anyway that I am certainly reaching for the default quake binds when I want a particular weapon.

Glad the skin was of use BTW. If I get a bit of time, I can do brightmaps for the other glowing skins like I did for the BFG if you like. Real-life is about to get very busy again (like it pretty much has for the last year, except for short breaks - like the last week or so) but if there is no rush, there isn't actually too much work required to make the brightmaps (much less work than for a full sprite set, for example). But perhaps you'd rather be doing it yourself?
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Enjay wrote:It would make sense to have either Doom-like bindings or Quake II faithful ones.
I'll change the bindings to Quake II. Do you happen to know the standard weapon binding order? My user config file is edited with my custom bindings, and I don't remember what the Quake II originals are.

EDIT:
I found the default user config file and got the bindings from that.
Enjay wrote:Glad the skin was of use BTW. If I get a bit of time, I can do brightmaps for the other glowing skins like I did for the BFG if you like. Real-life is about to get very busy again (like it pretty much has for the last year, except for short breaks - like the last week or so) but if there is no rush, there isn't actually too much work required to make the brightmaps (much less work than for a full sprite set, for example). But perhaps you'd rather be doing it yourself?
Problem is, I don't know how to make brightmaps, and between school and work, I really don't have a lot of time. Most days I'm lucky if I have an hour to work on this. So if you would be willing, I'd be very happy to let you do the brightmaps. There is no rush, and you'll get credit for your contribution.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

Enjay wrote:[edit] Hmmm... console says 3.24. Is that a community update or something that I may have installed?[/edit]
KMQuake2 Unofficial Q2 patch, but that port doesn't add those blaster skins. They've been a part of the official Q2 patch for ages.
Enjay wrote: I assume that the skin actually works in Quake2?
Yes. "set vwep 1", and look at the other players holding the blaster. This was totally a big deal in 1998.
22alpha22 wrote:So instead, I'm using the skin Enjay edited, it's a huge improvement over the unfinished skin I was using.
There's plenty of other textures that require the manual loading of the Q2 palette.
Enjay wrote:Glad the skin was of use BTW. If I get a bit of time, I can do brightmaps for the other glowing skins like I did for the BFG if you like.
Q2 never had fullbright colors so that probably would play against 'accuracy'
22alpha22 wrote:quote="The Cutting Room Floor"
I actually wrote that bit of information, that article had errors, like claiming the DM spot model was unused, a blonde possible take-that-nukem head gib was unused (was used in a factory level, but hard to notice in red lighting), and similarly the blaster skin never finished, etc... Also of note there's unused stuff in Q2test that was recycled for Ground Zero, like IR goggles, Plasma Beam weaopn (was the original BFG, while the BFG10k was the original disruptor/disintegrator),
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

leileilol wrote:Q2 never had fullbright colors so that probably would play against 'accuracy'
I didn't realise that. So, the light on the arm with the BFG (for example) is actually not illuminated and goes dark in dark areas of a map?

Anyway, personally, I think that they make quite an improvement. It would be easy enough to include them but prevent them showing up for anyone who didn't want them.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Just wanted to let you guys know, I'm currently working on the powerups and they are being a royal pain in the ass. Problems are arising left and right, such as ZDoom's lack of powerup expiring sound options and others issues. I'm having to do somewhat hacky Decorate and ACS work to get Quake II behavior out the powerups and its taking awhile. Very frustrating. :x It's making my actor's coding more and more messy. Oh well, I just hope the end result is worth it.
Doomguy5th

Post by Doomguy5th »

-The Blaster when dropped, lacks a proper skin (id never finished the skin for Quake II as the Blaster isn't supposed to be a pickup)
#facepalm... Oh... Thanks for the notification! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Galaxy_Stranger

Post by Galaxy_Stranger »

This is a wonderful project - DON'T STOP!

My shipment of hand lotion is on its way as we speak!

I wonder if someone'll do the same with Quake resources. That would be awesome.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Galaxy_Stranger wrote:I wonder if someone'll do the same with Quake resources. That would be awesome.
They already have. http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37369
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Finally, version 0.18 is out! I didn't have a lot time this past week, which delayed this update longer then expected and those damn powerups gave me hell. I'm still not quite satisfied with them, but they should be usable and close enough in behavior to the Quake II versions they mimic to test properly. However my implementation of them is messy, and the player may be able to break them through normal gameplay. I'm not as experienced with Decorate or ACS as some of you guys, so if anyone can come up with a better way to implement these powerups, or just cleanup and improve what I've got, I'd be grateful.

Other changes include, fixing the grenade launcher, so that you no longer lose 5 grenades on selecting it if you have maximum ammo for it. I also removed all placeholder sprites and replaced them with TEXTURES referencing TNT1A0 which cut down on file size somewhat. (thanks to Nash for this suggestion) You may note I did not add the silencer with the other powerups. It is largely useless, and I haven't decided how to go about implementing it, so its on hold for now.

As for large fixes, such as the hyperblaster, chaingun, and the BFG10K. Those are also on hold for now. I want to get all the resources imported into GZDoom before I start major fixes and polishing to the package as a whole, that way I'll better idea how this is going to come together. I'll still do minor fixes here and there and any game breaking ones as I find them or you guys point them out.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

22alpha22 hasn't been around for a couple of months so can anyone who has looked into the code for this explain something to me? The weapon code seems to use a lot of inventory items and inventory-check jumps. My confusion comes from the fact that a lot of this seems to be doing things that is usually done with more traditional DECORATE code.

e.g. here's the shotgun code:
Spoiler:
So, what I'm wondering is, why is the code like this and what, if any, features/advantages does it allow? Thanks.

Return to “Resources”