[Project] Quake II Resources

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Enjay

Re: [Project] Quake II Resources

Post by Enjay »

Curious. It is probably something that could be easily fixed with a model editor that allows you to apply transformations to a model (e.g. Misfit 3D). It might even be possible to fix using a scaling factor of -1 in MODEDEF. It might also be worth comparing them to the HUD models in other mods, although there haven't been many for GZDoom. "Hunter's Moon" springs to mind.

However, before trying anything that might be considered a workaround, it might be worth reporting it as a bug just in case. You don't want to "fix" your mod only to find out that you were working around a bug and for that bug to be fixed later on thereby breaking your mod.

[edit] Typed before I read Nash's reply. [/edit]
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

Thanks guys, using -1 X scale worked perfectly.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Enjay - The thing is, I've been meaning to report it but I don't really know where the problem is coming from. It could just be the Blender export script that's messing things up... or not. I haven't been able to achieve consistent results when exporting HUD models. Sometimes it gets mirror flipped, sometimes the draw order gets messed up and polygons get drawn inside-out (this happens if the exported model is either too large or too close to the camera)...

tldr; too many variables to really pinpoint the exact problem, and since it doesn't bother me that much... I just settled with MODELDEF compensation. :/
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

If Gzdoom can't work with the definitive MD2s from Quake2 off the bat, it's not the MD2s. It does help if you apply your transforms before exporting, and id always followed the Right = Front axial for their meshes. Blender MD2 exporters often crap though and only seem written for a Nehe tutorial and not Quake2.
Reactor wrote:Well it's 2014 after all, and models DO look better than sprites
Not when the particular renderer can't make use of their normals, so models will appear 'flatter' than sprites by not having any shading happening beyond the ambient color. How ironic!!!
Reactor wrote:The sprites, while easy to made
lol no
Last edited by leileilol on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nash wrote:Enjay - The thing is, I've been meaning to report it but I don't really know where the problem is coming from. It could just be the Blender export script that's messing things up... or not. I haven't been able to achieve consistent results when exporting HUD models. Sometimes it gets mirror flipped, sometimes the draw order gets messed up and polygons get drawn inside-out (this happens if the exported model is either too large or too close to the camera)...

tldr; too many variables to really pinpoint the exact problem, and since it doesn't bother me that much... I just settled with MODELDEF compensation. :/
Obviously I don't know exactly what 22alpha22 was doing but, given that this is a Quake 2 model, chances are he's imported it without alteration in an editor and that it is pretty low poly. At least, perhaps, that might eliminate some of the variables. Personally, I haven't done anything with HUD models so I'll happily bow to your more in depth knowledge of things in that area though.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Right... I keep forgetting that these are models directly from Quake 2 without any alteration. In that case, there clearly is something wrong with the way GZDoom is rendering HUD models... :D
leileilol wrote:and id always followed the Right = Front axial for their meshes.
This is something that has always frustrated me (I always point my actor towards me as his "front", in both Max and Blender, and it always comes out wrong when exported for GZDoom usage) and it's good to know that this is indeed their convention. Good thing MODELDEF has AngleOffset.

Agreeing 10000x on what you said about the surface normals.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Quick update, I'm progressing at a fairly quick pace getting the weapons converted into models. I should have them all done by Monday as well as some screenshots and a new test release for you guys to give me some feedback on.
Reactor wrote:The sprites, while easy to made
The sprites are anything but easy to make. They are time consuming and tedious work and to be honest I'm glad everyone would prefer models to sprites. I can only imagine what a nightmare the monsters would be, average of 150+ frames at 16 angles. :shock: I don't think I will continue the sprite version when I completely finish the model version.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I was referring not strictly to monster sprites, but any kind of sprite. For monsters, of course, I'd prefer using a model-to-sprite converter. There are many objects, from which creating a model is next to impossible, because it's so painstakingly detailed (for instance, gothic furniture with floral patterned wrought iron parts). As for weapon HUDs, I also stick to sprites, I find it easier to record the screen, cut out the frames, and remove the shitcrap from them, so only the weapon remains. It's also easier to add Doomguy's own hands to these weapon HUDs that way.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Alright everyone, version 0.15 is out and the op updated. The main changes were getting rid of the sprites and replacing them with models. (which resulted in the file size going from 30 megabytes to just 2 :)) This over course brought its own issues. Much of the decorate had to be rewritten from scratch and some of the weapons, namely the Chaingun, Hyperblaster, and BFG10K, while usable, are far from finished. I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out the Chaingun's firing animations and still have to decided how best to create the BFG's ball.

If you guys have the time, please test out what I got so far, all feedback is appreciated.

Some screenshots showing the weapons in the id Tech 2 engine versus GZDoom's.
Spoiler:
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

hey they look and feel like the classic quake2 ;)
the few things i notice was the animation were odd or no smooth yet as i play didnt notice that much
the lazer from the pistol and the hyperblaster kind of feel way slow
the railgun when pick up have that constant ambient sound, maybe on purpose?
the damage of the railgun need to go up, more than 5 shot to kill the baron dont seem to fit
i guess is already know that the physic of the grenade and grenade launcher is no existent
the rocket may need also some speed

yet so far feel very well done :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, oooh, oooh [hops around exitedly] very nice. Very nice indeed.

Here's something you might like to have a look at. Load this on top of your file...
bfgbm.pk3
then go somewhere dark (e.g. the dark underground area towards the left near the start of MAP05 of Doom2) and type

summon alphabfg10k

at the console. This, as I'm sure you will know, will spawn your BFG actor - but (assuming your graphics card supports it) the blue bits should now be glowing. Pick it up and it should work for the HUD view too.

The brightmaps are a bit rough and ready (basically I just guessed at which bits were meant to glow) but I think it shows the principle. :)
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

The Railgun had a constant ambiant sound in Quake 2 (albeit not as noticeable as in Quake 3 Aréna), so I think that's alright.The Railgun does 50 health units damage, so it indeed must be stronger. In Quake 2, it takes 2 shots to finish off most of the monsters, so the Baron of Hell should fall after two shots.

The blaster's shots should be, however, quicker indeed.

As for grenade physics, there should be a way to import Quake 2's physics handling into GZDoom. Grenades behaviour was quite nice in Quake 2.
ledillman

Post by ledillman »

Nice work there! i'm lovin' this :) :) I actually always loved Quake 2 weapons and monsters.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Mav3rick wrote:the few things i notice was the animation were odd or no smooth yet as i play didnt notice that much
Most of the weapons are not finalized yet, there is still some issues to work out, such as GZDoom's hate of models using the same frame twice or more in a row.
Mav3rick wrote:the lazer from the pistol and the hyperblaster kind of feel way slow
I'll look into this, the projectile really wasn't fast in Quake II, but it might could use a little more speed.
Mav3rick wrote:the railgun when pick up have that constant ambient sound, maybe on purpose?
The Railgun and BFG10K both had a constant ambient noise in Quake II, although the BFG's isn't very noticeable.
Mav3rick wrote:the damage of the railgun need to go up, more than 5 shot to kill the baron dont seem to fit
As stated in the op under known issues, these weapons aren't balanced against doom's monsters nor will they be. They are all doing the exact amount of damage as they did in single player in Quake II. Unfortunately I don't have any Strogg ready yet, so demons will have to suffice for testing until then.
Mav3rick wrote:i guess is already know that the physic of the grenade and grenade launcher is no existent
Vanilla Quake II have little physics or bouncing to its grenades, I tried to get my grenades as close the their Quake II counterparts as possible.
Mav3rick wrote:the rocket may need also some speed
The rocket in Quake traveled very quickly and was probably over-powered, so in Quake II id made the rocket rather slow. While my lasers might be a tad too slow, I don't think the rocket is.
22alpha22

Post by 22alpha22 »

Minor update, the lasers, as a couple of you guys pointed out, did seem a little slow. They have been increased in speed and seem just right now. I've also corrected the actor sizes of several items to better match their corresponding models. Also, weapons can now always be picked up regardless if you have the weapon and maximum ammo that the weapon uses. This is how Quake II behaved, however Quake II let you have more than 1 of the same weapon, useful for sharing with other players, but I don't think Doom supports this.

I've implemented you're BFG 10K brightmaps Enjay, I hope you don't mind. I would make some brightmaps myself but I have no idea how to create them.

Larger fixes and improvements to the weapons will come with 0.2 update. Hopefully that will be out in a week or two.

Return to “Resources”