Custom Texture Thread.

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
abbuw

Re: Custom Texture Thread.

Post by abbuw »

osjclatchford wrote:thanks! permanoob did a stonking remix of it (because he's nice like that)thats even smoother.making mine obsolete. then he went and told me how to do such things in gimp and the result was the new one above! I felt it's closer to the original d2 rsky2 texture more in form as well as colour...

heres the permanoob remix... so smooth! :wub: :
aint it great?
That's the good stuff, really dig how those colours pair.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Yeah I'm totally in Love with that sky texture and have been recolouring and using it as dark sky variants for every doom sky I can think of. I like the sky to match how light or dark the map is so, for example TNT's map 21's outside area is pretty dark so instead of the bright red sky I use the original red version of the above sky from mechadons big box o skies pack. I feel it makes more sense visually and it's an excuse for more varied textures without totally breaking the theme of the mapset. I mean, it's still red right? Just darker. To match the map. This is also true of map 5 of tnt as well. As you may or may not know, In major crisis I've gone and created dedicated sky add-ons for doom doom2 tnt and Plutonia. The original idea for these was to fix short sky tiling issues in zdoom engine without using ugly engine sky stretching (not really an issue in gzdoom though but I like backwards compatibility and actually prefer zdoom engine so...meh) but I've since expanded on it to include not only standard but also darker variants of most skies (and any mountains etc) for those maps that are darker and therefore look a little odd with really bright skies... It's just a way of adding a bit more life to those old maps we know so well without changing too much to make it visually jarring. Quite a tricky line to walk. Easy to go too far. Great if you get it right though... :wink:

*edit*
at it again. thanks to permanoob ive learnt to do some nice effects and recolours by porting colourschemes from one graphic into another to theme the sky textures with much less effort.
so time to re-assess those tnt 'episode one' skies methinks :D

standard:
sky0a_.png
dark version (intended for map05):
sky1_dark.png
*edit2*
oh and a new version of this'un for doom2 'episode1' sky:
doom2_sky1_new.PNG
feel free to use of course
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

decided to go back over doom1's episode 3's sky. adding an animated effect to the volcanic glow:
sky6.png
I know its a bit copy/pastey but that's only so it can fit over textures like this:
sky3_a.png
:wink:
I didn't bother animating the lower two volcanic vents on the texture as on most maps these would be well hidden by the architecture of episode three's maps anyhow...
Yatte_Mimashou

Post by Yatte_Mimashou »

Hey osjclatchford can I use that brown sky in my map?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

That's what it's here for! Please do :D
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

TITLEPIC.png
TITLEPIC.png (26.46 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Here's an edit of the Turrican title screen to work as a TITLEPIC. It's in the Doom palette, and the proper 320x200 resolution. I had to remove the "TURRICAN" text and do significant editing to the character to make him into Doomguy, so I feel that enough work has gone into this to make it worthy of sharing. Feel free to use it for anything you want, credit is appreciated but not necessary.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

PermaNoob wrote: Here's an edit of the Turrican title screen to work as a TITLEPIC. It's in the Doom palette, and the proper 320x200 resolution. I had to remove the "TURRICAN" text and do significant editing to the character to make him into Doomguy, so I feel that enough work has gone into this to make it worthy of sharing. Feel free to use it for anything you want, credit is appreciated but not necessary.
HOLY SHIT THIS IS AMAZING
I'll definitely be using this at some point, credit will be given of course :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Maaaaan that's so sweet and flawless. Yet Retrospective! And am i expecting Turrican Doom mod? Because i already am-
Clay

Post by Clay »

As per PermaNoob's request, I am posting my edit of the TITLEPIC and releasing him of any need to credit me. Enjoy all.
pride_titlepic.png
pride_titlepic.png (73.58 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

Made with an antique image editing program that only saves in obsolete formats. Also used SLADE to save them in the proper Doom palette because the standard DeluxePaint II Enhanced palette isn't the same thing as the standard DeluxePaint palette or whatever old games used.

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

abbuw wrote:Also used SLADE to save them in the proper Doom palette because the standard DeluxePaint II Enhanced palette isn't the same thing as the standard DeluxePaint palette or whatever old games used.
DPaint can use different palettes. The only problem with doing so is that, because the program itself runs using whichever palette is loaded, the menus (etc) might change colour (the menu background, for example, uses the last colour in the pallette). This can mean menus that are hard to read.

The Doom palette ends up with the program having pink menus.

Most of the other Doom games end up with more normal looking menus because their final palette entry is white.

Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Fancy some brix? :)

Oh yeah and some metal :rock:
(all palleted for Doom)
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks for these :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Haven't seen you around and making stuff for a long time Nmn.

Those textures are nice. I don't suppose you have un-paletted versions of the brick/stone ones do you? The Doom palette has obviously limited their colours a bit.
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Missed you too, Enjay :wub:
No, I usually pallette them upon exporting from PSD to BMP/PNG by stylistic choice, I like them more cohesive that way and because I usually make stuff for software renderer / Pallette tonemap mode :(
Just apply one of them gradient map filters in PS, they'll be variations in a jiffy.

Return to “Resources”