[Concepts] The Sometimes-Serious-Concept-Drawings Thread

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
abbuw

Re: [Concepts] The Sometimes-Serious-Concept-Drawings Thread

Post by abbuw »

Weapon ideas for my city thing.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

If you want a suggestion, i'd like to see those weapons modified. Futuristic or messy... Would be great either way.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, I'm shameless! Also, this thing:

Lemniscate Series, Model C - man-portable, selective-fire, automatic railgun. Has a 150-round drum mag or 45-round box mag and a six-stage fire selector (Off, On, Safe, Fire, Automatic, Burst). Also note the weird P90 thing in the lower right corner.

Basically, it's an assault rifle-type railgun, using the same basic design principles as the Lemniscate-A (a revolver), albeit with a much heftier battery and longer barrel to generate a much greater projectile velocity. It does, however, use the same bullets, making the Lemniscate-C a .30 caliber rifle. Battery's meant to provide enough power for each round to travel at least 800 to 1000 meters accurately, giving the Lemmi-C battle-rifle-grade firepower while its barrel axis (inline with the center of the stock and barely in line with the shooter's hand) allows the weapon to be reasonably controllable compared to similar conventional battle rifles and GPMGs (the weapon's nearly all-alloy construction does give it some serious weight, which probably helps too). The Lemniscate-C weighs 12 pounds, or 5.4 kilograms - 16 pounds/7.25 kilograms loaded with a 150-round drum or 13.2 pounds/6 kg with a 45-round box.

The bullets are, unless otherwise stated, 147-grain 7.62x51mm NATO rounds sans cartridges, composed of metal more conducive to railgun operation (mainly something influenced by magnets, as copper and lead are not magnetic).
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Incidentally I was drawing a railgun design.
New military railgun, flings slugs at nearly the speed of light, the possibilities are endless. Mainly used to disable tanks and the such with explosive slugs. Weighs about 65 pounds.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

abbuw wrote:Incidentally I was drawing a railgun design.
New military railgun, flings slugs at nearly the speed of light, the possibilities are endless. Mainly used to disable tanks and the such with explosive slugs. Weighs about 65 pounds.
Your design is a lot more feasible in the near future - while glass batteries may provide enough power in a short enough span of time to operate my design, I don't think capacitor technology will catch up for at least a couple of decades.

That said, the slugs need not be explosive, as current railguns give their projectiles enough velocity to at least equal the kind of damage an explosive slug would do with just kinetic energy alone. Also kind of defeats the point of such a railgun, which otherwise has the explicit advantage of having no explosive components, and therefore being safer to handle and operate.

I want a 30-pound fission or fusion reactor :(
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Coilguns/ gauss weapons rather than railguns are more feasible for handheld military use. Especially near future. Less wear on the weapon, less heat generated.

Of course, it's unlikely a coilgun could punch a hole clean through someone in armor without a crazy power source.

...Like death ray sized power source...

Also remember Newtons Third Law. A projected body travelling at the speed of near lightspeed will exert an equal and opposite reactive force upon the firer. (spoiler: Bye bye )

:edit for clarity, and physics:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

abbuw wrote:Incidentally I was drawing a railgun design.
Shoulder mounted, back battery and scope to zoom... Somehow reminds me of Akira's Laser Rifle. It's also Future weapon too. Looks very nice!
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

figured stuff "rarely" going on so edited this post almost same as what i have in doomworld

some dude
and some half
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Those folk look really interesting, least I could say.
Captain J wrote: Shoulder mounted, back battery and scope to zoom... Somehow reminds me of Akira's Laser Rifle. It's also Future weapon too. Looks very nice!
Just about every super huge energy weapon I draw is inspired by that laser rifle, heh.
TheRailgunner wrote: That said, the slugs need not be explosive, as current railguns give their projectiles enough velocity to at least equal the kind of damage an explosive slug would do with just kinetic energy alone. Also kind of defeats the point of such a railgun, which otherwise has the explicit advantage of having no explosive components, and therefore being safer to handle and operate.
Yeah but it sounds cool, and that's all that matters right?

Assorted ruffians, scoundrels, and hooligans.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

abbuw wrote:Just about every super huge energy weapon I draw is inspired by that laser rifle, heh.
I guess Akira taught all of us a lesson, eh? 80's Inspiration helps!
breadbagfly wrote:figured stuff "rarely" going on so edited this post almost same as what i have in doomworld
And sprite-fying those majestically scary dudes might be amazing. Believe me, they will! :D
Deii

Post by Deii »

I dun another PMG thing. It's just a really big and kind of impractical AS Val.

Suppressor removed (mostly for cleaning and shit, you''ll probably get nothing but headaches trying to fire it):
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

cant tell if spoilers or not but "player concept" and title in same, cus reasons

Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Dropping a little sketch I did a while ago...

Not sure if I'm going to use him in a project. Thinking of doing something Heretic related when I'm done with Ashes. But who knows :wink:
Spoiler:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Sounds very neat! But somehow medieval-theme on Post Apocalypse sounds not bad, just like the Fist of the North Star! And just sayin'. I can expect more project from you anyway.
Spoiler:
Forgot to post, but here are some Ashes-inspired characters!
breadbagfly

Post by breadbagfly »

figured mightaswell post somethin new then, especially that any mapping n such is being shat on again by lack of decent time lol

hairy fountain fish
Spoiler:

Return to “Resources”