[Concepts] The Sometimes-Serious-Concept-Drawings Thread

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Concepts] The Sometimes-Serious-Concept-Drawings Thread

Post by Oberron »

I've created a gun sketch in Paint, so this is a full-auto handgun, with a clip on top of the gun (Side view). It doesn't have a name yet.
Attachments
Sketch 1.jpg
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

That gun resembles some unique design. Now what we need for this gun is improvement.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Oberron wrote:I've created a gun sketch in Paint, so this is a full-auto handgun, with a clip on top of the gun (Side view). It doesn't have a name yet.
How in the world does that work?

Some guns. I drew three but the top one's the one I wanna talk about. It's a local made automatic rifle, chambered for 5.56/.223, takes STANAG magazines. It's a handy rifle, although it's less reliable than your average military rifle. The barrels are scavenged from existing .223 rifles, the available tooling isn't precise enough to create a decent barrel. Has an adjustable gas block, considered a standard feature in most of the craft rifles, since the craft made ammo tends to not be the the most reliable.
Oberron
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Oberron »

Also, how does it work? You press the magazine release button and it releases the magazine, and you insert a new one.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

It works just the same as existing Assault rifle, i guess?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Don't tell me, the next scene would be gushing robot tentacles out his arm like akira?
Deii

Post by Deii »

Big freakin' 20mm autocannon for big pseudo-mechas a la Evangelion from an alternate 1928. For those who care about how it would work, it's a short stroke piston action with a conventional double stack 30 round magazine. The charging handle is reciprocating and it does not have any sort of bolt hold open on an empty magazine. It's intended to be a general purpose weapon, and though it has a rifled barrel, it can use a few different ammo types (no minemgeschoss though).

Done in MS Paint.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Deii wrote:Big freakin' 20mm autocannon for big pseudo-mechas a la Evangelion from an alternate 1928. For those who care about how it would work, it's a short stroke piston action with a conventional double stack 30 round magazine. The charging handle is reciprocating and it does not have any sort of bolt hold open on an empty magazine. It's intended to be a general purpose weapon, and though it has a rifled barrel, it can use a few different ammo types (no minemgeschoss though).

Done in MS Paint.
20mm seems kinda small for something you're describing as an Evangelion-like pseudo-mecha - I assume it's nowhere near as large as one?
Deii

Post by Deii »

TheRailgunner wrote:
Deii wrote: [big bootleg G3]
20mm seems kinda small for something you're describing as an Evangelion-like pseudo-mecha - I assume it's nowhere near as large as one?
Nope, if I recall correctly an Evangelion is around 60 meters tall - the ones that would use this wouldn't pass 18-20 meters in height and would be somewhat similar to Muv-Luv's MiG-21 Balalaika in overall design and performance (minus being flight capable).
Spoiler:
I used the Evangelion-like bit just to signal the fact that they're actually giant flesh golems contained within armor that use appropriately sized weapons and are controlled by having a pilot psychically synchronize with them. Since they're going up against regular foes roughly on par with 1940s militaries, they're more than OP - specially considering the fact they're well armored and still manage to be agile enough to sprint like a human. Oh, and they can scream too.

...I like to call them baby vanjalions.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Spoiler: Shik-ka-PMMMF
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

So, this thing is a railgun revolver, mostly because shooty guns - the Lemniscate Series, Model "A":

It has eight spitzer rounds, a decently large glass battery in the center of the cylinder (glass batteries are, by far, shaping up to be more capable than previous designs of battery in just about every way, particularly charge transfer rate and potential user hazard - they may also have higher charge capacity, which would be preferable with regards to firing eight bullets accurately up to somewhere around 100 to 200 meters), and an inline trigger-barrel axis similar to that of the Vector/Kross submachine gun. It is reloaded via a break-open latch on the top released by a button on the lower right of the cylinder mount, as opposed to the swing-out cylinder employed by most modern revolvers - this is because the magazine's outer rim is too large to swing out comfortably, as well as removing the additional parts and potential open space around the cylinder and barrel assembly, allowing a more rigid construction that can withstand the stress of a railgun's operation. The mag holds an inner ring containing the bullets that rotates independently while the outer rim remains stationary.

The cocking lever is really more of a vestigiality - as the glass battery also rotates the cylinder after firing, its only function is to manually rotate in the event that, for whatever reason, there are empty spaces between rounds, and thus doesn't need to be engaged in order to fire immediately after reloading. It can, however, be used as an auditory cue (a signal that, well, you're about to shoot, for whatever reason).

I felt like including automatic fire as an option; while there isn't really a practical reason for it, it seems like something that could be easily achieved, more or less just programming or even something that could be incorporated into the basic circuitry itself as opposed to the significant amount of machinery it takes to create an automatic firearm.

Obviously, it wouldn't be much more powerful than contemporary revolvers and handguns (if at all), but I think such a design could realistically produced at least in the next ten to fifteen years (if not much sooner).
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Gotta, really gotta love the cylinder's patterns!
Deii

Post by Deii »

That's pretty good but the overall shape of the cylinder bugs me a little bit (the norm is that cylinders don't taper towards the projectile of the round they're containing, it seems) but I quite like the idea too.
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Deii wrote:That's pretty good but the overall shape of the cylinder bugs me a little bit (the norm is that cylinders don't taper towards the projectile of the round they're containing, it seems) but I quite like the idea too.
It's because the actual cylinder ends before the taper - the magazine containing the battery and projectiles is separate from the "cylinder", which is fixed to the frame of the weapon. The magazine itself is also fixed, as the only moving part is the bullet ring inside - think of it like a moon clip you leave in the gun when you load it. The cylinder is relatively short because it contains no casing or propellant apart from the centralized battery (relatively being the key word - spitzer rounds are generally longer - for example, a .308/7.62x51mm bullet is similar in length to a 9mm cartridge, bullet, casing, and all).

The taper is, for the most part, where the beginning of the barrel assembly is.

Return to “Resources”