The "commercial resources" rule discussion thread

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!

The "commercial resources" rule discussion thread

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm creating this thread to get some feedback for an idea regarding a total overhaul of the commercial resources rules, since I can't seem to enforce them at all without someone complaining.

One potential proposal for a complete rule rewrite:
Code: Select allExpand view
Please make sure of the following before posting your resource:
-- Do you own the copyright to the resource in question, i.e. did you create it from scratch?
-- Do you have permission from the creators of the resource on which yours is based?
-- Is the resource in question deemed Public Domain, Creative Commons, open-source or a similar fair-use license?
-- Has due credit been given to any and all people, groups, mod teams, or companies involved in the resource's creation?
-- Is the resource NOT easily obtainable from other sources, i.e. original data files, using freely available mod tools?

If you have answered "no" to any of the above three questions, then it is a safe bet that you probably should not post your resource, though a rare exception can be made if you ask a forum moderator first, depending on the circumstances.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: The "commercial resources" rule discussion thread

Postby Nash » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Points 1, 2 and 3 alone would make every asset ever in the entire Doom community unpostable...

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by Nash on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Blox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Code: Select allExpand view
-- Is the resource NOT easily obtainable from other sources, i.e. original data files, using freely available mod tools?

This is a tricky one, because while it's usually easy enough to get sprites from a bunch of old games, setting the offsets and all the funny fluff (like actually coloring the sprites from Might and Magic 6-8) usually isn't.

And so it boils down to the definition of "easily obtainable". :violin:
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Blox wrote:This is a tricky one, because while it's usually easy enough to get sprites from a bunch of old games, setting the offsets and all the funny fluff (like actually coloring the sprites from Might and Magic 6-8) usually isn't.

And so it boils down to the definition of "easily obtainable". :violin:

I figure that one's in place specifically for what you've mentioned (the M&M stuff Bouncy has posted), as well as other complicated things like the Quarantine stuff Zero Diamond posted not long ago. What it will probably do, I'd hope, is perhaps make folks think twice before putting up a ZIP of every texture from Duke 3D.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Ghastly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Are these new rules intended to prevent requests like "Can someone rip every weapon from *insert the latest AAA title*?"
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:06 pm

Ghastly_dragon wrote:Are these new rules intended to prevent requests like "Can someone rip every weapon from *insert the latest AAA title*?"

Hopefully it should do so in a way less confrontational than the current rules.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby DavidPH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 pm

wildweasel wrote:-- Did you ask permission from the creators of the resource on which yours is based?

Perhaps that should read, "Do you have..." as some licenses grant certain permissions without requiring express permission from the copyright holder.

[pedantic]Also, you can ask and be told no.[/pedantic]
DavidPH
Crazy Compiler Man

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:08 pm

DavidPH wrote:Perhaps that should read, "Do you have..." as some licenses grant certain permissions without requiring express permission from the copyright holder.

I've made this correction.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Enjay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm

While what Nash says is true I'd say that these rules are far more workable, enforceable and logical than the current rules especially the arbitrary 4 year rule.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Blox » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Well by those rules this is forbidden:
Because it's an edit of a hand from Hexen, which I naturally do not own the copyright on - and I didn't ask for permission either.
And this can't be used because it's based on graphics ID Software owns, and I didn't ask for permission from ID, Minigunner nor some Anon that edited it in the first place.
nope
can't have this either
or this
or this!
no
go away we can't have anything here it's over
Last edited by Blox on Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blox
I am Laziness Incarnate!

Postby Gez » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Enjay wrote:While what Nash says is true I'd say that these rules are far more workable, enforceable and logical than the current rules especially the arbitrary 4 year rule.

I'd just ban anyone who complains about the arbitrariness of the 4 year term. That'd solve the problem too. :P
Gez

Postby Ghastly » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Blox wrote:Well by those rules this is forbidden
This is why there is discussion on these rule changes. Figure out how to word it so we can keep the original stuff coming out, while stopping the pure game rips.

Also, I'd spoiler tag that stuff. Huge wall of images. :P
Ghastly
Rather ghastly
Spotlight Team

Postby wildweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:40 pm

Blox wrote:Well by those rules this is forbidden:
And this can't be used because it's based on graphics ID Software owns, and I didn't ask for permission from ID, Minigunner nor some Anon that edited it in the first place.

I seem to recall Doom's own license agreement - or perhaps it was something Todd H. had said - says that you can use IWAD resources for mods as long as the mods are intended solely for that IWAD.
nope

Based on a HacX graphic, and it is certainly possible you could ask the current HacX projecteers for permission.
go away we can't have anything here it's over

Same goes for this, as it is based on a Scuba Steve graphic from Urban Brawl, which you could certainly ask him about.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby GooberMan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 pm

Blox wrote:go away we can't have anything here it's over

The Doom community was founded by people making original work, and you're complaining that you can't use recycled resources from other copyrighted works?

On the other hand, let's start talking "Fair Use." America and Australia at the very least have a bunch of fair use laws that you can feasibly release modifications of existing artwork under. You'll be in trouble if the copyright holder demands you cease your work (and it will generally be a cease and desist before you get sued). I'm no law expert and I haven't read the relevant laws. The new suggested rules seem to stick to copyright law fairly well, but you'll want to check up on fair use to see if you can get away with using modified resources.
GooberMan
Best taken in small quantities

Postby esselfortium » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Blox wrote:go away we can't have anything here it's over

So the community is over because you'd have to stop using other peoples' shit without their permission? Are you joking?
esselfortium

Next

Return to Resources