Custom Texture Thread.

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: Custom Texture Thread.

Post by Captain J »

Airos wrote:I'm (edit: still) not particularly pleased with the keyboard (edit: but it's better than it was. I should try to change the windows key to a modern UAC logo, and maybe adjust a few spots).

I dunno. Overall I don't feel particularly happy with the results so far, so I may end up either digging through and editing someone else's monitors, or else just revert the keyboard area to vanilla. Granted, it's a whole lotta work for not a lot of return when scaled back to vanilla size.

Image edit2: Image The Doom palette does bad things to this.
Downsizing the small graphic and convert it into doom palette is not going to help anything to make it better, as long you know how to edit manually.

But that vanilla keyboard texture is doing a good job, though!
Airos
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Airos »

Captain J wrote:Downsizing the small graphic and convert it into doom palette is not going to help anything to make it better, as long you know how to edit manually.

But that vanilla keyboard texture is doing a good job, though!
I think you may be reading my intentions backwards. I'm not shrinking and palletizing the image to "make it better". I'm editing at 6x scale to see what I'm doing, and to try to preserve as many details as possible before returning to either 2x or 1x the original scale. I shrunk those two images above to check on my progress, not to "fix" anything.

And, no, I expect I do not know how to "edit manually", because I have very limited experience with Photoshop and Gimp, (and the only reason I have even a vague idea of which tools do what is because of following guides such as this and this to make maps for Dungeons and Dragons).

In conclusion, I don't understand what you mean regarding "that vanilla keyboard texture". If you mean in the animated gif, that's 100% Photoshop resampling with the "nearest neighbor" setting, so the only reason it would be doing a good job is because it is the vanilla keyboard.

I appreciate the feedback. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, in light of my frustration at the quality of the keyboard, I've been focusing on the element I am happy with - the screen. 256px, truecolor pngs for all your giant monitor needs, (or can be scaled down to 128 for your moderately large monitor needs).

Image Image
Image Image

Credits - id (screen glare) - pixabay (CC0 images of space) - dafont/Joiro Hatagaya (Freeware 8Bit Wonder font)

GIFs
Spoiler:
Doominer441

Post by Doominer441 »

DrDoctor has a console texture with a very nice looking vanilla-style keyboard, IIRC, on page 2.
Airos

Post by Airos »

Doominer441 wrote:DrDoctor has a console texture with a very nice looking vanilla-style keyboard, IIRC, on page 2.
Hey, that does look nice. Thanks for the tip.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Airos wrote:I think you may be reading my intentions backwards. I'm not shrinking and palletizing the image to "make it better". I'm editing at 6x scale to see what I'm doing, and to try to preserve as many details as possible before returning to either 2x or 1x the original scale. I shrunk those two images above to check on my progress, not to "fix" anything.
No, i really understood what you're saying. But still it might look pretty bad in doom size.
And, no, I expect I do not know how to "edit manually", because I have very limited experience with Photoshop and Gimp.
Well i see. Hope you can get any better!
In conclusion, I don't understand what you mean regarding "that vanilla keyboard texture". If you mean in the animated gif, that's 100% Photoshop resampling with the "nearest neighbor" setting, so the only reason it would be doing a good job is because it is the vanilla keyboard.
I meant the vanilla, original, classic doom keyboard texture, the texture that you took from it. Vanilla means mostly original, unedited game and its materials. Hope it makes things clear!
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I feel like, in this day and age, y'all should be animating and brightmapping your computer screens...
Airos

Post by Airos »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:I feel like, in this day and age, y'all should be animating and brightmapping your computer screens...
I actually hope to be able to do that, (you can see my first efforts at animation in the spoilers above). Are there any good tutorials for making brightmaps that I should follow (I'm familiar with the basic principal of "white glows, black does not" (and yes, I know how both google and the forum search function work if one tutorial is just as good as any other :P))? I've only been holding off on figuring out how to make brightmaps because I haven't really felt like I've made a "final" screen just yet. I'm avoiding having to edit two images in tandem.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I was doing a short experiment to see which original Doom/Doom 2 textures could be replaced with which Doom 64 textures, and noticed that not a single one of Doom 64's switches is smaller than 32x32, meaning none of them can comfortably replace SW4_0/SW4_1, which is 24x24 pixels. So I hacked these together to fit. Some manual pixeling was needed to make it not look like broiled shite.

Credits to Midway, and Cage for inspiration.
Attachments
SWXSCB.png
SWXSCB.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
SWXSCA.png
SWXSCA.png (1.36 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Still got some vanilla doom vibe, though. But at least the color's working just right!
Gez

Post by Gez »

wildweasel wrote:I was doing a short experiment to see which original Doom/Doom 2 textures could be replaced with which Doom 64 textures, and noticed that not a single one of Doom 64's switches is smaller than 32x32
Switches in Doom 64 are kind of weird. They're basically composited on-the-fly.
Kaiser's Doom 64 Tech Bible wrote:Doom 64 also uses bit flags on how switches are represented. Line flags 0x2000, 0x4000, 0x8000 and 0x10000 are used for switches. In Doom 64, switches are shown as 32x32 boxes that are drawn on top of either the top, middle or lower part of the linedef. The textures that the switches use are based on the switch flag, and where the texture is set on the sidedef. All names for textures used as switch boxes must begin with the SWX prefix.
The following table explains the different combinations and results for switches. 'Where drawn' means where the 32x32 box is drawn on the linedef and 'texture set' is where on the sidedef the switch expects to look up the switch texture. 'Bit' is what flags were set. The switch is also affected if the linedef is two-sided or not.

Code: Select all

╔═══════════════════════════╤═══════════╤═════════════╤═════════════╗
║ Bits Set                  │ Two-Sided │ Where Drawn │ Texture Set ║
╟───────────────────────────┼───────────┼─────────────┼─────────────╢
║ 0x2000 + 0x10000          │ Yes       │ Bottom      │ Top         ║
║ 0x2000 + 0x8000 + 0x10000 │ No        │ Middle      │ Top         ║
║ 0x4000 + 0x8000           │ Yes       │ Top         │ Bottom      ║
║ 0x4000 + 0x8000 + 0x10000 │ No        │ Middle      │ Bottom      ║
║ 0x2000 + 0x4000 + 0x10000 │ Yes       │ Bottom      │ Middle      ║
║ 0x2000 + 0x4000 + 0x8000  │ Yes       │ Top         │ Middle      ║
╚═══════════════════════════╧═══════════╧═════════════╧═════════════╝
So for example, the blue key switch on MAP01: Staging Area is made of upper texture SWXSAA, middle texture SPACEAM, and it's single sided with switch masks 1 (0x2000) and 3 (0x8000) and the switch check height flag (0x10000). That's the second combination in the table, and indeed what happens is that SWXSAA gets drawn over SPACEAM.

Because this composition is made-on-the fly, that switch textures are standardized to 32x32 is certainly not coincidental. I haven't checked the code but I wouldn't be surprised if it simply wasn't able to handle correctly a different switch size.
Beetow Brode
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Beetow Brode »

Some cartoony looking garbage that I made a while back.
Attachments
Yep cartoony..
Yep cartoony..
DURR.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
Talon1024

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

8-row versions of the Freetonia BRICK, BRICK1, BRICK2, BRBRICK, BRBRICK2, MOSSBRIK, and BROCK2+alternative textures, as requested by Jimmy:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Also, truecolour versions of the evenly spaced Freetonia BRICK and MOSSBRIK textures:
ImageImage
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Wunderbar. Thank you so much! :D
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Airos wrote:I actually hope to be able to do that, (you can see my first efforts at animation in the spoilers above). Are there any good tutorials for making brightmaps that I should follow (I'm familiar with the basic principal of "white glows, black does not" (and yes, I know how both google and the forum search function work if one tutorial is just as good as any other :P))? I've only been holding off on figuring out how to make brightmaps because I haven't really felt like I've made a "final" screen just yet. I'm avoiding having to edit two images in tandem.
It's very straightforward, if you just look at the wiki. You just need to link your textures with a brightmap image with a brightmap definition. I suggest you make a single brightmap for all the frames, with everything but the screen black and then add a 1 or 2 px wide border to make it glow, then make the black of the screen on the frames a shade lighter than black, so it looks like a glowing screen.
Talon1024

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

Attempts to replace/improve Freedoom's ugliest textures:

My first attempt at making a texture out of this public domain photo. (Linked for size (512x512) and saving bandwidth)
I'm trying to make it into a better replacement for WALL63_1 (SP_ROCK1).
Also, a replacement for MFLR8_3

EDIT: Second attempt

Return to “Resources”