Jimmyfonts!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Jimmyfonts!

Post by Tapwave »

Gez wrote:FONTDEFS is not needed for FON1/FON2/BMF fonts, which are identified by their lump name.
Hm, that's strange. I tried doing it without a definition and just calling it in SBARINFO, but it says the font is not defined.
/edit scratch that, I found out that I need to put it in the source directory of the PK3 and not /graphics.
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Gutawer wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrpd73zxf29nb ... 3.pk3?dl=0

Figured I'd do something with the Unreal font, so I decided to recreate Unreal's Translator in GZDoom. I'll probably put something so the message can be changed based on the players location, just like Unreal does it, but for now I'm just going to leave it here since it's not much more than just a proof-of-concept type thing. To test it, use "SUMMON TRANSLATOR" (it uses an MD3 model so you won't see it in Software) and use the activate button to toggle the display on and off. The text is a bit squashed compared to the original font, this is just due to the use of SetHudSize to control the text wrapping and all that.
@Gutawer - I really like how you implemented the Unreal Translator in Doom. Nicely done :) I was wondering if I could use the 3D Model you have. I was thinking of including it in Temple of the Lizard Men 4. I think it would look really cool.

-Alando1
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

I can't exactly stop you, since Epic Games made that model, not me lol. But yeah, feel free to, I'd appreciate credit for ripping the model and converting it to MD3, though (it took me about an evening to get it done since I've never done any model related stuff before, heh).
Alando1

Post by Alando1 »

Thank you, Gutawer. I will certainly give you credit :)

-Alando1
Zan

Post by Zan »

So.... how exactly do you make a font? ;s
I still don't get it.
First, I draw the letters and symbols, right. But what size should they be? What format? In which folder of the .pk3 do I put them? And how do I define them?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zan wrote:So.... how exactly do you make a font? ;s
I still don't get it.
First, I draw the letters and symbols, right. But what size should they be? What format? In which folder of the .pk3 do I put them? And how do I define them?
They can be almost any size you want them to be (well, within reason; I recall a typical "small" Doom font is only about 8 pixels tall, and the Big fonts are 16 to 24 pixels tall). There are numerous formats they can be in, too; the default Doom message font (the STCFN*** lumps in DOOM.WAD) is actually a hundred or so individual images in the Doom graphic format (they can also be PNG files, which can be easily produced with any image editor). But ZDoom also supports fonts in specially compiled formats like FON2, which is produced using ImageTool but allows you to make a font as a single font sheet image instead of hundreds of tiny ones.

There might be tutorials around here for how those all work, but if you have further questions, feel free to start a thread in Editing, or ask in the "How Do I?" thread.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Will do, thanks for the tip. From what I reckon, it's okay to just add my font letter by letter in .png, and I suppose I have to dump them in the graphics/ folder. Just need to find out how to define them in fontdef.txt
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

[wiki]FONTDEFS[/wiki] is surprisingly easy; you are literally just pairing characters to lump names.

Code: Select all

AWEXOMEFONT98
{
   x SCHMO099
}
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

And don't forget about FONTDEFS's template functionality - even easier:

Code: Select all

FONTNAME
   {
       Template CFONT%03d
   }
Zan

Post by Zan »

I did what wiki gave as example for numbers, and it worked.
However, I can't seem to be able to replace the letter fonts... Really can't find any step by step tutorial.

I have made each letter into a .png file, named it correspondingly (SCHMO065 ... SCHMO090), and dumped them in the graphics/ pk3 folder, as I did with the numbers (via SLADE).

Then I added the code like this in fontdef.txt:
Spoiler:
According to Wiki, DBIGFONT should replace DOOM's menu font, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

How exactly do I tell the game to use my font instead?

Also, how do you make the cursor thing? You just write CURSOR in the .txt and... ugh... on Wiki there's just the word, no example on the full code it would be involved into.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

The menu stuff is graphic-based. You need to replace the graphics themselves to change them.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Tapwave wrote:The menu stuff is graphic-based. You need to replace the graphics themselves to change them.
Hmm, isn't there a way to tell the game to use a different font for it instead?
I kinda don't want to mess around with the iwad.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Just put in your own graphics with the same names as the original lumps. In the PWAD, not the IWAD.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Or if you want it to use actual text instead of images, you might look into redefining the main menu with [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki]...but take care to ONLY change those menus that actually need it, and do not alter the deeper settings menus as this can cause problems.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Just put in your own graphics with the same names as the original lumps. In the PWAD, not the IWAD.
I found the DBIGFONT in freedoom's wad, and it's indeed a graphic with all the letters/numbers/symbols drawn in a chain with some 1 pixel lines in between.
So I just did the same, named my file DBIGFONT but when I put it in the wad, it's seen as Graphic (PNG), whereas it should be seen as Font (Big).
After an eon of searching, I figured out I can't just put a big .png, and that I have to add a different file type (no idea what extension, though).

I tried using Image Tool*, but it does nothing, I click on the exe, some console window pops up for a second and vanishes. And then nothing happens, it's not even in processes.

Then I used Spidey's ZDoom Font Generator, but that one requires me to have my font installed in my computer. The only way I can do that is through some tiresome vector conversions, which ended up fucking my letter's color palette (I don't want a monochrome font, I want to use a drawn image-based font).

So after half a day of searching, I'm still at 0. Anyone has any idea left?
Last edited by Zan on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Resources”