Page 1 of 2

[Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 am
by Finalizer
Various things I've concocted. Use and abuse at your leisure.

MONSTERS
Spoiler:
WEAPONS
Spoiler:
MISC
Spoiler:

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 pm
by zrrion the insect
Man, that Paladin is awesome! I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it. The rest of your stuff looks pretty good too. I especially like the Blood Demon's leap sprites.

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 pm
by Jimmy
On the Gargoyle, I'm seeing the Wolf3D trooper in its face. Like, really vividly.

...Sorry. Have to say the Paladin is very impressive. Please keep it up! :D

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 am
by Gez
Finalizer wrote:Seriously, why the hell is a Cyborg Demon called the "Blood Demon," and not the one that actually resembles the name?
I blame Skulltag, Demon Eclipse, and KDIZD.
zrrion the insect wrote:I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it.
You'll use it with defiance?

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm
by Vader
As I said before; nice work on the Paladin! For some reason I really like the shield/GL combo.
I'm always quite overloaded with Doom-related work, but if you're stuck with getting the "normal" death done, feel free to give me a call and I'll try to give it a shot... although it may take while!

The leap-attack of the Blood Demon or whatever you want it to call also looks interesting. I always wanted to make proper sprites for the animation, but never got around actually doing it.
Btw, Gez is right about the origin of the name... In the early days of KDiZD we used the St Blood demon wich was just a stronger dark-red recolor of the normal Demon, but eventually Neoworm provided a new sprite-set and although it now looked like a cyber version of the Demon, we decided to stick with the original name.
In a similar move, we replaced the (pretty awful) sprites of the Mauler demon (originally found in the Monster Resource Wad) with the ones from the Blood Fiend from Demon Eclipse, but kept the name!

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:46 pm
by Finalizer
zrrion the insect wrote:Man, that Paladin is awesome! I'll defiantly find somewhere to use it. The rest of your stuff looks pretty good too. I especially like the Blood Demon's leap sprites.
Thanks. Had been thinking that a leap attack would be appropriate for the "upgraded" Demon, being a melee enemy and all.
Jimmy wrote:On the Gargoyle, I'm seeing the Wolf3D trooper in its face. Like, really vividly.
...Not sure how you're seeing that, but might just be me. Then again my Wolf3D-fu is quite weak.
Jimmy wrote:...Sorry. Have to say the Paladin is very impressive. Please keep it up! :D
Thanks~
Gez wrote:You'll use it with defiance?
Would anyone use it any other way?
Gez wrote:I blame Skulltag, Demon Eclipse, and KDIZD.
Vader wrote:Btw, Gez is right about the origin of the name... In the early days of KDiZD we used the St Blood demon wich was just a stronger dark-red recolor of the normal Demon, but eventually Neoworm provided a new sprite-set and although it now looked like a cyber version of the Demon, we decided to stick with the original name.
In a similar move, we replaced the (pretty awful) sprites of the Mauler demon (originally found in the Monster Resource Wad) with the ones from the Blood Fiend from Demon Eclipse, but kept the name!
~The more you know~

And the comment made me go dig up the old monster resource wad just to have a look at what came up back then... Man, the standards have changed, heh. Though I suppose the leap sprites make for a more sensible version of the Mauler Demon's ranged attack, in a way. Never cared for the BOGEYMAN'S COMIN' TO GET YOU attack of the original.
Vader wrote:As I said before; nice work on the Paladin! For some reason I really like the shield/GL combo.
I'm always quite overloaded with Doom-related work, but if you're stuck with getting the "normal" death done, feel free to give me a call and I'll try to give it a shot... although it may take while!
Yeah, the grenade launcher/shield thing actually worked out nicely. Weirdly intuitive combo.

I'll bang my head against the death anims some more, but if I give up, I'll just post whatever I have done in this thread and let you or anyone else who feels up to it have at it.

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am
by StrangeEnigma
The "Phantom" is just the original beta version of the Lost Soul from DOOM. You didn't even edit it.

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:38 am
by wildweasel
StrangeEnigma wrote:The "Phantom" is just the original beta version of the Lost Soul from DOOM. You didn't even edit it.
Having read his description of it, he doesn't claim it to be anything more than that.

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:51 am
by Finalizer
Even so, I've modified the description a bit to hopefully make it more clear that it's purely a behavior modification of the PR Lost Soul. Though now it has GLDefs and brightmaps, so there's that. I've also chucked in a bunch of random brightmaps I've generated for some other monsters.

Re: [Monsters] Things and whatnot

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:56 am
by Ethril
Finalizer wrote:Blood Demon leap attack
Alternately:
"Blood Demon hump attack"

(I'm sure it looks significantly more like a leap when actually in motion and not repeated like in the image.)

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:53 pm
by Finalizer
Ayyy, only a little over two years since I've updated this topic.

Added a Bolt-Action Rifle; based on the Doom alpha rifle sprites with a straight-pull bolt action added. It was inspired by the rifle from ZDCMP2, and my own desire for a centered, scope-less bolt-action rifle. Just don't ask me where the cartridges are ejected from, ehehe~

Could use a hand on crediting some stuff though - Bolt sourced from this sprite, sounds ripped from ZDCMP2; if anyone knows the original sources for the sprite and sounds, lemme know so I can update the credits.

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:33 am
by Finalizer
So I finally got around to finishing the Paladin's normal death animations, for anyone who still cares. Better late than never, I suppose. Special thanks to HorrorMovieGuy, whose bloodless Baron death sprites were handy for editing some of the frames. Also did a little fix on the Dark Imp one-armed attack animations; I forgot to add his spinal spikes to the rear-facing sprites. :oops:

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:08 pm
by Vader
Slight bump, but I wanted to say that I'm really happy with the 'normal' death of the Paladin... looks cool :)
I'm propably going to use this monster in a project of mine (with slight edits maybe), hope that's ok.

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 am
by Finalizer
Vader wrote:Slight bump, but I wanted to say that I'm really happy with the 'normal' death of the Paladin... looks cool :)
I'm propably going to use this monster in a project of mine (with slight edits maybe), hope that's ok.
By all means, I'm looking forward to seeing him show up in other projects. :D

Updates:

-Tweaked the Paladin's GLDefs slightly, and added some extra brightmaps for his normal death (not a huge deal, but may as well perfect the damn thing)
-Added Satyr leap/tackle/hump animations, and threw in David G's gib & alt death animations as well.
-Added Soul Harvester sans spikes. I wanted to distance him slightly from his Imp basis, and this makes him look a little lankier and more pathetic, which I find suiting for him. Includes updated GLDefs which also give him obnoxious glowing red eyes~
-Added ZSec gib animations. Only for the assault rifle variant atm, though the only thing that'd need to be done for the alts is to swap the weapon on the first frame. Hey Ghastly, I finally got around to doing it myself, heh.

Re: [Monsters/Weapon/Sprites] Things and whatnot

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:02 pm
by DoomKrakken
Finally, I found it! Must use that paladin in my mod! :D