Custom Texture Thread.

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
osjclatchford

Re: Custom Texture Thread.

Post by osjclatchford »

returned to this after quite some time.
When playing tnt I usually use an edit of the heretic/hexen grey cloud sky (no montains and vertical tile) instead of tnt's actual sky1 (i'm a zdoom engine user who does not like the "stretch-short-skies" setting)

however an idea occurred to me why not reinstate the mountains and attempt a recolour of said skies to match the original tnt day sky:
sky0a.png
also did this dark variant (clouds based on the original d2 sky) which I use on map 5, the hangar as I've always found the bright sky on that map odd when the outdoors section of the map itself is so dark:
sky1_dark.png
please note that the over tiley nature of these graphics seems much less apparent in game (especially if you make the clouds scroll-animate behind the mountains...)

figured these might amuse or be of use to someone so share and share alike!
its something i meant to do a long time ago but kept forgetting to come back to. reasonably happy with the results.
if nothing more (those who don't need taller skies due to engine or stretch setting or whatever) with scroll, it potentially adds a bit of dynamism to an otherwise static sky...

*edit*
also rejigged this sky from THT: threnody by Mechadon to fit in with tnt maps:
SKYSTAR1.png
as you can see I've re-positioned bits and added the starry sky below to prevent vertical over-tiling on tall maps, like map16 deepest reaches (think of the large cliff bit just before the red cave/maze bit that leads to the yellow key)
also I've used a pic of NGC 1232 (obviously resized and recoloured to doom palette) which it seems was very likely the original source galaxy for the one on the old image...
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

after some more gaming through evilution today I decided to do the starry sky again. something about the galaxy seemed off.
the nebula is great but the form of that galaxy seemed a little jarring... (call it nostalgia?)

so I did a new version with a heavily edited galaxy of the original artwork from team tnt...
SKYSTAR1.png
I'm rather pleased with it.
SKY2.png
I did another version with smaller celestial phenomena because variety is nice...
Last edited by osjclatchford on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Nice work with these :)
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Thanks dynamo. I've not done anything doom related for what seems like an age nowadays. But these skies are something I recently felt I really needed to come back to in hindsight.
I came to this decision when I went to play some evilution with major-crisis a couple of days back. All my other tall/tileable sky texture packs for iwads are mostly faithful to the originals where at all possible (tudoom, d2 and plutonia) but untill now my tnt sky pack had some quite utterly anomalous skies that had no business being in the pack at all to be honest.
In truth it's only because I had been unable to do truly faithful skies for tnt part one and two untill now. (As for part three, tnt's red sky tiles beautifully as it is, so I've intentionally left that as is.)

*edit*
OK I'm still not quite 100% happy with sky1 so I've made this:
sky0a.png
this is the final(?) version of tnt sky1 I think I'm likely to do.
its obviously based on the tnt hellsky but this time I feel I got the colour match for tnt's sky 1 spot on. the other one I did was too dark, over contrasty and in general the colours did not blend as well...
with this I replaced each colour one at a time in mspaint as I kept getting it wrong in slade... although it looks a bit over-tiley here it is in fact ok when viewed in-game behind the mountains.
Also I think that due to it being based on the tnt hellsky it blends in not just in colour but also in form.

*edit2!*
decided to play a bit more with skies in the doom palette today.
did some red stuff and some pink skies (inspired by quake).
I put it all on this sheet with my brown and grey skies so they're all together... (didn't bother to put the tht ones i did over the few posts above on it cos, you know, they're above and you can find them there... :roll: )

Oh and I should add that as far as I'm concerned as far as permission of use; yes they're all ok to be used in whatever project you choose! please do!
Last edited by osjclatchford on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

not sure whether you can post other peoples content here (if so, delete it)

but HIDFAN and MRROCKET just the best textures ive seen to date. d3retro. check it out.

further in the forum is a version with included brightmaps too and theyre quite amazing.

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... -for-doom/
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

@osjclatchford
Those red clouds are gorgeous. I think I'll try something with those after work. Might be perfect for a seaside-sunset-map.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yes. Must mention that the big fluffy force-perspective clouds texture in red and pink originally come from mechadon as well. Forgot to say that above. They were his grey/brown/orange sky from tht; threnody...
rabbitslayer

Post by rabbitslayer »

Radar texture I ripped from Deus EX Not in doom pallette
Attachments
Radar.png
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

My friend rabbi vole will play the solooo
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

I made these for Main UAC Hangar but i think it will contribute to everyone else who wants to use them:
Clay

Post by Clay »

Some wood fences I mocked up. Ctrl+Click for full size PNG's (512 height)

Image Image
Jared Deberjerak

Post by Jared Deberjerak »

Jared Deberjerak wrote:Some weird boxes I made using HL1 textures as a base-
Wasn't really satisfied with this so I went back and redid it
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I think the base is the stock Doom water texture.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

It's been a long time since I last posted in this thread. Anyway, truecolour versions of my "freevilution" textures and a few others:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

And the bumpmap for RROCK18 and DOGRMSC.
Sgt.headcrab

Post by Sgt.headcrab »

I made this from a Bob Ross screencap that a friend posted for fun, it's not that great but meh.

Return to “Resources”